Water in my Chainstay

Old September 19th 05, 11:33 AM
TooSore

Default Water in my Chainstay

So here's the thing......

When it's been raining or when I've washed my bike down if I tip it up
onto its back wheel, water pours out of my chain stays - and I mean a
lot of water.

It's a Lemond Chambrey and there are holes in the end of the chainstay
(at the back) that seem designed to let water out but all the same I'm
concerned about water sitting in my frame

Is this normal (the water being in the stays not me worrying about it).

--
TooSore

Old September 19th 05, 11:42 AM
Tony Raven

TooSore wrote:
So here's the thing......

When it's been raining or when I've washed my bike down if I tip it up
onto its back wheel, water pours out of my chain stays - and I mean a
lot of water.

It's a Lemond Chambrey and there are holes in the end of the chainstay
(at the back) that seem designed to let water out but all the same I'm
concerned about water sitting in my frame

Is this normal (the water being in the stays not me worrying about it).

If you are worried, get some Waxoyl and squirt it in the holes. It will
prevent any corrosion starting.

--
Tony

Anon
Old September 19th 05, 01:33 PM
Arthur Clune

TooSore wrote:

Is this normal (the water being in the stays not me worrying about it).

Yes and yes.

The holes are there to let it out. It's a good idea to tip a steel bike
up to let any water out when you get back after a very wet ride.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune
Old September 19th 05, 02:11 PM
TooSore

Arthur Clune Wrote:
TooSore wrote:

Is this normal (the water being in the stays not me worrying about

it).

Yes and yes.

The holes are there to let it out. It's a good idea to tip a steel
bike
up to let any water out when you get back after a very wet ride.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune

Thanks Arthur, I had visions of my bottom bracket rusting off.

--
TooSore

Old September 19th 05, 03:37 PM
Pete Biggs

"TooSore" wrote in message

So here's the thing......

When it's been raining or when I've washed my bike down if I tip it up
onto its back wheel, water pours out of my chain stays - and I mean a
lot of water.

It's a Lemond Chambrey and there are holes in the end of the chainstay
(at the back) that seem designed to let water out but all the same I'm
concerned about water sitting in my frame

I don't know that bike but holes in stays are usually drilled as *air* holes
to assist with the welding process. So it wouldn't matter if air holes are
blocked to prevent water getting in. They won't help much in letting water
out anyway if chainstays slope downwards to the bottom bracket.

It's good to have a hole in the bottom bracket shell for drainage.

~PB

Old September 19th 05, 04:16 PM
Pete Biggs

Water may be getting in from the top of the seat tube. Not sure what but I
would try and do something about that.

~PB

Old September 19th 05, 04:20 PM
Arthur Clune

Pete Biggs wrote:
Water may be getting in from the top of the seat tube. Not sure what but I
would try and do something about that.

Grease the tube. You should have a drainage hole under the BB anyway.

Water gets inside bikes sometimes. As long as it can get out again, it's
no biggie.

--
Arthur Clune
Old September 20th 05, 05:12 PM
daren

....from someone with a titanium frame :-)

But I agree with the sentiment. If you are really concerned bring the
beauty indoors to dry out in the warm.

regards,
daren