Huffy leaves bankruptcy

Old October 18th 05, 04:08 AM
Michael Press

Default Huffy leaves bankruptcy

In article ,
Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:59:33 GMT, Michael Press wrote:

Up on a bicycle I am always pleased by the efficiency; you
are settling for less. With a more efficient bicycle you
can still put in the same effort to achieve your work-out
goals; problem is ... you will go faster!

So? What do you accomplish simply by going faster for the same effort? If
you have a limited amount of time and a certain fixed trajectory, it might
help. Seeing the countryside around your residence? Going faster doesn't
accomplish much there. Now, if you're going faster because you've gotten
better, stronger, that's something to be proud of. Simply because you're
on a different bike? Who cares? Besides your sponsors, of course.

Going fast is a thrill, not an obsession.

--
Michael Press
Old October 18th 05, 03:29 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 03:08:20 GMT, Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
Jasper Janssen wrote:

So? What do you accomplish simply by going faster for the same effort? If
you have a limited amount of time and a certain fixed trajectory, it might
help. Seeing the countryside around your residence? Going faster doesn't
accomplish much there. Now, if you're going faster because you've gotten
better, stronger, that's something to be proud of. Simply because you're
on a different bike? Who cares? Besides your sponsors, of course.

Going fast is a thrill, not an obsession.

Bicycles, downhills aside, don't get you going fast enough to be a speed
thrill. You need something motorised for that.

Jasper
Old October 19th 05, 12:00 AM
Claire Petersky

"Jasper Janssen" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 03:08:20 GMT, Michael Press wrote:
In article ,

Going fast is a thrill, not an obsession.

Bicycles, downhills aside, don't get you going fast enough to be a speed
thrill. You need something motorised for that.

Why are we setting downhills aside? Let's go down Kamber Road together at
50+ mph, and you can decide if it's a thrill or not.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old October 19th 05, 01:40 AM
Michael Press

Jasper Janssen wrote:

So? What do you accomplish simply by going faster for the same effort? If
you have a limited amount of time and a certain fixed trajectory, it might
help. Seeing the countryside around your residence? Going faster doesn't
accomplish much there. Now, if you're going faster because you've gotten
better, stronger, that's something to be proud of. Simply because you're
on a different bike? Who cares? Besides your sponsors, of course.

Going fast is a thrill, not an obsession.

Bicycles, downhills aside, don't get you going fast enough to be a speed
thrill. You need something motorised for that.

I am easily amused. Riding the ridge roads around here at
30-40 kph is a thrill.

--
Michael Press
Old October 19th 05, 01:07 PM
David Damerell

Quoting Claire Petersky :
"Jasper Janssen" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 03:08:20 GMT, Michael Press wrote:
Going fast is a thrill, not an obsession.

Bicycles, downhills aside, don't get you going fast enough to be a speed
thrill. You need something motorised for that.

Why are we setting downhills aside? Let's go down Kamber Road together at
50+ mph, and you can decide if it's a thrill or not.

It probably is, but a super-expensive light bike isn't going to help you
get that thrill, which is kind of where they started...
--
David Damerell flcl?
Today is Second Teleute, October.
Old October 19th 05, 04:14 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:00:49 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:
"Jasper Janssen" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 03:08:20 GMT, Michael Press wrote:
In article ,

Going fast is a thrill, not an obsession.

Bicycles, downhills aside, don't get you going fast enough to be a speed
thrill. You need something motorised for that.

Why are we setting downhills aside? Let's go down Kamber Road together at
50+ mph, and you can decide if it's a thrill or not.

Because a Huffy and a Colnago will go down hills at very nearly the same
speed. The inefficiencies on the Huffy are made up for by the extra
weight.

Jasper
Old October 19th 05, 04:16 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Quoting Claire Petersky :
wrote:
Going fast is a thrill, not an obsession.
Bicycles, downhills aside, don't get you going fast enough to be a
speed thrill. You need something motorised for that.

Why are we setting downhills aside? Let's go down Kamber Road
together at 50+ mph, and you can decide if it's a thrill or not.

It probably is, but a super-expensive light bike isn't going to help
you get that thrill, which is kind of where they started...

True. In fact, really cheap, really heavy bikes will be both stiff and
heavy for better downhilling!
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old October 19th 05, 04:19 PM
Werehatrack

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:08:40 +0000, Garrison Hilliard
wrote:

MIAMISBURG, Ohio – Huffy Corp. announced today it has emerged from bankruptcy
after receiving $50 million in loans from two financing corporations.

The 117-year-old bicycle and sporting goods company [snip]

....is now essentially a marketing arm of Asian manufacturers.

Huffy has about 110 workers and is headquartered in this Dayton suburb.

I have been unable to find any reference to Huffy having any US
production capability at this point, but I didn't look very hard
either.

“Huffy Corp. has now successfully completed a very difficult period in its long
history,” said John Muskovich, president and CEO. “We have accomplished all of
our major objectives for this process and have secured an exit financing
package, which along with the support from our trade suppliers will provide
assurance to our customers as to the strength of the new Huffy.”

Huffy said its board of directors has been reconstituted. Its new chairman is
Zhidong Liang, executive vice president of China Export & Credit Corp.

Mr Muskovich should count his days as numbered.

“Huffy Corporation is an important partner for the China-based companies which
manufacture its bicycles, and we look forward to a long and mutually beneficial
working relationship,” Liang said.

Translation: "Huffy will provide yet another conduit for US wealth to
be conveyed one-way to Asia, for as long as it takes for China to
complete the process of stripping the US of its ability to compete
with them in any area or to influence or restrict Chinese ambitions."

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old October 19th 05, 04:25 PM
Werehatrack

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:51:41 -0400, dvt wrote:

Rich wrote:

I'd weigh 100 lbs.

Call it the Huffy Diet and make millions!

I think Rich left out a "t".

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old October 20th 05, 12:04 AM
B.A.

"Michael Press" wrote in message
*snip*

Going fast is a thrill, not an obsession.

--
Michael Press

Says who?