Where are those statistics?

Old August 24th 07, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bob

Default Where are those statistics?

Hi All

I was at my son's school last night where the new head teacher was being
introduced. As this was a social evening I found a chance to introduce
myself to her and politely brought it to her attention that her new
school had nowhere to keep bicycles. This I pointed out hardly
encouraged the children to cycle to school and may have something to do
with approximately 0% of children using this mode of transport.

The new head made sympathetic noises but was interrupted by a senior
teacher who basically said they would like children to cycle but the
roads near the school were far too dangerous. It was not the time or
place to enter a debate but I was asked to come along to the next
parents council and see about encouraging cycling.

So to the title of the post. I intend to go along and point out that
despite the school's worries, cycling per mile is actually safer than
walking (about half the number of accidents as I recall). So can anyone
remember where these statistics are to be found?

Thanks a lot

--
geomannie
Old August 24th 07, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

bob wrote:

So to the title of the post. I intend to go along and point out that
despite the school's worries, cycling per mile is actually safer than
walking (about half the number of accidents as I recall). So can anyone
remember where these statistics are to be found?

http://www.cyclehelmets.org has quite a bit of stuff on general safety,
not /just/ about helmets. http://www.cyclehelmets.org/mf.html?1011 is a
good place to start.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old August 24th 07, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

cycling per mile is actually safer than
walking (about half the number of accidents as I recall). So can anyone
remember where these statistics are to be found?

www.statistics.gov.uk and search for passenger death rates. IIRC it's
around 30% safer per mile.

Rather than go for cycling being safer than walking, I'd argue that they're
about the same - it's easier for people to accept and I believe the per
hour data swaps the two around.

--
Mark T
Old August 24th 07, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 24 Aug, 11:49, bob
wrote:
[...]

Not any more, according to this

http://www.rsm.ac.uk/media/downloads/j06-08child.pdf

per 10m miles, for children, there were 1.08 ped deaths and 0.84
cyclist deaths in 1985, but in 2003 there were 0.27 and 0.55
respectively.

Still not very dangerous though really.

Old August 24th 07, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Mark T said the following on 24/08/2007 12:12:

Rather than go for cycling being safer than walking, I'd argue that they're
about the same

....as well as pointing out that if more kids did cycle or walk, the
roads around the schools would have less cars and so be safer. Just
like it was 15/20-odd years ago before every child had to be driven to
school.

When I lived opposite a school, I was actually told by a parent dropping
her child off (and illegally [1] blocking my drive as she did so) that
there were too many cars on the road which is why it was too dangerous
for lickle Tamara to walk. The irony was totally and utterly lost. I
happen to know that this person lived barely half a mile away.

[1] this is why it was illegal to block the drive:
http://www.pbhome.plus.com/school.png

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old August 24th 07, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:49:01 +0100, bob wrote:

So to the title of the post. I intend to go along and point out that
despite the school's worries, cycling per mile is actually safer than
walking (about half the number of accidents as I recall). So can anyone
remember where these statistics are to be found?

Thanks a lot

Google Road Casualties Great Britain 2005 and its in the last table of
the last spreadsheet.

There is also data that Tom of this parish has about cycling to school
with quite a good presentation he did IIRC.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell
Old August 24th 07, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

wrote:

Hi All

I was at my son's school last night where the new head teacher was being
introduced. As this was a social evening I found a chance to introduce
myself to her and politely brought it to her attention that her new
school had nowhere to keep bicycles. This I pointed out hardly
encouraged the children to cycle to school and may have something to do
with approximately 0% of children using this mode of transport.

The new head made sympathetic noises but was interrupted by a senior
teacher who basically said they would like children to cycle but the
roads near the school were far too dangerous. It was not the time or
place to enter a debate but I was asked to come along to the next
parents council and see about encouraging cycling.

Ask if the school has a travel plan. If not work with the school to
set one up. IIRC the government has set aside £22.5m over the next 3
years for English and Welsh schools outside London to spend on capital
projects such as cycle parking. In addition funding from the local
authority is available to improve on and off-road provision for
cyclists around schools, including toucan crossings, cycle links to
schools, bike priority schemes and traffic calming measures.

The following DfT guidance may be useful, and will probably have more
credibility among non-cyclists than cyclehelmets.org. It even has a
fair statement about helmet use.

However, I would certainly advise against a cycle permit scheme unless
the school is willing to administer a similar scheme for those who
want to walk, be driven or use public transport to get to school:
cycling should be seen as a normal activity, not one that needs a
special permit.

http://tinyurl.com/2kbku3 from:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/sustainabl...?page=10#a1065

=====QUOTE=====
A safer journey to school: a guide to school travel plans

More cycling
Regular cycling protects against heart disease, stroke and other
illnesses, and raises self-confidence and well being.

Most children own bicycles and many would like to use them for the
school journey, but very few do. Traffic danger is the main reason,
with cyclists among the most vulnerable road users. But where schools
have the benefit of a network of cycle routes and slower speeds, the
whole picture changes, and cycling can become a popular choice for
travel to school. Cycling gives children more freedom and has great
benefits for health: regular cycling can add years to life.

Reducing road danger
The key to meeting safety concerns is safety measures that give a real
reduction in road danger. In the Netherlands, as cycling has become
safer, casualties have fallen, even though the number of people
cycling has risen. Plans for changes in road layout around the school
should incorporate safer cycle routes. In co-operation with the local
authority and cycling organisations, schools can identify the best
routes for traffic-free and traffic-calmed cycling. This may mean
clearing, surfacing and lighting muddy tracks to make them usable
cycle paths, creating cycle tracks alongside roads, or marking cycle
lanes on roads while enforcing slower traffic speeds. Junctions can be
redesigned to give priority to cyclists. Cycle routes should be
continuous.

School cycle racks
Cycle routes alone are not enough to make cycling to school a
practical option. Cycle parking will be needed, preferably in a
covered area overlooked by classrooms or offices, and convenient for
the main entrance. Stands or racks should allow the cycle frame, and
not just the front wheel, to be locked to them using a 'D-lock' or
something similar. Smaller stands may be required for primary age
pupils. While providing secure stands, schools need to make pupils and
parents aware that if a bike is stolen the school will not be held
liable. Many insurance companies will cover bicycles under a standard
household contents policy, provided they are locked securely. Separate
insurance may be necessary for more expensive bikes. Postcode tagging
can be carried out by local police.

Cyclist training
Young cyclists need training to prepare for riding on roads. Most
local authority road safety departments offer cyclist training for
children aged ten and above, and can be invited into school to run
courses. Those that don't may be able to provide guidance and training
to enable the school to set up its own scheme. Instructors should be
experienced adult cyclists who have received training from a road
safety officer. Research shows that the most effective courses are
those which include on-road training. Children learn more if they take
the course over several weeks rather than one or two. Problem-solving
approaches, which teach 'cycling awareness', appear to make children
safer cyclists than more traditional, instruction based courses. As
with pedestrian training, it is important to make it clear that
courses will not automatically equip children to take to the road.
These decisions have to be made in the light of local conditions and
remain the responsibility of parents and children. Some road safety
departments offer one-to-one training on the route between home and
school. Others have run special courses for parents and children
cycling together.

Safety gear and advice
Cyclists are safer if they are more visible. Schools can help by
selling discounted reflective clothing and accessories. Children
should be advised to carry spare batteries for lights and change them
as soon as they run low. Helmets can reduce the severity of head
injuries in accidents (though their effectiveness diminishes with
speed). Helmets should be properly fitted, have a 'CE' mark and should
meet either the European standard BS EN1078:1997, or the American
standard SNELL B95.

Maintenance checks
Cycles ridden to school should be fully roadworthy and properly
maintained. Some schools offer classes in cycle repair. Road safety
officers or cycling organisations can help run maintenance check-ups.
It is useful if schools can keep spare sets of lights, locks, pumps
and repair kits to lend to children who have lost their own, and set
up a bike maintenance area.

Cycle permit schemes
Some schools operate a cycle parking permit scheme. This is a
contract, drawn up between the school, the pupil and the parents, to
set out the conditions for cycling to school and obtain the parents'
consent. Sample permits are available (see resource file). Permit
forms set out the school's cycling policy, while emphasising that the
decision on whether the child is competent to cycle remains with the
parent. Forms can also include advice on safety and insurance and
provide a record of the bicycle's make and serial number. Schools need
to decide what conditions they wish to attach to permits. These might,
for example, include that:

the bicycle is roadworthy and has passed a maintenance check
the cyclist has completed an approved training course
the bicycle will be securely locked in an approved area
the cyclist will follow a 'good cycling code' (see resource file).
Lockers and carriers
Schools can provide secure lockers to store cycling equipment and
reduce the number of books that children have to take home. Panniers
are recommended for carrying books on bikes.

Cycling events
Cycling can be promoted with special events at school such as a 'cycle
challenge': children are encouraged to try out a range of cycling
skills including riding slowly and around obstacles. Schools may like
to take part in national events such as charity bike rides.

Routes into the community
At Kesgrave High School in Suffolk, a network of traffic-free cycle
routes links nearby housing estates and enables pupils to cycle from
up to five miles away without going along a main road. Around 60% of
pupils come by bike, and traffic at the school gate is kept to a
minimum. Brian Hawkins, the school's deputy head, says: "The whole of
our local community is a learning resource because so many of the kids
will cycle to local facilities." The school actively encourages
cycling and provides secure cycle storage and lockers.

Journey focus
At Temple Moor High School in Leeds pupils in Year 7 are offered cycle
training with a special focus on the journey to school. Road safety
officers ride with them pointing out potential hazards and
recommending the best route.

Resource file
Right Track: Cycling awareness programme tutor's guide is available
from The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, Edgbaston
Park, 353 Bristol Road, Birmingham B5 7ST, tel 0121 248 2000, £52.50
for a pack of 10.

Code of Good Practice: The practical aspects of cyclists' training is
also available from ROSPA, price £5.

A sample school cycle parking permit is available from Sustrans with
the information sheet Cycling to School: Advice for parents and
schools. Also from Sustrans is The Good Cycling Code. PO Box 21,
Bristol BS99 4HA, both are free of charge.

Cycle bells, reflective tabards and bands are also available from
Sustrans.

Information about national cycling events is available from CTC,
Cotterell House, 69 Meadrow, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 3HS, tel 01483
417217, fax 01483 426994.
Old August 24th 07, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adrian Godwin

Paul Boyd usenet.is.worse@plusnet wrote:
...as well as pointing out that if more kids did cycle or walk, the
roads around the schools would have less cars and so be safer. Just
like it was 15/20-odd years ago before every child had to be driven to
school.

There have been suggestions here before that parking should be strictly
limited around schools to stop parents and children creating exactly the
hazards that scare them. There seems to be a move to do that at a school
near me : I'm not aware of any huge traffic accident rate so I presume
it's just an experiment (the parents did used to clog the road up badly).

3-4 years ago the speed limit on the road (wide, straight, with very
wide verges so houses are set well back, used by both residential
traffic and HGVs on the way to a trading estate) was reduced from 40
to 30. There were already crossing/pinch points at each end of the
school. Over the last year there have been further changes : yellow
lines on both sides of the road for about 100m each way and later,
bollards and fences stopping parking on the verge.

There are now 20 and 30 limit signs (the LED type) going up. I don't
know how they'll be used, but from the siting I suspect that they're
going to implement a 20 limit for some days or parts of the day only,
for the same stretch that has yellow lines.

It will be interesting to see how it works out, though I don't think
they'll get any useful accident-reduction data as the rate can't be
high at the moment.

-adrian

Old August 24th 07, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
p.k.

Mark T wrote:
believe the per hour data swaps the two around.

Per hour: the average cyclist risk is about 2.3 times the average pedestrian
risk

pk

Old August 24th 07, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

I believe the per hour data swaps the two around.

Per hour: the average cyclist risk is about 2.3 times the average
pedestrian risk

Phew, good job cycling is 4 times as quick

--
Mark T