How to Shave your Trials Tire?

Old October 4th 07, 11:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Probailer2

Default How to Shave your Trials Tire?

uni_mattster wrote:
EDIT: But didn't you strip your frame?

He got a new KH unicycle after he got sponsored by Kris Holm

Peter M

Edit: didn't read the last page

--
Probailer2

Supported by www.municycle.com

Jerrick wrote:

I wonder if more people will start putting some themes into their uni
design. Except Koxx, they already have the drug theme covered.

http://www.usenet.com
Old October 4th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
elastoplastscavenger

Triball wrote:
A question: What are the positive sides of shaving a tire anyways?

maximum grip on almost all surfaces except; loose dirt, mud and
polished/very smooth floors that are wet.

--
elastoplastscavenger
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 4th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

elastoplastscavenger wrote:
maximum grip on almost all surfaces except; loose dirt, mud and
polished/very smooth floors that are wet.

Add, ice, snow, rock, anything that isn't flat.

Infact, having a slick doesn't add any grip on any surface, it just
makes your ride smoother, and turning easier, and spins on the ground
easier, and spins in the air harder.

--
Borgschulze

'deviantART'
(http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
(http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
issue.
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 4th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Triball

And wheel walking is probably easier

--
Triball

Pay for you gas or loose your ID
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 4th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

Triball wrote:
And wheel walking is probably easier

Maybe, depends how the tire reacts with your shoes.

I think that it would be harder with my shoes, they have small close
together groves.

Old October 4th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Triball

Sometimes my foot gets stuck in the knob

Old October 4th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

Triball wrote:
Sometimes my foot gets stuck in the knob

I sometimes have a problem where I don't lift my foot up off the tire
near the end of the push, and my heel makes noise on the knobs.

Old October 4th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

Maybe it isn't so good for gliding though, as for me I need some good
friction between my foot and tyre to slow down - on the bald patches of
my tyre it just slides

borgschule wrote:

Infact, having a slick doesn't add any grip on any surface

I think we can safely say you have more grip on smooth surfaces, like
gym floors as there is more tyre touching.

--
jamessd

My videos:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBvnO6wVG0#GU5U2spHI_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xkZLQzvf2g
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mtnedg1YS8c
Add me:
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 4th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
elastoplastscavenger

Borgschulze wrote:
Add, ice, snow, rock, anything that isn't flat.

so why do they use slick tires wherever they are allowed in motor
racing on hard surfaces? the surface has to be very non-flat before
tread makes a difference, rough enough for the sticky out bits of the
surface to stick in between the treads on the tire.

look at the tread pattern on a tire, and look at the hard surface you
are riding or jumping on. with slick tires the whole surface of the
tire can deform into the macro and micro structure to give traction.
with a treaded tire you loose all the contact area between the tread
blocks because it cannot contact the surface.

'here is a link' (http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#tread) to the bike
gospel, and his tire page, according to sheldon brown.

--
elastoplastscavenger
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 4th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

jamessd wrote:
I think we can safely say you have more grip on smooth surfaces, like
gym floors as there is more tyre touching.

I somehow didn't think of polished surfaces, but that is probably
because I never get the chance to ride on one.

elastoplastscavenger wrote:
so why do they use slick tires wherever they are allowed in motor racing
on hard surfaces? the surface has to be very non-flat before tread
makes a difference, rough enough for the sticky out bits of the surface
to stick in between the treads on the tire.

look at the tread pattern on a tire, and look at the hard surface you
are riding or jumping on. with slick tires the whole surface of the
tire can deform into the macro and micro structure to give traction.
with a treaded tire you loose all the contact area between the tread
blocks because it cannot contact the surface.

'here is a link' (http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#tread) to the bike
gospel, and his tire page, according to sheldon brown.

This is a Unicycling forum, but yes, for something heavy and going
fast, it makes a big difference. You're also adding to the fact, a car
tire has a rectangular contact patch on the ground, while a Unicycle
tire is going to have a oval patch touching the ground.

--
Borgschulze

'deviantART'
(http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
(http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
issue.
http://www.usenet.com

How to Shave your Trials Tire? agentQ Unicycling 0 August 24th 07 02:05 PM
trials tire mawesome Unicycling 0 December 23rd 06 12:36 AM
3in. trials tire? mornish Unicycling 9 April 26th 06 01:08 PM
Trials Tire uni412 Unicycling 17 January 21st 05 04:36 AM
Tire For Trials On 24" pdc Unicycling 15 November 26th 04 03:54 PM