Statistics skewed by ER directive?

Old April 10th 18, 09:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Statistics skewed by ER directive?

An anecdote I was told the other day is very troubling.

A cyclist crashed & was taken to hospital. A nurse made notes. The
cyclist asked why the box was ticked that he'd been wearing a helmet.
The nurse replied they'd been instructed to assume a helmet was worn and
had been smashed if a cyclist presented without a helmet and had no head
injury.

Has this been observed in countries other than Australia?

--
JS
Old April 10th 18, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/10/2018 3:26 AM, James wrote:
An anecdote I was told the other day is very troubling.

A cyclist crashed & was taken to hospital. A nurse made
notes. The cyclist asked why the box was ticked that he'd
been wearing a helmet. The nurse replied they'd been
instructed to assume a helmet was worn and had been smashed
if a cyclist presented without a helmet and had no head injury.

Has this been observed in countries other than Australia?

I don't know but check boxes and other obsessive data
gathering brings out defiance in humans generally. Which is
why I'm "Asian Pacific Islander" on my driving license. They
would not accept "Human" for "Race", race being an
artificial construct with no upside. Hospitals, DOT, Census
etc - screw them all.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 10th 18, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 9:26:06 AM UTC+1, James wrote:
An anecdote I was told the other day is very troubling.

A cyclist crashed & was taken to hospital. A nurse made notes. The
cyclist asked why the box was ticked that he'd been wearing a helmet.
The nurse replied they'd been instructed to assume a helmet was worn and
had been smashed if a cyclist presented without a helmet and had no head
injury.

Has this been observed in countries other than Australia?

--
JS

This is why it is so important for the guy setting up the hypothesis and the questionnaire to go out in the field and work with the form-fillers, to see what they actually do. You'd be amazed at what simple instructions can be misinterpreted by people from a different background, a different social class (demographers cannot afford to be politically correct, because political correctness skews the result, every time), and a different education. Too many of the folk making up the questionnaires think that's the end of the job until they collate the numbers.

AJ
Straight as a die

Old April 10th 18, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 2:12:50 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:

I don't know but check boxes and other obsessive data
gathering brings out defiance in humans generally. Which is
why I'm "Asian Pacific Islander" on my driving license. They
would not accept "Human" for "Race", race being an
artificial construct with no upside. Hospitals, DOT, Census
etc - screw them all.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

There are motives other than defiance. A fellow I knew was wheeled into A&E where his wife was on duty. They were in the process of divorcing. She ticked the box for "Other" and then in the please-explain space wrote "Humanoid".

AJ
Fascinated by humanity. Not so keen on bots.

urc and urcm; this be skewed stats territory, do not read if you are of a gentle nature JMS UK 2 June 7th 10 03:04 AM
OT-Obama issued his first directive to kill just before they hid the eggs for his kids Cliff Racing 4 April 15th 09 04:38 PM
Bridge Statistics _[_2_] UK 4 September 4th 07 11:01 PM
Where are those statistics? bob UK 15 August 30th 07 12:31 PM
How to laugh with statistics Just zis Guy, you know? UK 12 December 2nd 05 10:44 PM