Choosing a pack-portable, road/trail pump

Old August 21st 05, 01:42 AM
Earl Bollinger

Default Choosing a pack-portable, road/trail pump

"SMS" wrote in message
Paul wrote:
Hey Guys,

I need a pump small enough to carry in my hydro-pack that works well
with road and mountain bikes. I would really like one with some sort
of gauge on it also. Any suggestions?

Paul

There are many of these available:

"http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47976767.htm" $11

"http://www.giyo.com.tw/prod04.htm" The GP-21 is rebranded by various
distributors, including Bike Gear, and is often sold in the bicycle
section of hardware stores for around $18-20. I have one, and it's fine,
but I've not tried to go past 80 psi or so.
"http://store.bicyclerevolution.com/pyduacmigafr.html"
"http://penncycle.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=4906"

"http://bicyclesource.us/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=4326"
Serfas Measuring Stick, $25

"http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=25418&lsubcat_id=1523&lcat_id =7608&referpage="
Crank Brothers Pro Mini Pump. $27.

"http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=25699&srccode=1749"
Supergo® MP1 Pump $13

"http://www.trianglemountainbikes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&currency=USD&prod ucts_id=234&source=Froogle"
Topeak Mini Master Blaster DX with Gauge

Have you every tried to actually use one of those mini pumps to actually
pump up a tire yet?
I have a couple in my junkbox, almost totally useless for pumping up bicycle
tires.
As far as I can tell the guage only tells you you have some pressure there,
no accuracy if any.
I use a Topeak Turbo Morph but I also have a nice tire guage that seems to
be a lot more accurate in any case.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=
I once strapped the Turbo Morph to the rack on my touring bike, rode for 100
miles or so, and the gauge sorta quit working after that, more like fell
apart.
The pump is still great but no guage.

Old August 21st 05, 04:28 AM
(PeteCresswell)

Per Eric:
That's what I did. I have one on each bike for just that reason. The
only thing wrong with the morph pumps is the clip that attaches them to
the frame, but since you plan on carrying on your back

One more strawman: I carry everything needed to fix/reinflate a tire in a
little sub-saddle wedge - well, maybe not so little.... but the Zefal doubleshot
fits in there quite nicely along with an extra tube or two, patch kit, shop rag,
tire irons...and a few other non-related items.

The advantage I see to that scheme is that I don't have to remember to carry
anything or put anything in my waist pack/camelback/whatever. It's just
*there*. Incremental weight of the empty wedge can't be more than an ounce
or so.
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 21st 05, 05:29 AM
(PeteCresswell)

Per Earl Bollinger:
Have you every tried to actually use one of those mini pumps to actually
pump up a tire yet?
I have a couple in my junkbox, almost totally useless for pumping up bicycle
tires.

Zefal DoubleShot: WTB Mutano Raptors - 200 strokes gets 'em to 35 psi.

Wouldn't even *think* of trying to inflate a road tire with it.
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 21st 05, 06:57 AM
SMS

Earl Bollinger wrote:

Have you every tried to actually use one of those mini pumps to actually
pump up a tire yet?

Yes. I have two mini pumps with gauges. They are fine for road tires.
Pumping up a MTB tire could be a career.

Never checked the accuracy, but it's close enough, and I didn't buy them
because they had a gauge. I've had them quite a while, and I think that
most of the older mini-pumps had gauges.