Need longer 28.6 diameter alloy stem

Old April 14th 04, 11:28 AM
John Latter

Default Need longer 28.6 diameter alloy stem

Hi,

I've just taken delivery of a new bike & I think the saddle stem might
not be long enough (gotta adjust front disc brakes before I go for a
ride) - can anyone recommend where I can get a longer 28.6 diameter
alloy stem from please?

Regards,

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
Old April 14th 04, 12:46 PM
Pete Biggs

John Latter wrote:
Hi,

I've just taken delivery of a new bike & I think the saddle stem might
not be long enough (gotta adjust front disc brakes before I go for a
ride) - can anyone recommend where I can get a longer 28.6 diameter
alloy stem from please?

What length is required (from bottom of post to saddle rail)? In-line or
layback type?

Some sites to browse:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/components.htm (if a road bike one
would do)

To increase choice, you could also consider a 25.0 post with a shim.

~PB

Old April 14th 04, 05:43 PM
Sandy Morton

In article , John Latter
wrote:
can anyone recommend where I can get a longer 28.6 diameter alloy
stem from please?

Longer than ??

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island
Old April 14th 04, 06:25 PM
davek

Longer than ??

a piece of string.

/coat

d.

Old April 14th 04, 06:28 PM
Zog The Undeniable

John Latter wrote:

Hi,

I've just taken delivery of a new bike & I think the saddle stem might
not be long enough (gotta adjust front disc brakes before I go for a
ride) - can anyone recommend where I can get a longer 28.6 diameter
alloy stem from please?

That would be a seatpost, then. Try www.wiggle.co.uk and remember you
need the stem inserted (huhuhuhuh, he said "inserted") at least an inch
below the bottom of the top tube.
Old April 14th 04, 06:29 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

That would be a seatpost, then. Try www.wiggle.co.uk and remember you
need the *stem*

Oh hell, now I'm at it.
Old April 14th 04, 07:32 PM
John Latter

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:46:49 +0100, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

John Latter wrote:
Hi,

I've just taken delivery of a new bike & I think the saddle stem might
not be long enough (gotta adjust front disc brakes before I go for a
ride) - can anyone recommend where I can get a longer 28.6 diameter
alloy stem from please?

What length is required (from bottom of post to saddle rail)? In-line or
layback type?

Some sites to browse:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/components.htm (if a road bike one
would do)

To increase choice, you could also consider a 25.0 post with a shim.

~PB

Thankyou Pete - and to the others who replied

I'm not very knowledgeable about bikes. The seatpost/stem which I have
at the moment is only about 10 inches long in total (ie the whole
thing - inc. the bit which narrows to take the saddle 'fixing'). It's
on the minimum insertion mark now but I think I'm gonna need a longer
one when I eventually adjust it for an optimum setting.

I intend to do this after I've sorted out the front disc brake.
No-one's talking to me on another thread where I asked for advice on
adjusting disc brakes so I would like to repeat the request here.

The bike I have (which arrived this morning) is a Jeep Comanche from
the Argos catologue. I've never seen a disc brake before but when I
looked at it (peering down from over the top of the handlebars) I
could see the left hand pad but nothing of the right hand pad so that
applying the brake looked as if it would catch the housing on the
righthand side.

I stuck an allen key behind the spokes to adjust the most obvious nut
determining how far the rh pad extrudes but it came out at an angle so
that when I applied the brakes it 'bent' the disc to the right (only
slightly of course) and I dunno if this is normal.

Don't know much at all really, which is why I would appreciate any
help.

Regards,

Old April 14th 04, 08:23 PM
Pete Biggs

John Latter wrote:
I'm not very knowledgeable about bikes. The seatpost/stem which I have
at the moment is only about 10 inches long in total (ie the whole
thing - inc. the bit which narrows to take the saddle 'fixing').

So that's about 250mm......

It's
on the minimum insertion mark now but I think I'm gonna need a longer
one when I eventually adjust it for an optimum setting.

340 or 350 mm seatposts are common enough. One of those should do you.

I intend to do this after I've sorted out the front disc brake.
No-one's talking to me on another thread where I asked for advice on
adjusting disc brakes so I would like to repeat the request here.

/snip
Don't know much at all really, which is why I would appreciate any
help.

Sorry I don't know anything worth knowing about disc brakes. Try the
rec.bicycles.tech newsgroup (and mountain biking ones) if you get no
advice here. Give people a bit of a chance first, though.

~PB

Old April 14th 04, 08:28 PM
Peter B

"John Latter" wrote in message

I'm not very knowledgeable about bikes.

Which is why you should have asked about 'em here before purchase and/or buy
from a reputable Local Bike Shop (for local people).

I intend to do this after I've sorted out the front disc brake.
No-one's talking to me on another thread where I asked for advice on
adjusting disc brakes so I would like to repeat the request here.

You'd have to be more specific about the make and model of brake, I did see
your earlier post but can't answer your query.
Decent disc brakes come with service instructions and/or online resources
provided by the manufacturer.

The bike I have (which arrived this morning) is a Jeep Comanche from
the Argos catologue.

Which is why things are going wrong for you, had you bought from a LBS they
should have adjusted the brakes before you rode off, these are safety
critical (bleedin' obvious) components, would you buy a new car and expect
to have to adjust the brakes, or a new VCR and expect to adjust the head?
Also a decent LBS would have made sure it's the right size so the seat post,
stem, whatever question wouldn't arise.

If the brakes don't work send the bloody thing back to Argos, it's not fit
for the purpose sold for and is in fact dangerous.
Then when you get your money back seek a little more knowledge and a decent
shop then buy a bike with only front suspension and ordinary rim (Vee or
linear pull, same thing different terminology) brakes.

Why? you may ask.
Well because good rear suspension is expensive so on a £250 bike you'll get
something that's heavy, perhaps unreliable and definately with poor
performance, other components will be downgraded to pay for the naff rear
sus.
Mtb disc brakes come into their own when the going gets wet and downhills
severe. For this purpose they need to be ultra reliable and very effective,
anything less defeats the object.
Rim brakes are more than adequate for fairer weather use on bridleways,
tow-paths and similar and good rim brakes will out-perform poor disc brakes
and prove more reliable, they just might not look so fashionable to the
uninitiated.

Sorry to be the one to tell you you are in the altogether but someone has to
:-)
--
Regards,
Pete