Cheema vs the MTBers.. (BC)

Old February 12th 18, 02:28 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Cheema vs the MTBers.. (BC)

At 11:03 AM 2/7/2018, [a friend] wrote:
http://www.squamishchief.com/news/lo...now-1.23166960

I guess the private land owner who first opened up his private land to the mountain bikers out of "graciousness", is now finding these mountain bikers as hard to remove as sh_t on a stick.... Once these mtbers get a foot in the door, you can never get rid of the ilk... Tough lesson to learn for any gullible and naïve private landowner, for sure... Sad smile emoticon Mountain bikers want to see private ownership rules whittled down so they can ride on private land.... That has been in the works for a long time... MTBers are still "squatters" on any land they build and ride on illegally. The sport is far from being ever called "legit", in my books!

Scandinavia (and great Britain?) have codified a "right of trespass" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam; https://www.treehugger.com/corporate...ndinavia.html). While it might make sense there, mountain bikers, of course, will always abuse that right and take it to extremes, including building their own trails.

"While the developer has allowed access to the land for the past 15 years, Cheema said roadblocks to development are forcing him to close the land for insurance reasons."

Dwayne Kress, organizer of the Sp’akw’us 50 race, said he is currently pursuing permits for a trail that will bypass the Cheema lands for the sake of the race and connectivity.

“My reaction to the fencing is it is disappointing, but I have an obligation to focus on my event,” said Kress.