Well finally, the rangers are ticketing the bikers who disobey thesingle-track rules (CA)

Old January 9th 18, 10:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Well finally, the rangers are ticketing the bikers who disobey thesingle-track rules (CA)

It seems to me that the number of people who understand the harm that mountain biking does - and who speak out about it - is increasing!

Mike

http://www.marinij.com/opinion/20180...orum-for-jan-9

Marin IJ Readers’ Forum for Jan. 9

POSTED: 01/08/18, 1:38 PM PST | UPDATED: 2 HRS AGO

Bikes are forbidden on trails for safety

Well finally, the rangers are ticketing the bikers who disobey the single-track rules.

As a hiker, equestrian and fellow biker, I have often wondered why the many trails that are open to bikers are not enough. When hiking or riding, I have encountered my fair share of “rogue” bikers.

The bike community tends to state those are rare bad apples, but forgets the damage one such biker can inflict on a hiker or equestrian. Let’s all be fair and remember the single-track rules are there for a reason. And that is to prevent injury.

The rules are not to be mean, or selfish.

Let’s all remember that a bike can’t stop on a dime when coming around a corner because of the physics of momentum and weight. That these doctors are ignoring the science of physics surprises me. That they feel so entitled to make their own rules doesn’t surprise me.

This is Marin. Come on, be ethical and plead guilty and change your ways. Set a good example for the rest of the community, especially teens.

* Carolyn Shadan, Tiburon

Bike community needs to speak up

I was not surprised by the Jan. 5 article on the scofflaw radicalized mountain-biking doctors. What insufferable arrogance. The Marin County Bicycle Coalition needs to face the fact that these two represent a significant portion of its supporters. Its “no comment” isn’t good enough.

Bad behavior by mountain bikers is what other trail users put up with every day.

I agree with Linda Novy. This is shameful behavior, especially by professional people who should be contributing to the community, not endangering it.

Let’s hope the punishment fits the crime.

Perhaps a five-mile stroll on a single-track trail with out-of-control mountain bikers passing at high speed would be an appropriate sentence.

* Lee Cordner, San Rafael