WHOOPS! Concussions and Mountain Biking

Old February 9th 18, 12:33 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default WHOOPS! Concussions and Mountain Biking

From: [a friend]
Subject: Concussions and MTB
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2018 11:41:43 -0800

Dorey’s first handful of concussions came from mountain biking as a kid. He used to black out for a few hours, ask people who he was and where he was, then feel everything click back into place. When, in his 20s, he began suffering concussions during his halfpipe runs, the symptoms started to change.

After one fall in 2012, when he was in his early 20s, Dorey felt something he had never felt befo abject panic.

“I’ve never had a panic attack, but it was like what I would imagine that would feel like. I just had this crazy anxiety, this fear and panic the world was going to end,” Dorey said.

“Since that one, the symptoms started shifting less from memory stuff to more anxiety, irritability, nightmares. I’ve been able to focus pretty well, but * I don’t really know how to describe them.. Nightmares. A lot more emotional.”

He continues to deal with those symptoms to this day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.2f3b19fccfca