Heather Wolfgang will be director of the new InterscholasticOregon Cycling league.

Old February 12th 18, 02:24 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Heather Wolfgang will be director of the new InterscholasticOregon Cycling league.

At 05:36 PM 2/8/2018, [a friend] wrote:
Maybe this is old news, but From a Dec 4 Article on Bike Portland:

Ever wished your child could compete on a cycling team based at their school? Now they can.

Today the National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA) announced that Oregon is the latest state to join what is already a bustling league with 800 school-based teams, 14,500 student athletes and 6,000 licensed coaches nationwide. NICA is a nonprofit founded in 2009 with a mission to use cycling as a way to foster a healthy lifestyle for young people in 6th through 12th grades. States with existings programs include: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Maryland, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Northern California, Pennsylvania, Southern California, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Heather Wolfgang will be director of the new Interscholastic Oregon Cycling league. Wolfgang recently moved to Portland from the San Francisco Bay Area where she helped grow the Norcal High School Cycling League, which boasts over 1,200 student-athlete members and is one of the largest NICA leagues in the country.

“A lot of people say that they wish they had something like this when they were in high school because of how inclusive and fun it is,” Wolfgang said in a NICA statement. “What we’ll be able to do is bring teens of all abilities, experiences, and backgrounds into the same space to create a truly unique experience. My favorite part of this organization is that we’ll help show teens what they’re capable of through riding bikes. I’m honored to be involved with the Oregon League and look forward to building up our youth cycling community across the state!”

https://bikeportland.org/2017/12/04/...-league-258460

Notice that he isn't even honest about what they are doing: he calls it "cycling", to avoid saying "mountain biking", because "cycling" has a better image.

Some of the great comments after the article:

‘Cyclekrieg'
The other bonus of NICA programs, not mentioned here, is the increase in neighborhood trails. The school teams don’t want to trek all over creation to do practices, so the teams themselves become the driver for local mountain biking trails.

Read "habitat destruction".

'I wear many hats'
This is awesome! Please Heather help to motivate your riders and riders’ families to advocate for local trail access. The silence of OBRA in trail access is deafening. We all need access to trail riding inside Portland. The trails here can handle it. We can share.

Also by 'I wear many hats'
I sure remember my first basketball game. It was located within walking distance to my house. It did not require an hours drive. Its asinine for environmentalists to promote driving an hour away to ride a bike, but it sure happens a lot in Portland. Sharing is a value we’re all taught in preschool, but as one edges closer to Forest Park the universal rule is forgotten in a haze of NIMBY-istic amnesia.

Also by 'I wear many hats'
Many do ‘ride’ them.

Illegally, he forgot to say.

However, the majority are cowed by Marcy Houle and Catherine Thompson, and do not tolerate any potential conflict. Riding would be better for the city, and for everybody, if all the trails were open. I am intimately familiar with most, if not all of the trail mileage in town, and yes, no one is out handing out tickets. As long as 2000 people are sleeping in the parks trail access takes a back seat. One is far more likely to get assaulted by angry NIMBY hikers than get a ticket by the parks department.