A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Robots are coming- for us!



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 8th 18, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,758
Default Robots are coming- for us!

https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/02/07...-see-cyclists/


--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ads
  #2  
Old February 8th 18, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,316
Default Robots are coming- for us!

On 2/8/2018 3:06 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/02/07...-see-cyclists/


And the article mentioned in one comment:
http://www.bikewalknc.org/2018/02/au...ce-technology/
which is probably the best summary I've seen on the technology.


--
- Frank Krygowski
  #3  
Old February 10th 18, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,907
Default Robots are coming- for us!

On Thu, 08 Feb 2018 14:06:58 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/02/07...-see-cyclists/


This might be part of the problem:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=bicycle+camo+clothing
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=bicycle+camo

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  #4  
Old February 11th 18, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 68
Default Robots are coming- for us!

Self driving cars will never be safe. There are too many things that cant be forseen.

  #5  
Old February 11th 18, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,907
Default Robots are coming- for us!

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 08:47:59 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

Self driving cars will never be safe. There are too many things that cant be forseen.


I've seen far too many experts produce erroneous pontifications and
failed predictions to accept such a statement at face value. At this
time, with todays available technology, there will certainly be
problems. There will probably be some regrettable incidents. However,
given sufficient time, funding, and a general tolerance of mistakes,
it will eventually work.

The comments I read about driverless vehicles sound more like fear of
the unknown, unwilling to take risks, and an addiction to the status
quo. Those are great ways to get nowhere. If you want to see
something happen, you need to take risks, learn as you go along,
ignore failures, ignore pundits, and don't allow anyone discourage
you.

I recently took on a project where I knew very little about the
technology. I knew it could be done, which was a big help, but I
needed a fast education. After a few frustrating evenings and asking
some good questions, and I'm slowly making progress. Forget about the
documentation, which is an incomprehensible English translation of the
original Chinese.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  #6  
Old February 11th 18, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,758
Default Robots are coming- for us!

On 2/11/2018 12:47 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 08:47:59 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

Self driving cars will never be safe. There are too many things that cant be forseen.


I've seen far too many experts produce erroneous pontifications and
failed predictions to accept such a statement at face value. At this
time, with todays available technology, there will certainly be
problems. There will probably be some regrettable incidents. However,
given sufficient time, funding, and a general tolerance of mistakes,
it will eventually work.

The comments I read about driverless vehicles sound more like fear of
the unknown, unwilling to take risks, and an addiction to the status
quo. Those are great ways to get nowhere. If you want to see
something happen, you need to take risks, learn as you go along,
ignore failures, ignore pundits, and don't allow anyone discourage
you.

I recently took on a project where I knew very little about the
technology. I knew it could be done, which was a big help, but I
needed a fast education. After a few frustrating evenings and asking
some good questions, and I'm slowly making progress. Forget about the
documentation, which is an incomprehensible English translation of the
original Chinese.


In my will, I made arrangements not including a plot and
marker. Your phrase 'regrettable incident' just screams to
be cut in stone; maybe I ought to reconsider.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #7  
Old February 11th 18, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,907
Default Robots are coming- for us!

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 13:17:11 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

In my will, I made arrangements not including a plot and
marker. Your phrase 'regrettable incident' just screams to
be cut in stone; maybe I ought to reconsider.


It's a term I've seen used to replace "accidental fatality" which
oozes sympathy and compassion, while begging not to be sued.

Topic drift at it's best:

I'm now on my 3rd will and working on my 4th. The problem is that
every time I inscribe someone as a suitable beneficiary, they either
drop dead or turn out to be inherently evil and unworthy of receiving
my modest inheritance.

One of my first jobs was sweeping the floor at a mortuary. Death does
really strange things to people (the friends and relatives, not the
deceased).

CNC milling has revolutionized engraving headstones and markers:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cnc+headstone+engraver

I've written poetry for inscription on tombstones. None has been
"published". There's usually not enough available space, it's
difficult to be clever in only a few words that rhyme, and the
headstone maker wants too much money for all the text. These might
help:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gravestone+humor
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+headstone

Where bicycles go to die:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+graveyard
Amazing.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  #8  
Old February 12th 18, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 68
Default Robots are coming- for us!

On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 1:17:18 PM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/11/2018 12:47 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 08:47:59 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

Self driving cars will never be safe. There are too many things that cant be forseen.


I've seen far too many experts produce erroneous pontifications and
failed predictions to accept such a statement at face value. At this
time, with todays available technology, there will certainly be
problems. There will probably be some regrettable incidents. However,
given sufficient time, funding, and a general tolerance of mistakes,
it will eventually work.

The comments I read about driverless vehicles sound more like fear of
the unknown, unwilling to take risks, and an addiction to the status
quo. Those are great ways to get nowhere. If you want to see
something happen, you need to take risks, learn as you go along,
ignore failures, ignore pundits, and don't allow anyone discourage
you.

I recently took on a project where I knew very little about the
technology. I knew it could be done, which was a big help, but I
needed a fast education. After a few frustrating evenings and asking
some good questions, and I'm slowly making progress. Forget about the
documentation, which is an incomprehensible English translation of the
original Chinese.


In my will, I made arrangements not including a plot and
marker. Your phrase 'regrettable incident' just screams to
be cut in stone; maybe I ought to reconsider.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


Is "regrettable incident" the same as horrible fatality?

Andy
  #9  
Old February 12th 18, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,758
Default Robots are coming- for us!

On 2/11/2018 5:43 PM, Andy wrote:
On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 1:17:18 PM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/11/2018 12:47 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 08:47:59 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

Self driving cars will never be safe. There are too many things that cant be forseen.

I've seen far too many experts produce erroneous pontifications and
failed predictions to accept such a statement at face value. At this
time, with todays available technology, there will certainly be
problems. There will probably be some regrettable incidents. However,
given sufficient time, funding, and a general tolerance of mistakes,
it will eventually work.

The comments I read about driverless vehicles sound more like fear of
the unknown, unwilling to take risks, and an addiction to the status
quo. Those are great ways to get nowhere. If you want to see
something happen, you need to take risks, learn as you go along,
ignore failures, ignore pundits, and don't allow anyone discourage
you.

I recently took on a project where I knew very little about the
technology. I knew it could be done, which was a big help, but I
needed a fast education. After a few frustrating evenings and asking
some good questions, and I'm slowly making progress. Forget about the
documentation, which is an incomprehensible English translation of the
original Chinese.


In my will, I made arrangements not including a plot and
marker. Your phrase 'regrettable incident' just screams to
be cut in stone; maybe I ought to reconsider.



Is "regrettable incident" the same as horrible fatality?


Mel Brooks, "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when
you fall into an open sewer and die."


--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"The robots are gone. Everyone is suffering." B. Lafferty Racing 1 July 23rd 06 05:10 PM
Robots ride bikes too Rich General 10 October 6th 05 09:11 PM
FBI turned AMERICA into a NATION of PROGRAMMED SLAVES and ROBOTS Phil, Squid-in-Training Techniques 12 November 17th 04 08:51 PM
FBI turned AMERICA into a NATION of PROGRAMMED SLAVES and ROBOTS Neil Brooks Techniques 1 November 15th 04 06:29 PM
FBI turned AMERICA into a NATION of PROGRAMMED SLAVES and ROBOTS Neil Brooks General 0 November 15th 04 05:06 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.