Ummm that was close!

Old January 5th 07, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
p.k.

Default Ummm that was close!

There was I cycling along, not a care in the world when the rim (ie breaking
surface) of my rear wheel disintegrated strip wise around part of the wheel.
The strip fouled the brake, the inner tube popped out and exploded and the
bike stopped dead.

Fortunately I was doing 2 mph on Kingston Bridge at the time not 30mph on
the
Downs in Wimbledon, so no harm was done.

Too much cycling on towpath grinding paste me thinks!

The upside is that worn out rims, worn smooth knobblies & drive chain with
too may miles means that the cost of repair would be prohibitive & I'll have
to buy a new bike instead!

Shame!

pk

Old January 5th 07, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

On 05/01/2007 18:09, p.k. said,
There was I cycling along, not a care in the world when the rim (ie breaking
surface) of my rear wheel disintegrated

Now you know why it's called a "breaking" (sic) surface :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old January 5th 07, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Xathras

"p.k." wrote:

There was I cycling along, not a care in the world when the rim (ie
breaking surface) of my rear wheel disintegrated strip wise around
part of the wheel. The strip fouled the brake, the inner tube popped
out and exploded and the bike stopped dead.

Fortunately I was doing 2 mph on Kingston Bridge at the time not 30mph
on the
Downs in Wimbledon, so no harm was done.

Don't they go with a bang. I had one go like in the dark. I though someone
was shooting at me.

--
Xathras have sad life, probably have sad death, but at least there is
symmetry

Old January 5th 07, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

Ouch! What are the tell-tale signs of an imminent collapse that can be
spotted when inspecting a rim? Most books just say look for wear...

Thanks,

Duncan.

Old January 5th 07, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Eilbeck

Xathras writes:

"p.k." wrote:

There was I cycling along, not a care in the world when the rim (ie
breaking surface) of my rear wheel disintegrated strip wise around
part of the wheel. The strip fouled the brake, the inner tube
popped out and exploded and the bike stopped dead.

Ouch! Almost anyway!

Fortunately I was doing 2 mph on Kingston Bridge at the time not
30mph on the Downs in Wimbledon, so no harm was done.

Don't they go with a bang. I had one go like in the dark. I though
someone was shooting at me.

I had a cheap tube on the road bike go bang in the kitchen one night.
Took me ages to work out what had happened. Nearly shat meself too!

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
Old January 5th 07, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Nutter

On 2007-01-05, Duncan Smith wrote:
Ouch! What are the tell-tale signs of an imminent collapse that can be
spotted when inspecting a rim? Most books just say look for wear...

Certain types of rim have a wear indicator, in the form of a notch
that appears as the rim wears and/or a label on the eyelet surface with
indicator markings showing how far the rim can wear before it should be
replaced. My Mavics have the label. You can also feel for hollowness I
believe, but having never worn out a rim I haven't tried this.

Also:

http://yarchive.net/bike/rim_wear.html

Regards,

-david

Unidentified drum brake needs, ummm, indentifying [email protected] Techniques 8 February 1st 06 07:24 PM
By 'eck, that were close... General Easterly UK 10 January 9th 06 03:08 PM
So WVM really does come too close wafflycat UK 1 August 23rd 05 08:58 AM
Car too close Marc Bishop Australia 7 June 15th 05 03:10 PM
So close... Danny Colyer UK 11 July 23rd 04 06:00 PM