Have too many bikes?

Old July 26th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ablang

Default Have too many bikes?

What are we doing?

Does anyone else here believe that they (or their SOs) have way too
many bikes?

How many bikes do you have? Of those, how many are actively being
used? How many are "project" bikes? If your project bikes outnumber
your active ones, you just might be obsessed w/ bikes.

I admit that I am.
Old July 26th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Ablang wrote:
What are we doing?

Does anyone else here believe that they (or their SOs) have way too
many bikes?

How many bikes do you have? Of those, how many are actively being
used? How many are "project" bikes? If your project bikes outnumber
your active ones, you just might be obsessed w/ bikes.

I admit that I am.

Too many bicycles is an absurd concept.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 26th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:
Ablang wrote:
What are we doing?

Does anyone else here believe that they (or their SOs) have way too
many bikes?

How many bikes do you have? Of those, how many are actively being
used? How many are "project" bikes? If your project bikes outnumber
your active ones, you just might be obsessed w/ bikes.

I admit that I am.

Too many bicycles is an absurd concept.

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful."
-- uttered by Mae West in some antiquated movie

I currently have 4 1/2 bikes. The 1/2 is a
Peugeot Rapport that somebody discarded.
I was intrigued by its 105 pedals with the
3-bolt toeclips. The one-piece hubs clinched
my decision to adopt it.

The others consist of my main bike which I've
previously described, my Sekine mixte (which I've
also previously described,) a road bike which
I cobbled together with the best parts derived
from 3 discarded Bike Boom road bikes, and my
beloved heron-edition Raleigh Twenty.

The Peugeot has a very pretty lugged frame. With
a lightweight wheelset and the right gearing,
it'd be a real go-getter. In fact I just might
integrate the frame w/ my cobbled-together roadie.
When I get a round tuit. Worrying about weird
French/Swiss/Italian threading is a greatly overblown
canard. It can be readily dealt with. OTOH,
cottered cranks present more difficulty -- the bike
shops always seem to have every cotter size & shape
except the one you need. Nevertheless, those slim,
cottered steel cranks are generally so lovely, and
so pleasingly sculpted.

Many other bikes have come 'n gone and passed
through my healing hands, like birdies with
broken wings that have mended and returned to
their free flight o'er this vale of tears.

I wish I could find some replacement 3-bolt toeclips
for those 105 pedals.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old July 26th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jul 26, 2:02*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

I wish I could find some replacement 3-bolt toeclips
for those 105 pedals.

$15 US at loosescrews.com. Those are very nice pedals if you can scare
up some slot cleats to use with them. I think they even had a special
cleat you could get for them as well that gave you a super positive
interface with the pedal.
Old July 26th 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jul 26, 2:25*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Ablang wrote:
What are we doing?

Does anyone else here believe that they (or their SOs) have way too
many bikes?

How many bikes do you have? *Of those, how many are actively being
used? *How many are "project" bikes? *If your project bikes outnumber
your active ones, you just might be obsessed w/ bikes.

I admit that I am.

Too many bicycles is an absurd concept.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.

Absolutely.

Anyway, I've got 3 that get regular use: Mountain, Road and
singlespeed/commuter (racks, flip-flop to fixed gear - all the stuff
for foul weather riding/commuting). Then there's the BMX - don't ride
it as much as I used to, but it's specific purpose and can't be parted
with. Then there's the foul-weather/loaner MTB, a full suspension
Marin that I mainly use in the winter when I don't want the nice
mountain bike coming out. Again, indespensible. After that there are
a couple parts/project bikes, but nothing I even pretend to intend to
ride. 2 are trying to become 1 as a giveaway, one is parts for
another project, etc. So yeah, there's a few, and that's the way it
is and should be
Old July 27th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Tom Keats" wrote: (clip) I was intrigued by its 105 pedals (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's designed to be ridden by 52 1/2 people?

Old July 27th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ablang wrote:
What are we doing?

Does anyone else here believe that they (or their SOs) have way too
many bikes?

Wouldn't that be sorta like "too many Beethoven symphonies?"

Bill

__o | Fear not the path of truth for the lack
_`\(,_ | of people walking on it.
(_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy
Old July 27th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jul 26, 2:21 pm, Ablang wrote:
What are we doing?

Does anyone else here believe that they (or their SOs) have way too
many bikes?

How many bikes do you have? Of those, how many are actively being
used? How many are "project" bikes? If your project bikes outnumber
your active ones, you just might be obsessed w/ bikes.

I admit that I am.

I don't believe I'm 'obsessed' with bicycles, but I'm the only one in
the family who takes care of them. On last count I have 14 bicycles in
the house. Many of those came from ones I pulled from somebodies trash
because they looked too good to scrap. I've given a few away that I
fixed up. I've received a couple that need repairs and were good for
parts for others I have. I put a motor on one and still ride that
around, because it's fun. Of all the bicycles and frames I have, five
are roadworthy, meaning you could grab it and ride. Some have minor
problems like flat tires, missing pedals etc. The only bicycle parts
I've had to 'buy' lately was a mirror and a brake cable. In my area,
on any given week, you can find whole bicycles or parts of bikes out
by the curb on trash day. I must admit I don't like to see perfectly
good, easily repairable bicycles thrown out, so I 'save them', repair
them and give them away or keep them to ride myself. I've only had
three of them stolen, and they were new bikes. I guess I like the used
older ones because I don't have to lock them up when I use them.
Old July 28th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
landotter writes:
On Jul 26, 2:02*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
I wish I could find some replacement 3-bolt toeclips
for those 105 pedals.

$15 US at loosescrews.com. Those are very nice pedals if you can scare
up some slot cleats to use with them. I think they even had a special
cleat you could get for them as well that gave you a super positive
interface with the pedal.

Thank you muchly for the tip.

I just realized, I practically have a cage pedal collection,
like it's a hobby or sumpthin'.

Maybe I'll stick the Maxxys with the fretworked letter 'M'
in their cages on the Sekine. But first I must have 'em
plated with red gold. I think that'd look pretty sharp
against the raven black paint on the frame. And usually
I find gold rather ostentatious and chintzy. But sometimes
it works.

I also possess a slide rule collection. I even know some
biographical info about William Oughtred and John Napier
(seperately, of course. I dunno if they ever corresponded
or collaborated in their mathematical ventures; I've always
enjoyed wondering if they did. Finding out fer sher one way
or the other would be a spoiler.)

I must be some kinda nerd.

The realization that I'm a pedal collector just snuk up on me.

I appreciate how cage pedals afford so much latitude for
artistic design. By comparison, so many cleated pedals
are such minimalist stubs, although I'm sure they fill
their purposes eminently well. Some of 'em would make
nice pocke****ch fobs or keychain danglers.

cheers,
Tom

Old July 28th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ilaboo[_3_]

How many bikes do you have? *

i have 5

tia