Krazy Glue and Roller Belts

Old May 4th 10, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Krazy Glue and Roller Belts

So I fixed the fan drive belt (about a 14" diameter) by making shallow
angle cuts to increase gluing surface. The original belt is probably
a vinyl compound -- it does not feel like rubber ala a vacuum cleaner
drive belt. Anyway, it did not bond immediately but did eventually.
It is a really brittle splice with good strength longitudinally -- but
not capable of being bent at a 90 degree angle without coming apart.
The belt goes over the rear drum and around a maybe 11/4" drive wheel,
so it has to take a pretty hard angle, but it seemed to work fine for
at least five minutes. I didn't feel like doing a roller work out
last night, so its hard to tell how long it will last. It is one of
those low confidence repairs. I would like to find something with a
more flexible bond. -- Jay Beattie.
Old May 4th 10, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On May 4, 7:21*am, Jay Beattie wrote:
So I fixed the fan drive belt (about a 14" diameter) by making shallow
angle cuts to increase gluing surface. *The original belt is probably
a vinyl compound -- it does not feel like rubber ala a vacuum cleaner
drive belt. *Anyway, it did not bond immediately but did eventually.
It is a really brittle splice with good strength longitudinally -- but
not capable of being bent at a 90 degree angle without coming apart.
The belt goes over the rear drum and around a maybe 11/4" drive wheel,
so it has to take a pretty hard angle, but it seemed to work fine for
at least five minutes. *I didn't feel like doing a roller work out
last night, so its hard to tell how long it will last. *It is one of
those low confidence repairs. *I would like to find something with a
more flexible bond. -- Jay Beattie.

Actually, it should be a 14" circumference. -- Jay Beattie.
Old May 4th 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 4 May, 15:27, Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]

I remember seeing a round section rubber (possibly 5/16") drive belt
which had a steel staple holding the ends together. possibly only on
a 1/8HP machine, cant remember for sure.
Old May 4th 10, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 4, 10:21*am, Jay Beattie wrote:
So I fixed the fan drive belt (about a 14" diameter) by making shallow
angle cuts to increase gluing surface. *The original belt is probably
a vinyl compound -- it does not feel like rubber ala a vacuum cleaner
drive belt. *Anyway, it did not bond immediately but did eventually.
It is a really brittle splice with good strength longitudinally -- but
not capable of being bent at a 90 degree angle without coming apart.
The belt goes over the rear drum and around a maybe 11/4" drive wheel,
so it has to take a pretty hard angle, but it seemed to work fine for
at least five minutes. *I didn't feel like doing a roller work out
last night, so its hard to tell how long it will last. *It is one of
those low confidence repairs. *I would like to find something with a
more flexible bond. -- Jay Beattie.

This sounds like a followup to a post I didn't read, so I'm not sure,
but - it sounds like you're trying to drive the cooling fan run by the
rollers?

I machined my own rollers long ago. This is the stuff I used for a
drive belt:
http://www.durabelt.com/hollowbeltinfo.php

It lasted a long time. Check the minimum diameter pulley on the
sizing chart.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 4th 10, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul O

Jay Beattie wrote, On 5/4/2010 10:21 AM:
So I fixed the fan drive belt (about a 14" diameter) by making shallow
angle cuts to increase gluing surface. The original belt is probably
a vinyl compound -- it does not feel like rubber ala a vacuum cleaner
drive belt. Anyway, it did not bond immediately but did eventually.
It is a really brittle splice with good strength longitudinally -- but
not capable of being bent at a 90 degree angle without coming apart.
The belt goes over the rear drum and around a maybe 11/4" drive wheel,
so it has to take a pretty hard angle, but it seemed to work fine for
at least five minutes. I didn't feel like doing a roller work out
last night, so its hard to tell how long it will last. It is one of
those low confidence repairs. I would like to find something with a
more flexible bond. -- Jay Beattie.

Jay,
Repairing this belt is going to be a tough application for any adhesive.
Your best bet would be a flexible urethane adhesive. You might want to
try something like Loctite® Hysol U-09-FL Adhesive. See:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#urethane-bonding-adhesives/=6xyw1m

No warranty expressed or implied...

It might be worth calling the manufacturer of the rollers and ask what
they recommend. Best of luck.

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

Old May 4th 10, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On May 4, 10:21*am, Jay Beattie wrote:
So I fixed the fan drive belt (about a 14" diameter) by making shallow
angle cuts to increase gluing surface. *The original belt is probably
a vinyl compound -- it does not feel like rubber ala a vacuum cleaner
drive belt. *Anyway, it did not bond immediately but did eventually.
It is a really brittle splice with good strength longitudinally -- but
not capable of being bent at a 90 degree angle without coming apart.
The belt goes over the rear drum and around a maybe 11/4" drive wheel,
so it has to take a pretty hard angle, but it seemed to work fine for
at least five minutes. *I didn't feel like doing a roller work out
last night, so its hard to tell how long it will last. *It is one of
those low confidence repairs. *I would like to find something with a
more flexible bond. -- Jay Beattie.

why not just take your belt that now works to an auto parts store and
have them match it up to a new belt? or is this not a standard v-
shape drive belt?

nate
Old May 4th 10, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On May 4, 8:14*am, N8N wrote:
[...]

It is a typical, flexible round-section belt used on rollers -- like
the main drive belt but much shorter. Very simple but hard to find
for my 25 y/o Tackx rollers. I am using a generic main drive belt. --
Jay Beattie.
Old May 4th 10, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kinky Cowboy

On Tue, 4 May 2010 07:27:49 -0700 (PDT), Jay Beattie
wrote:

Actually, it should be a 14" circumference. -- Jay Beattie.

5mm cross section rubber O-Rings are available in IDs from 110mm to
120mm in 1mm increments, which would cover the 14" circumference
range. Minimum order for those sizes is likely to be 20 pieces, but
they are only 50c ea.

(5.7mm cross section rubber O-Rings are available in IDs from about
340mm to 380mm in 20mm increments, which would cover the 14"
diameter).
Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary
Old May 4th 10, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
[...]

You're shopping in the wrong places. McMaster and other industrial
suppliers supply these, either in standard sizes, as custom made
lengths, or as raw belting that's joined together on site (usually
using heat). if McMaster doesn't sell the size you need,
I'd bet that 20 minutes with the phone and the yellow pages (Belting &
supplies) would turn up a supplier local to you, if you're in at all
industrial area.

--
sig 116
Old May 4th 10, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Jay Beattie wrote:
So I fixed the fan drive belt (about a 14" diameter) by making shallow
angle cuts to increase gluing surface. The original belt is probably
a vinyl compound -- it does not feel like rubber ala a vacuum cleaner
drive belt. Anyway, it did not bond immediately but did eventually.
It is a really brittle splice with good strength longitudinally -- but
not capable of being bent at a 90 degree angle without coming apart.
The belt goes over the rear drum and around a maybe 11/4" drive wheel,
so it has to take a pretty hard angle, but it seemed to work fine for
at least five minutes. I didn't feel like doing a roller work out
last night, so its hard to tell how long it will last. It is one of
those low confidence repairs. I would like to find something with a
more flexible bond. -- Jay Beattie.

If it's a poly belt (Tacx, Elite, others) light the ends,
press together, extinguish then sand back the raised edge.
That's essentially how they are made. I have one (Tacx) on
my sewing machine that's been fine for twenty years despite
a small radius drive pulley.

Rubber belts (Cinelli, Minoura, others), I can't help.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

More glue is better [email protected] Techniques 174 October 3rd 08 06:10 PM
modern marvels pays respect to glue (and loctite, crazy glue) bdbafh Techniques 0 January 18th 07 05:01 AM
Glue Noel UK 21 January 12th 07 01:08 PM
down to the belts.. or how long does a Bontrager race-x-lite tyre last? Bleve Australia 6 November 22nd 05 08:12 PM
Krazy Karl on Kampus data Unicycling 2 May 30th 05 10:24 PM