More facts about Helmets from the American College of Emergency Physicians(ACEP)

Old May 16th 10, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default More facts about Helmets from the American College of Emergency Physicians(ACEP)

"http://www.emergencycareforyou.org/YourHealth/InjuryPrevention/Default.aspx?id=1808"
Old May 16th 10, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

SMS wrote:
"http://www.emergencycareforyou.org/YourHealth/InjuryPrevention/Default.aspx?id=1808"

Yeah people who can't be bothered with sterile technique are
probably experts at statistical analyses:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/967022-overview

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 16th 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
z, fred

AMuzi wrote:
SMS wrote:
"http://www.emergencycareforyou.org/YourHealth/InjuryPrevention/Default.aspx?id=1808"

Yeah people who can't be bothered with sterile technique are probably
experts at statistical analyses:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/967022-overview

Significantly caused by hospital staff who don't wash their own hands.
Old May 17th 10, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 16, 2:41*pm, SMS wrote:
"http://www.emergencycareforyou.org/YourHealth/InjuryPrevention/Defaul..."

Why don't those idiots recommend the far superior and compliant steel
helmets???

If your kid isn't wearing a picklehaube, then you don't understand the
thrill of combining cycling with Jarts(tm).
Old May 17th 10, 06:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 16/05/10 20:41, SMS wrote:
"http://www.emergencycareforyou.org/YourHealth/InjuryPrevention/Default.aspx?id=1808"

puzzled

"540,000 bicyclists seek emergency care with injuries each year. Of
those, 67,000 have head injuries"

So about 12% with head injuries. Shouldn't we be concentrating on the
other 88% that require the emergency care?
Old May 17th 10, 08:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Tosspot wrote:

SMS wrote:

"http://www.emergencycareforyou.org/YourHealth/InjuryPrevention/Defaul...."

puzzled

"540,000 bicyclists seek emergency care with injuries each year. Of
those, 67,000 have head injuries"

So about 12% with head injuries. *Shouldn't we be concentrating on the
other 88% that require the emergency care?

I'm curious what percentage of car accident victims who seek emergency
medical care have head injuries.

And why weren't they wearing their helmets?

Chalo
Old May 17th 10, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Chalo wrote:
Tosspot wrote:
SMS wrote:
"http://www.emergencycareforyou.org/YourHealth/InjuryPrevention/Defaul..."

puzzled

"540,000 bicyclists seek emergency care with injuries each year. Of
those, 67,000 have head injuries"

So about 12% with head injuries. Shouldn't we be concentrating on the
other 88% that require the emergency care?

I'm curious what percentage of car accident victims who seek emergency
medical care have head injuries.

And why weren't they wearing their helmets?

They were enclosed in a steel cage with side impact support beams,
safety glass, multiple air bags that cushion their body including their
head, a padded dash, a collapsible steering column, and crumple zones.

Whatever your feelings on bicycle helmets, the "driving helmet" schtick
is as meaningless and irrelevant as the "magic foam hat" schtick. In
fact both are indications that the writer has no knowledge of the
subject at all.
Old May 17th 10, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 16, 3:41*pm, SMS wrote:
"http://www.emergencycareforyou.org/YourHealth/InjuryPrevention/Defaul..."

Yes, let's look at how propaganda is written:

"Bicycle helmets are nearly 90 percent effective in preventing brain
injuries, according to NHTSA."

You recall that there has been just ONE study that claimed such a high
protection level, right? That one was the case-control study of self-
selected subjects done in 1989 by Thompson & Rivara, already
thoroughly debunked. AFAIK, there has been no corroboration of that
level of protection from any case-control study, even T&R's own
followup studies; and the large population studies find far smaller
"protection," down into the negative values.

So how honest is it to quote _only_ the maximum outlying measurement
while ignoring the rest?

"Universal bicycle helmet use by children ages 4 to 15 would prevent
39,000 to 45,000 head injuries."

Sure - if you're foolish enough to take the number of head injuries of
kids and multiply by 0.85, that's the number you'll get. But
universal helmet use has already been tried, and it's failed.

And BTW, could you please define "head injury" specifically? Hmm -
does it include minor scratches, bruises, etc. anywhere above the
neck, just as it did in T&R's 1989 study?

"About 540,000 bicyclists seek emergency care with injuries each
year."

Damn that bicycling! It's so DANGEROUS! But don't tell people that
basketball causes 690,000 ER visits per year, because that would put
the numbers into context, and we don't want that! And good God, don't
let them know about the literally millions who come to ER after
falling down stairs each year!

"Of those, 67,000 have head injuries and 27,000 of them have injuries
serious enough to be hospitalized."

But of course, getting kids' helmet use rates up to near 90% hasn't
changed the percentage hospitalized due to serious head injury.

And note the lack of the word "head" in the second clause. Looks like
that's not 27,000 _head_ injuries causing hospitalizations; it's
27,000 injuries anywhere on the body, most of which have nothing to do
with a helmet.

Now what was that definition of "67,000 head injuries" again? Oh yes,
any slight injury above the neck - not brain injury. That also
justifies the common claim that 75% of bike fatalities "involve" a
head injury. "Look at this guy - the truck flattened his chest, and
he got a slight scratch on the back of his head. That 'involves' a
head injury!"

"It doesn't matter if we're honest or not. We're lying for their own
good!"

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 17th 10, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 17, 8:40*am, SMS wrote:
Chalo wrote:
Tosspot wrote:
SMS wrote:
"http://www.emergencycareforyou.org/YourHealth/InjuryPrevention/Defaul..."
puzzled

"540,000 bicyclists seek emergency care with injuries each year. Of
those, 67,000 have head injuries"

So about 12% with head injuries. *Shouldn't we be concentrating on the
other 88% that require the emergency care?

I'm curious what percentage of car accident victims who seek emergency
medical care have head injuries.

And why weren't they wearing their helmets?

They were enclosed in a steel cage with side impact support beams,
safety glass, multiple air bags that cushion their body including their
head, a padded dash, a collapsible steering column, and crumple zones.

Damn. All that safety gear didn't SAVE THEM?
Shows how very badly we need to immediately institute a compulsory
helmet use law for all motor vehicle occupants!
Think of THE CHILDREN!!!! IF ONLY ONE LIFE IS SAVED!!!

Whatever your feelings on bicycle helmets, the "driving helmet" schtick
is as meaningless and irrelevant as the "magic foam hat" schtick. In
fact both are indications that the writer has no knowledge of the
subject at all.

My admittedly scanty "knowledge" includes seeing a couple of cyclists
of "non-mainstream physical appearance" being hassled fairly big-time
by nasty cops who finally had, while Austin's helmet law was briefly
in effect, a way they could "legally" hassle people they hate, and
write at least one ticket, for starters, while doing so.
Sorta like the Arizona "show me your papers" law, to put things in
perspective.

You can call it "schtick" but "helmets for cagers" is a deft reaction
based on cyclists being scapegoated while far larger social costs are
incurred by other users of the ROW. And bathtubs, too, of course! Hey--
anyone using a ladder, click it or ticket!

I saw someone recently get KO'd in a low-speed fall in a group bike
ride. His expensive Bell helmet broke impressively, but later, when
closely compared with my identical example, not a bit of compression
of the magic foam could be seen. IOW, he landed hard enough to get a
brain injury (and a fatal helmet injury g) while the foam DID NOT
WORK (just to make sure to get that through your, um, hearing
apparatus) in the manner touted, by compressing.
Hence, "magic foam hats"-- ridiculing misplaced faith in non-effective
objects.

If you're rooting for helmets, you're rooting for helmet laws. So, if
you're not in favor of compulsory helmet use laws, what are you doing
here?
--D-y
Old May 17th 10, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 17, 9:40*am, SMS wrote:
Chalo wrote:
Tosspot wrote:
SMS wrote:
"http://www.emergencycareforyou.org/YourHealth/InjuryPrevention/Defaul..."
puzzled

"540,000 bicyclists seek emergency care with injuries each year. Of
those, 67,000 have head injuries"

So about 12% with head injuries. *Shouldn't we be concentrating on the
other 88% that require the emergency care?

I'm curious what percentage of car accident victims who seek emergency
medical care have head injuries.

And why weren't they wearing their helmets?

They were enclosed in a steel cage with side impact support beams,
safety glass, multiple air bags that cushion their body including their
head, a padded dash, a collapsible steering column, and crumple zones.

And yet, those folks _still_ made up the largest number of victims of
serious and fatal head injuries in the U.S.

Doesn't matter if they died, right? Doesn't matter if their air bag
didn't save them, and doesn't matter if something like this
http://casr.adelaide.edu.au/developments/headband/
could do the job much more inexpensively.

Hey, what's a couple ten thousand motorists? We've got to get busy
saving the lives of those few hundred bicyclists! _Those_ are the
ones who cause all the cost to society!

- Frank Krygowski