how does the brain work?

Old April 29th 17, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default how does the brain work?

One thing I have thought about when doing
something that does require some thinking but
all in all not a lot, and then you do the whole
thing the second or third time around, then it
is done like very much faster, and then you
think "wow, what did I do differently?", and
there is never a good answer to that, but you
must have done SOMETHING differently, right?
Or maybe just a lot of things?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old April 29th 17, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 10:42:46 PM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
One thing I have thought about when doing
something that does require some thinking but
all in all not a lot, and then you do the whole
thing the second or third time around, then it
is done like very much faster, and then you
think "wow, what did I do differently?", and
there is never a good answer to that, but you
must have done SOMETHING differently, right?
Or maybe just a lot of things?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

There is also brain matter inthe spinal column and repition can put memory there. It's why you react so fast to things such as a hot stove. The impulse doesn't have to travel all the way to the brain or from the brain in the head. Plus, repition strengthens the ability to do anything.

Cheers
Old April 29th 17, 12:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

You have left out observing analyzing new planning details along the repeated path to 'completion' thus attenuation learning.

Commonly experienced driving/riding a new route. On the way out is twice as subjectively long as the way back.

Leads to mistakes, no ?
Old April 29th 17, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 7:42:46 PM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
One thing I have thought about when doing
something that does require some thinking but
all in all not a lot, and then you do the whole
thing the second or third time around, then it
is done like very much faster, and then you
think "wow, what did I do differently?", and
there is never a good answer to that, but you
must have done SOMETHING differently, right?
Or maybe just a lot of things?

As someone that has a severe brain injury I can tell you that the brain can work around damage to some extent. My memories are gone but I can form new memories. As I was recovering it was like I had to grow up again but in high gear. I was doing stupid things just like any teenager would do. But that only lasted a couple of months.

The intellectual portion of my mind was undamaged but perhaps that is a portion that cannot be "partially" damaged.

I could remember my friend's faces but not their names. I could remember their names but not connect them with the faces. I had to have someone tell me their names a half dozen times before I could reconnect faces and names at the same time.

I cannot remember words though a part of my work required extensive use of the English language both in reports and discussions. To this day I have to look up words on the Internet "synonym/antonym" sites and dig through them to find the word I need.

My technical ability is totally unimpaired though I can't remember doing it.. Set me down in front of a computer and I can still program without hardly a hitch other than the time since last I did it.

So yes, repetition strengthens the connections. The question is: what are these connections. My experience suggests that unlike my previous belief that memories are all stored together, that they are stored in separate areas according to subject.

Is this the same with everyone or just a sample group?
Old April 29th 17, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 4:11:57 AM UTC-7, wrote:
You have left out observing analyzing new planning details along the repeated path to 'completion' thus attenuation learning.

Commonly experienced driving/riding a new route. On the way out is twice as subjectively long as the way back.

Leads to mistakes, no ?

Again so in many cases I had to start totally from scratch you are entirely correct but I think that part of it is that on the "way out" you are being extremely alert whereas on the repeat times you are ignoring unimportant details.
Old April 30th 17, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Again so in many cases I had to start totally
from scratch you are entirely correct but
I think that part of it is that on the "way
out" you are being extremely alert whereas on
the repeat times you are ignoring
unimportant details.

Interesting. The mind relaxes so the time, even
if comparable in length, does not appear to be
as long the nth time around...

Old April 30th 17, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.smartcockpit.com/flight-operations.html
Old April 30th 17, 06:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Might be a quetion better answered in sci.psychology.
Old April 30th 17, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/30/2017 12:57 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:
Might be a quetion better answered in sci.psychology.

Sure but define 'work'!

Most meander or barely tick over or plod. Few actually work.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 1st 17, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 10:03:07 -0500, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/30/2017 12:57 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:
Might be a quetion better answered in sci.psychology.

Sure but define 'work'!

Most meander or barely tick over or plod. Few actually work.

Indeed, one only has to watch people drive to realize that the simple
act of operating a motor vehicle exceeds the information processing
capacity of about 1/3 of us. And that's without the distractions of
cell phones, etc. Once you add in those, about 70% of the population
can only barely adequately operate a motor vehicle.

Does TM have a brain? JimmyMac General 0 November 9th 10 03:19 PM
Does TM have a brain? JimmyMac Recumbent Biking 0 November 9th 10 03:19 PM
Does TM have a brain? JimmyMac Recumbent Biking 0 November 9th 10 02:34 PM
Does TM have a brain? JimmyMac Social Issues 0 November 9th 10 02:31 PM
what is uni-ing doing to your brain? wobbling bear Unicycling 14 November 24th 04 12:19 PM