Selecting a Bike

Old July 13th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Katuzo

Default Selecting a Bike

I dont like Giant because they were among the first who used the
crappy compact road geometry. So it's personal.

Compact geometry (CG) is ugly (or hideous in the extreme cases) compared
to having a horizontal top tube, but what else is inherently wrong with CG?

So your main objection to the Giant is the way the frame looks? Did I
get that right? Or does the geometry affect it's handling and
performance capability?

Try both and get the
one you like better as they are comparable so go by feel.

Trying out the bikes would be nice, but all they do is let you sit on
them,

Do you have any other alternate suggestions for bikes similiar to the
Cypress, I'd like to know before I go and
buy one this week? I beleive someone mentioned a Cannondale, but
didn't give a model number. Just try to please keep the cost below
$500, which I feel is reasonable.

I did tried out a nice Cypress at my LBS yesterday. I do have a
question however, I know the balls of your feet are suppose to touch
while sitting on the bike, however, at this point how high should your
heels be?
Katuzo
Old July 13th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Katuzo wrote:
I dont like Giant because they were among the first who used the
crappy compact road geometry. So it's personal.

Compact geometry (CG) is ugly (or hideous in the extreme cases) compared
to having a horizontal top tube, but what else is inherently wrong with CG?

So your main objection to the Giant is the way the frame looks? Did I
get that right? Or does the geometry affect it's handling and
performance capability?

Compact geometry really has very little effect on either (and any weight
savings in the frame are eliminated by the need for a longer and
stronger saddle post). If the look does not offend you, compact geometry
is not really a demerit.

I did tried out a nice Cypress at my LBS yesterday. I do have a
question however, I know the balls of your feet are suppose to touch
while sitting on the bike, however, at this point how high should your
heels be?

I suggest reading this article on bicycle fit:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 13th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Only giant road bikes use this. Hybrids generally use a traditional
diamond frame so it doesnt matter. Where are you at? I dont think I
would buy a bike from a shop without riding it!!!! That's the only
advantage of a shop. You might as well go to www.bikesdirect.com and
save a lot of $$$$. At 5'7" you should need an 18" frame.
For most efficient pedaling your knee should be slightly bent with the
ball of your foot on the pedal in its lowest position.

Old July 13th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Katuzo

On Jul 13, 1:15 pm, wrote:
[...]

Giant bikes can only be bought from a register LBS. No internet sales.
Must be bought in person,
Katuzo
Old July 16th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Katuzo

I like to announce that I am now the proud owner of a Giant Cypress
bicycle. I like to take this time to thank all of you, for your
helpful insights, experience and help you have given me to help me
make my choice a wise one. It was truly appreciated.
Katuzo

Old July 16th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ian Murray

On Jul 12, 8:25*am, Katuzo wrote:
Just for the record, I've looked and there are no places that let me
demo a bike that is within 50 miles of where I live.

When I did look at the Sedona yesterday, one place had one that had a
14" frame, and it was the only one they had and told me it would fit,
however, I tried out a 16" frame the day before, and I was able to
touch both heels to the floor on it.
Thats why I don't trust sales people.

Why the Sedona, there are alot of Giant dealers in my area (16), they
get high ratings, and there are within my price range (less than
$500). Plus the girl at the store explained that a Sedona would be
more versatile and more comfortable and be able to ride on trails,
while the Cypress would not. Now I know that the Cypress tire is wide
enough (38cm), to be comfortable, and the Cypress is capable of trail
riding if I ever wish to take a trip to the park and watch the birds
or go fishing. Hopefully, it will be able to handle that if there is
still dew on the grass with not that big of an decrease in safely.

Still have some issues I'd like to resolve however.
What are the disadvantages of a woman's bike over a man's?
My dad (who'se 86) rides a bike, and a few years ago, he lost his
balance getting on the bike outside of a supermarket, and did major
damage to the inside of his thighs. Now he rides a women's bike, and
he likes that just fine.
Thanks
Katuzo

I got a new Giant Tran Send LX a couple of weeks ago, and I love it.
I find it is a very nice cross between a road bike
and a mountain bike. I was looking for a bike that would be good for
the same kind of riding it sounds like you want to do. I used to be
quite into mountain biking, but I am 51 now, and I want to take it
easier. This is the perfect bike for me, and I would recommend it.
Good luck,

Ian
Old July 26th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Claire Petersky

"Katuzo" wrote in message

How far do I plan on riding? On a daily ride, they say you must
exercise your heart for 30 minutes. Including warm up and cool down,
that would probably be 35 minutes. How far can you go on a bike in 35
minutes? I really don't know.

I hope by now you have a sense of how far you can go in 30 minutes. For me,
when I was just starting out, that would have been about 5 miles.

How's it going with your new bike?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky