Labour MP Margaret Hodge floors cyclist whilst talking on mobile phone

Old May 3rd 13, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
CJB

Default Labour MP Margaret Hodge floors cyclist whilst talking on mobile phone

Labour MP Margaret Hodge accused of flooring cyclist with her car door while talking on mobile phone

* Former children’s minister swung open door into path of overtaking cyclist
* Witness said he saw MP using her mobile phone while opening the door
* Hodge said: 'I was holding my phone but I was not using it’

By RYAN KISIEL and JASON GROVES

PUBLISHED: 00:10, 3 May 2013 | UPDATED: 00:10, 3 May 2013

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ile-phone.html

Labour MP Margaret Hodge has been accused of striking a cyclist with her car door while talking on her mobile phone.

The former children’s minister was canvassing in Barking, East London, when she swung open the door into the path of an overtaking cyclist, who crashed into it.

Witness Paul Ayer, 48, who took the photograph of Mrs Hodge with the cyclist, said he saw the MP using her mobile phone while she was opening the door of the parked car.

Mr Ayer claims Mrs Hodge was using the mobile phone when she opened the door.
Old May 3rd 13, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

CJB wrote:
[...]

He took photographs on his mobile phone of the aftermath and says a
man who was with Mrs Hodge and described himself only as a
‘councillor’ suddenly became ‘aggressive’.

Mr Ayer said: ‘I’m sure she had the phone by her head and was on it
when she opened the door, but she denies it.

‘I was driving home from work and was just by my house when I could
see a car door opening onto the road while a cyclist was about to
pass.

‘I was driving towards the vehicle and slowed down because I could
already predict there was going to be a collision.

‘The cyclist just slammed into the car and fell into my half of the
road. I quickly pulled over and took out my phone to record the
incident in case he was seriously hurt.

‘There was damage to his bike, the chain had come off and his light
had been smashed with the debris on the road.

‘Margaret was at first shocked and left it to her passenger to check
he was not hurt, but was later very apologetic. The cyclist said he
was alright and was just a bit shook up.

‘The guy was a real gentleman and accepted it was an accident. A lot
of people would have tried to make more of it in today’s compensation
culture.'

Although the cyclist was not seriously hurt, his bike was left
damaged and broken pieces of its smashed front light were left in the
road.

The door to Mrs Hodge’s silver Toyota Prius was warped out of shape
due to the impact hitting it back on its hinges.

Mrs Hodge said: ‘It was a very stupid thing to do. I was incredibly
apologetic and fortunately the man was not hurt.

'He accepted my apology and we shook hands. I was holding my phone as
I got out of the car but I was not using it.’

both guilty of a lack of due care and attention.

Old May 3rd 13, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 03/05/2013 11:53, CJB wrote:

[...]

*Far* be it from me to defend Margaret Hodges, but when was it made an
offence to use a mobile phone whilst sitting in, getting into or getting
out of a car?
Old May 3rd 13, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave- Cyclists VORC

On 03/05/2013 11:53, CJB wrote:
Labour MP Margaret Hodge accused of flooring cyclist with her car door while talking on mobile phone

Cyclist clearly failing to use observation, anticipation & hazard
awareness skills.

He should have been charged with criminal damage to the car door.

--
Dave - Cyclists VORC
Bicycles are for Children. Like masturbation, something you should grow
Old May 3rd 13, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

"Dave- Cyclists VORC" wrote in message
On 03/05/2013 11:53, CJB wrote:
Labour MP Margaret Hodge accused of flooring cyclist with her car door
while talking on mobile phone

Cyclist clearly failing to use observation, anticipation & hazard
awareness skills.

He should have been charged with criminal damage to the car door.

Maybe it'll persuade him to wear protective clothing and a helmet on the
road in future if he's unable to "risk compensate" adequately.

Old May 3rd 13, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 03/05/2013 20:34, Dave- Cyclists VORC wrote:

On 03/05/2013 11:53, CJB wrote:

Labour MP Margaret Hodge accused of flooring cyclist with her car door
while talking on mobile phone

Cyclist clearly failing to use observation, anticipation & hazard
awareness skills.

He should have been charged with criminal damage to the car door.

It *is* odd that cyclists expect sufficient clearance when being
overtaken that they can perform a deviation in course as wide as they
choose (the "wobble") and still not be hit even when they suddenly veer
into the path of overtaking traffic, whilst on the other hand, they (or
some of them at least) cannot be trusted to do a simple thing like stay
a few feet away from the offside of a stationary passenger vehicle where
disgorging of its occupants (with always at least one alighting from the
offside) is easily prdictable and whose occupants can actually be seen
(by those who can be bothered to look).

I typically travel along highways faster than a cyclist would and could
therefore claim that I need even more notice of a vehicle door being
opened in my path, yet in probably something approaching a half million
miles of driving in urban areas, I have never even come close to hitting
a vehicle's opening or opened door, or an emerging vehicle occupant.
Old May 4th 13, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave- Cyclists VORC

On 03/05/2013 11:53, CJB wrote:

Labour MP Margaret Hodge accused of flooring cyclist with her car door
while talking on mobile phone

Cyclist clearly failing to use observation, anticipation & hazard
awareness skills.

He should have been charged with criminal damage to the car door.

It *is* odd that cyclists expect sufficient clearance when being
overtaken that they can perform a deviation in course as wide as they
choose (the "wobble") and still not be hit even when they suddenly veer
into the path of overtaking traffic, whilst on the other hand, they (or
some of them at least) cannot be trusted to do a simple thing like stay
a few feet away from the offside of a stationary passenger vehicle where
disgorging of its occupants (with always at least one alighting from the
offside) is easily predictable and whose occupants can actually be seen
(by those who can be bothered to look).

I typically travel along highways faster than a cyclist would and could
therefore claim that I need even more notice of a vehicle door being
opened in my path, yet in probably something approaching a half million
miles of driving in urban areas, I have never even come close to hitting
a vehicle's opening or opened door, or an emerging vehicle occupant.

You have hit the nail squarely on the head Mr N.

If cyclists need 2 metres (or whatever idiotic figure they use this
week) clearance when a car overtakes them, surely they should allow the
same? Or at least have the common sense to allow a doors width?

And on a daily basis, millions of cars pass parked cars closer & and at
higher speed - but hitting the door is almost unheard of.

Old May 4th 13, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Cassandra[_6_]

On Fri, 03 May 2013 20:34:26 +0100, Dave- Cyclists VORC
wrote:

On 03/05/2013 11:53, CJB wrote:
Labour MP Margaret Hodge accused of flooring cyclist with her car door while talking on mobile phone

Cyclist clearly failing to use observation, anticipation & hazard
awareness skills.

As you clearly have major psychological problems sharing the road with
other road users, perhaps you should brush up on these basic motoring
skills ?
Old May 4th 13, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave- Cyclists VORC

wrote:

On 03/05/2013 11:53, CJB wrote:
Labour MP Margaret Hodge accused of flooring cyclist with her car door while talking on mobile phone

Cyclist clearly failing to use observation, anticipation & hazard
awareness skills.

As you clearly have major psychological problems sharing the road with
other road users,

Only the sponging freeloaders on unsuitable vehicles - or cyclists as
they are known.

perhaps you should brush up on these basic motoring
skills ?

I don't have to. I have passed a test of competence, unlike cyclists.

Old May 4th 13, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Cassandra[_6_]

On 03/05/2013 11:53, CJB wrote:

[...]

I've never opened a car door into ther path of another road user
because all my vehicles are fitted with a reflective piece of glass
bolted to the door

Margaret Hodge JNugent UK 125 May 12th 13 11:52 AM
Lorry driver 'over limit and talking on mobile when he killed cyclist' Uncle Spam UK 9 November 14th 10 10:18 AM
Where is a mobile phone :-) PEO from ITALY UK 1 October 27th 06 08:12 PM
mobile phones whilst cycling? MartinM UK 79 October 10th 06 11:14 PM
Cyclist with mobile phone Gags Australia 2 August 25th 04 01:12 PM