Typical weight of a dual suspension bike

Old February 15th 07, 11:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
SomeGuy

Default Typical weight of a dual suspension bike

Wrote:
I get the feeling that sub 15kg is a good aim for a dually ?

For an XC duallie, 12kg is a good aim. Under 13kg is alright, but I
wouldn't ride anything heavier than that.

Why is it that you want a squishy bike? With the budget you have, I
strongly believe you will be happier riding a hardtail.

--
SomeGuy

Old February 15th 07, 12:16 PM posted to aus.bicycle
petulance

On Feb 15, 10:20 pm, SomeGuy SomeGuy.2m1...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Wrote:

I get the feeling that sub 15kg is a good aim for a dually ?

For an XC duallie, 12kg is a good aim. Under 13kg is alright, but I
wouldn't ride anything heavier than that.

Hurrah! I can blame my bike for my slowness on the single track.

Old February 15th 07, 12:19 PM posted to aus.bicycle
petulance

On Feb 15, 6:42 pm, "just us" wrote:
When I was shopping for my bike I got it in my head I wanted a really light
one which would "race" up the hills. (wasnt looking for a MTB, but a
Hybrid). Anyway, told one LBS that I was after a lighter bike and he looked
at me and simply said "consider this - if you lost 5 kgs you wouldnt need a
lighter bike!"
What an insult - but true
Kathy

Not all of us have the luxury of losing 5 kilos. We'll end up looking
like walking skeletons ...

And isn't there a power to weight trade off anyway ... there is only
so much weight you can lose before it affects your ability to churn
out those Watts.

Old February 15th 07, 09:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle
SomeGuy

petulance Wrote:
On Feb 15, 6:42 pm, "just us" wrote:
When I was shopping for my bike I got it in my head I wanted a really

light
one which would "race" up the hills. (wasnt looking for a MTB, but a
Hybrid). Anyway, told one LBS that I was after a lighter bike and he

looked
at me and simply said "consider this - if you lost 5 kgs you wouldnt

need a
lighter bike!"
What an insult - but true
Kathy

Not all of us have the luxury of losing 5 kilos. We'll end up looking
like walking skeletons ...

And isn't there a power to weight trade off anyway ... there is only
so much weight you can lose before it affects your ability to churn
out those Watts.

I guess that depends on how much extra weight you are carrying around
with you . I get fed the lose weight line occasionally (I'm a bit of
a weight weenie tragic), but given my BMI is smack bang in the middle
of the normal range I'm not sure exactly where I'm supposed to go. Not
to mention the BMI 'may overestimate body fat in athletes and others
who have a muscular build'.

So I concentrate on my bike instead :-).

--
SomeGuy

Old February 15th 07, 10:16 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Plodder

wrote in message
oups.com...
Fair points. But I'm not looking to compete in the next MTB world
champs. I'm looking to get a replacement for my 10 year old hard-tail
which finally wore out its welcome on the Andersons fire trail a few
weeks back. That was only a $400 bike back then and the quality of
parts have been high enough for my usage.

I get the feeling that sub 15kg is a good aim for a dually ?

Not sure what the weights are for these, but what are peoples opinions
on:
- Mongoose Wing Super ($1100)
- Appollo Vanquish ($700)
- Learsport (top model dually) ($700)

In my shop I've had the first two. I don't carry Learsport. My comments:
Mongoose Wing Super - Nope. Pogo stick on two wheels, heavy and feels odd.
Too hard to climb with and seems unstable going down.
Apollo Vanquish - BIG nope! I've had two returns that have broken at the
left rear dropout. Apollo has been fine with warranty but one bike (which
I'll be returning to Apollo today, swapping it for a couple of kid's bikes)
is the second broken by the same customer (so that's three returns all up).
To be fair, the Apollo does have a sticker warning that it's not suitable
for off-road use.

Both these models came with the shop when I bought it in November (JET
CYCLES KELMSCOTT - MENTION THIS NEWSGROUP TO GET A DISCOUNT!! - there's my
plug! :-P ) I won't be replacing them. I could have sold my stock several
times but I've advised potential buyers not to consider these bikes if they
want to go off-road. I prefer to sell them to someone who just wants a
shopping bike or school bike and are clear on the limits of the bike.

Really (and this is what I tell customers), if you're going to ride trails
these bikes are capable of handling, you don't need a dual suspension.
Trails that are technical enough to justify a dually will kill bikes at the
level at which you're looking. Buy a semi-decent hardtail (Giant Thermo 1 is
selling well for me, as is the Giant Talon). Stick a decent suspension
seatpost on it if you need a bit of extra cush.

My shop caters mainly to the mid-range/casual rider. I won't be carrying
duallies once these things go. I'd rather have no duallies than bad ones. In
my opinion (which was the same before I bought my shop), a shop which tells
you (or agrees with you) that a dually of that level is good for riding
trails lacks integrity. I'd shop elsewhere.

If you're determined to buy a cheap dually, please buy it from someone who
doesn't want to sell it to you. At least you're likely to get honest service
when (not if) you break it.

My 2c worth...

me

Old February 15th 07, 10:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Plodder

"SomeGuy" wrote in message

petulance Wrote:
On Feb 15, 6:42 pm, "just us" wrote:
[...]

Som time ago it occurred to me that I need less belly or more gears. Since I
have more money that willpower I bought the gears :-P

BTW - that's not to say I'm rich, just that I have so little willpower it
doesn't take much money to overtake it

me

Old February 16th 07, 12:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
SomeGuy

Plodder Wrote:
Buy a semi-decent hardtail (Giant Thermo 1 is
selling well for me, as is the Giant Talon). Stick a decent suspension
seatpost on it if you need a bit of extra cush.

Sound advice. A much more sensible way to obtain the extra comfort
level.

--
SomeGuy

Old February 16th 07, 02:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
kanangara

Plodder Wrote:
Som time ago it occurred to me that I need less belly or more gears.
Since I have more money that willpower I bought the gears :-P

Nope you've got that wrong. You need less gears & more beer.

Parbs

--
kanangara