Unicon 14: results 10km

Old July 28th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Default Unicon 14: results 10km

tholub wrote:
Heck, I could probably do 28.13km in an hour on a track; in RTL training
I did over 20km in under 48 minutes on rolling terrain, and that was on
a 29er and included a UPD. But obviously Chuck could destroy 28.13km
if he decides to do so.

Sorry Tom, but you averaged a lot less than 28km/hr on the RTL time
trial, which was fairly flat/rolling terrain The track Patrick rode
was actually very difficult to maintain speed. I had a go and kept
overshooting every corner. Road speeds should be higher.

--
GizmoDuck

The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details.
Old July 28th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

GizmoDuck wrote:
Sorry Tom, but you averaged a lot less than 28km/hr on the RTL time
trial, which was fairly flat/rolling terrain The track Patrick rode
was actually very difficult to maintain speed. I had a go and kept
overshooting every corner. Road speeds should be higher.

The RTL time trial had three hills which required downshifting on a
29er--far from ideal conditions for that equipment setup--and I UPDed
on two of the downshifts. It was also during a thunderstorm. Even so,
I averaged 24.7 kph. (The RTL web site still has our team numbers
wrong; I finished in 50:59, not Chris Labonte).

On a time trial on a track or purely level ground, a geared 36er should
be something like 10% faster than a geared 29er, just due to the gear
ratio.

--
tholub
Old July 30th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

Cool. The top times are coming in for geared unicycles, now. People are
getting good at riding them.

GizmoDuck wrote:
I agree that all the unlimited records will fall once people go onto
geared; but the hour record, for instance, at 27.18km around a 400m
track is still insanely fast on a fixed wheel.

Technically, all of the unicycles in the race were fixed wheel or fixed
gear. The definition of fixed wheel or fixed gear is that they are
direct drive and missing a freewheel feature. There are almost no
freewheeling unicycles around.

Consult the late, great 'Sheldon Brown'
(http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_e-f.html) under fixed gear.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith
Old July 30th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

harper wrote:
Cool. The top times are coming in for geared unicycles, now. People are
getting good at riding them.

Technically, all of the unicycles in the race were fixed wheel or fixed
gear. The definition of fixed wheel or fixed gear is that they are
direct drive and missing a freewheel feature. There are almost no
freewheeling unicycles around.

Consult the late, great 'Sheldon Brown'
(http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_e-f.html) under fixed gear.

Good point. Maybe we should call them singlespeed unicycles? But then
what does that make your Harper Epicyclic hub? It has gears, but is a
singlespeed.

Fixed-axle-to-crank unicycle just doesn't quite have the same ring to
it.

And is there any reason we need to follow bicycling convention? They
don't call their geared bicycles G-bikes do they?

Old July 30th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

GizmoDuck wrote:
Good point. Maybe we should call them singlespeed unicycles? But then
what does that make your Harper Epicyclic hub?

You got your geared unicycles and you got your ungeared unicycles.
Simpler, you got your unicycles and your subset, the geared unicycles.

Old July 30th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

harper wrote:
You got your geared unicycles and you got your ungeared unicycles.
Simpler, you got your unicycles and your subset, the geared unicycles.

An ungeared unicycle

I didn't think of that!

But I still liked fixed unicycle. Then we could abreviate it to a
funicycle. Or a Funi. It would be much less of a mouthful than saying
'ungeared unicycle'.

~~~~~~
*edit*

I thought of a better one. How about calling them Unguni's? That
would make a lot of sense.

Old July 30th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

GizmoDuck wrote:

I thought of a better one. How about calling them Unguni's? That
would make a lot of sense.

Ding! Winner!

How long does it take to remove the gearing in these UnGUni's?

Old July 30th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

harper wrote:
Ding! Winner!

How long does it take to remove the gearing in these UnGUni's?

Ok, here is the updated list for Dustin:

1 Chuck Edwall 20:01:40 Guni 36/150mm
2 Beau Hoover 21:33:10 Guni 36/150mm
3 Dustin Schaap 21:33:80 Unguni 36"/100mm cranks
4 Tony Melton 21:36:80 Guni 36"/140mm cranks
5 Sam Wakeling 21:46:10 Unguni 36"/97mm cranks
6 Ken Looi 22:00:80 Guni 29"/125mm cranks
7 Thomas Olsen 22:14:90 Unguni 29"
8 Arne Tilgen 22:22:20 GUni 36"
9 Roger Davies 22:38:80 Guni 36"
10 Scott Wilton 22:40:50 Unguni 36"

Old July 30th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

harper wrote:
Ding! Winner!

How long does it take to remove the gearing in these UnGUni's?

Technically, theres is still a forward and reverse gear in these
Unguni's, but assuming that they will mostly be used in the forward
mode, there is no need to remove the reverse gear. It is useful when
idling.

IUF Rules-10km thieum Unicycling 1 July 13th 08 06:38 PM
Pacing for a 10km TT [email protected] Racing 20 June 2nd 06 12:57 PM
1st 10km on the KHS folder... C.J.Patten General 1 June 2nd 05 12:27 AM
1st 10km on the KHS folder... C.J.Patten UK 0 June 1st 05 05:15 PM
10km stretch on Beach Rd DaveB Australia 4 May 26th 04 04:45 AM