Cycling Perth and footpaths

Old February 15th 07, 08:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Default Cycling Perth and footpaths

On Feb 15, 6:02 pm, MikeyOz MikeyOz.2m1...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Bleve Wrote:

Having ridden past a number of r*nners who have spontaniously changed
direction and thus, been a very close call, I can fully understand why
a cyclist may wish to warn you that they're coming.

and as I said in the last post....

1. I was not RUNNING, I was barely walking
2. I can understand and appreciate the ding, ding
3. What p*ssed me off was the way it was done, I guess you had to be
there just gets lost in translation
4. During the run I had 3 other riders pass me, with a solitary Ding as
they approached me, sweet! thanks mate.
5. If it happens again I will make it so he won't have to use his hands
to ring the bell next time, he will be able to use sphincter control.

forecheck into the river!

Old February 15th 07, 09:54 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Plodder

"MikeyOz" wrote in message

Plodder Wrote:

Signage at the bottom of Barrack St says that the footpath is a
temporary
shared path (supposedly while the construction's going on) so the guy
on the
bike was within his rights...

Did not see a sign, running again tomorrow morning so will check for
it, however, still doesn't mean he has the right to ring his freakin
bell at me like I should not be on the footpath.

I can see the reason why in these situations sometimes people use the
path for exactly the reason you stated above, but I still have the
right to use it and not get a "ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding...."
get off the path you goddam walker bell ringing.

as it was it was the hardest I have run for ages and I was trying not
to collapse on said footpath at the time. So unless it was a "If you
do collapse, which it looks like you are can you collapse to the grass"
bell ringing.

--
MikeyOz

Fair call - aggressive bell ringing is an irritation that also promotes the
idea that ANY bell ringing is demand (not a request) to give space rather
than (ideally) a 'just letting you know I'm here' tinkle.

However, having been caught so many times by people plugged into their iPods
and wandering around the shared paths not hearing my bell I can also
understand why someone would keep ringing until there's a visible response
from the ringee.

Funny how attitudes toward bells vary. Some people don't mind being warned
that there's a cyclist approaching, some glare as though they're offended,
some seem to deliberately obstruct the path at the sound of the bell, etc.
If I think like a motorist (and many park/shared path users drove to the
park) I could easily equate bell ringing with someone honking their car horn
at me when I've done nothing wrong - an act of aggression. I can understand
the glares in that context (doesn't mean I agree, condone or support). I
think it's high time there was an education campaign to inform people that
ringing a bell is not the equivalent of aggressively honking a car horn.
Ideally ringing a bell is a simple 'be aware' message. Perhaps then other
shared path users (note: I'm not confining my comments to pedestrians -
other cyclists are also in this mix) would be more aware of their
behavioural responsibilities.

Toodles,

me

Old February 15th 07, 10:12 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

MikeyOz wrote:

5. If it happens again I will make it so he won't have to use his
hands to ring the bell next time, he will be able to use sphincter
control.

Footpath rage happening here. Get over it Mikey, it's not worth the aggro.

Theo

Old February 16th 07, 12:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

Theo Bekkers wrote:
MikeyOz wrote:

5. If it happens again I will make it so he won't have to use his
hands to ring the bell next time, he will be able to use sphincter
control.

Footpath rage happening here. Get over it Mikey, it's not worth the aggro.

Theo

I thought the same thing. It's not the bell that's the problem , it's
Mikeys attitude that needs fixing. If a bell upsets you that much then
maybe you're over training.

Friday
Old February 16th 07, 12:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
byron27

Friday Wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:
MikeyOz wrote:

5. If it happens again I will make it so he won't have to use his
hands to ring the bell next time, he will be able to use sphincter
control.

Footpath rage happening here. Get over it Mikey, it's not worth the

aggro.

Theo

I thought the same thing. It's not the bell that's the problem , it's
Mikeys attitude that needs fixing. If a bell upsets you that much then
maybe you're over training.

Friday

maybe too many coffee chills??

gee i miss those.

--
byron27

6'5", curly hair, bit like krusty the clown i spose

Old February 16th 07, 01:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

byron27 wrote:
Friday Wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

Footpath rage happening here. Get over it Mikey, it's not worth the
aggro.

I thought the same thing. It's not the bell that's the problem , it's
Mikeys attitude that needs fixing. If a bell upsets you that much
then maybe you're over training.

maybe too many coffee chills??

Needs less coffee and more chill.

Theo

Old February 16th 07, 04:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Feb 13, 9:53 am, SteveA SteveA.2lx...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Law here is that cyclists over 12yo cannot cycle on footpaths. Differs
from some other parts of Australia where you can ride on the footpath if
you are accompanying an under 12yo.

From my experience, the law isn't enforced much by the police.

We seem to have a high level of incompetence among pedestrians,
cyclists and drivers here. On roads, footpaths and cycle paths.

I ride the last few hundred metres in to work on the footpath.
This is along Bannister Rd in Canning Vale, where the speed
limit is 70kph, there is zero reserve between the LH lane and
the footpath, and it is full of freaking big trucks. No way
I am going to ride along the road here.

In my defense, pedestrians in the Canning Vale industrial
area are almost non-existent. The main hazard is crossing
driveways.

Old February 19th 07, 12:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bugbear

On Feb 16, 1:46 pm, wrote:
On Feb 13, 9:53 am, SteveA SteveA.2lx...@no-

mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Law here is that cyclists over 12yo cannot cycle on footpaths. Differs
from some other parts of Australia where you can ride on the footpath if
you are accompanying an under 12yo.

From my experience, the law isn't enforced much by the police.

We seem to have a high level of incompetence among pedestrians,
cyclists and drivers here. On roads, footpaths and cycle paths.

I ride the last few hundred metres in to work on the footpath.
This is along Bannister Rd in Canning Vale, where the speed
limit is 70kph, there is zero reserve between the LH lane and
the footpath, and it is full of freaking big trucks. No way
I am going to ride along the road here.

In my defense, pedestrians in the Canning Vale industrial
area are almost non-existent. The main hazard is crossing
driveways.

Yep I know that road. You have my sympathy. I'm feeling lucky that I
am able to bypass Canning Vale industrial area by using the Roe Hwy
bike path...

Cycling around Perth andrew Australia 0 February 5th 07 04:58 PM
Riding on footpaths Tom N Australia 27 October 25th 05 08:07 AM
Footpaths for me Mark Lee Australia 33 April 2nd 05 04:47 AM
Cycling on footpaths. Is now OK Lisci UK 15 July 25th 04 06:33 PM
Cycling on public footpaths al_Mossah UK 45 January 15th 04 10:35 AM