P-plater caught towing cyclist

Old February 14th 07, 11:48 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

Default P-plater caught towing cyclist

Ok, whoever it was, put your hand up!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...405329485.html

A teenage P-plate driver has been allegedly caught using his car to tow
a man on a bicycle near the NSW city of Newcastle.e

Police said they were called to an incident on Maitland Road at
Mayfield, in the city's west, at about 8.55pm (AEDT) yesterday.

Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at about
60km/h.

The car was later stopped on Shortland Esplanade at Nobbys, in the
city's east, where the 17-year-old driver, from The Junction, was issued
with a traffic infringement notice.

AAP

Old February 15th 07, 12:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Friday wrote:
Ok, whoever it was, put your hand up!

Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at
about 60km/h.

Not me. In my youf we used to get a tow from a mate's motorcycle by holding
hands with the passenger, but that was long before helmets (for both cycles
an motorcycles) and when cycling was still safe. Never went over 50mph
before we chickened out. :-)

Theo

Old February 15th 07, 12:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

Friday wrote:
Ok, whoever it was, put your hand up!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...405329485.html

A teenage P-plate driver has been allegedly caught using his car to tow
a man on a bicycle near the NSW city of Newcastle.e

Police said they were called to an incident on Maitland Road at
Mayfield, in the city's west, at about 8.55pm (AEDT) yesterday.

Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at about
60km/h.

The car was later stopped on Shortland Esplanade at Nobbys, in the
city's east, where the 17-year-old driver, from The Junction, was issued
with a traffic infringement notice.

AAP

I don't get it ... why wasn't the cyclist charged? I have occasionally
"grabbed a tow" from a truck or bus, the driver was never consulted :-)
Old February 15th 07, 01:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-02-15, Patrick Keogh (aka Bruce)
Friday wrote:
The car was later stopped on Shortland Esplanade at Nobbys, in the
city's east, where the 17-year-old driver, from The Junction, was issued
with a traffic infringement notice.

I don't get it ... why wasn't the cyclist charged? I have occasionally
"grabbed a tow" from a truck or bus, the driver was never consulted :-)

He got away obviously.

--
TimC
It is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt ax. It is equally vain
Old February 15th 07, 03:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Evan

Friday wrote:

Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at about
60km/h.

Only doing 60k. Obviously the report is wrong. The cyclist was actually
pushing the Car. The P-Plater had run outta fuel.
Old February 15th 07, 03:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
vaudegiant

http://tinyurl.com/2fhequ

A teenage P-plate driver has been allegedly caught using his car to
tow
a man on a bicycle near the NSW city of Newcastle.e

Police said they were called to an incident on Maitland Road at
Mayfield, in the city's west, at about 8.55pm (AEDT) yesterday.

Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at
about
60km/h.

The car was later stopped on Shortland Esplanade at Nobbys, in the
city's east, where the 17-year-old driver, from The Junction, was
issued
with a traffic infringement notice.

AAP

So finally a driver does something nice for a cyclist and gets fined
for his effort.

Pat

--
vaudegiant

Old February 15th 07, 03:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman

Evan Wrote:
Friday wrote:

Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at

about
60km/h.

Only doing 60k. Obviously the report is wrong. The cyclist was actually
pushing the Car. The P-Plater had run outta fuel.

Obviously... and as they were both off to the the beach from across
town...why not co-operate.

Mayfield to Nobby's, not exactly a short tow...no wonder plod had time
to get a call, attend and apprehend at least one of them...

--
rooman

Old February 15th 07, 03:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
byron27

Friday Wrote:
Ok, whoever it was, put your hand up!

http://tinyurl.com/2fhequ

A teenage P-plate driver has been allegedly caught using his car to tow
a man on a bicycle near the NSW city of Newcastle.e

Police said they were called to an incident on Maitland Road at
Mayfield, in the city's west, at about 8.55pm (AEDT) yesterday.

Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at
about
60km/h.

The car was later stopped on Shortland Esplanade at Nobbys, in the
city's east, where the 17-year-old driver, from The Junction, was
issued
with a traffic infringement notice.

AAP

i cant believe that consistitutes "news".....

Next headline:

"P-Plater gets speeding fine"

--
byron27

6'5", curly hair, bit like krusty the clown i spose

Old February 15th 07, 03:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
SteveA

Friday Wrote:
Ok, whoever it was, put your hand up!

http://tinyurl.com/2fhequ

A teenage P-plate driver has been allegedly caught using his car to tow
a man on a bicycle near the NSW city of Newcastle.e

Police said they were called to an incident on Maitland Road at
Mayfield, in the city's west, at about 8.55pm (AEDT) yesterday.

Officers allegedly observed a man on a bicycle holding on to the
passenger side window of a car while the vehicle was travelling at
about
60km/h.

The car was later stopped on Shortland Esplanade at Nobbys, in the
city's east, where the 17-year-old driver, from The Junction, was
issued
with a traffic infringement notice.

AAP

Years ago, I worked on building the new international airport in
Brisbane. We did a lot of swamp reclamation work. Some of which
required temporary roads on the water's edge beside the mangrove
swamps.
Caught 2 P-platers in utes towing water skiers.

We put a lot of effort into preserving mangrove habitats - limited boat
traffic, vehicle traffic etc. Not impressed.

SteveA

--
SteveA

Old February 15th 07, 04:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman

SteveA Wrote:
Years ago, I worked on building the new international airport in
Brisbane. We did a lot of swamp reclamation work. Some of which
required temporary roads on the water's edge beside the mangrove
swamps.
Caught 2 P-platers in utes towing water skiers.

We put a lot of effort into preserving mangrove habitats - limited boat
traffic, vehicle traffic etc. Not impressed.

SteveA

Lived for a while (last century) just north of Newcastle in Port
Stephens up in New South on the North Shore inside the heads (Yacaaba)
there is a long sweeping crescent beach (Jimmy's) with shallow water,
and when the surf was down, the fishing off, no wind to Sail and no
beer in the esky, we would hook up a long rope to the pre-4wd era VW
Beetle "Beach Buggies", knick the kid's boogie boards and rope ski/surf
.... 'twas before things like Pub Liability and risk assessments got
heavy and it became a bit of a community past-time for the younger
locals...( both of which I was at the time)...if the bay was crowded,
we could head to the ocean beach and north of town was a 20+ klm beach
stretching up to the Myall Lakes National Park and it became the
"corso"... ahhh things we did and of course would never suggest be
repeated...someone might just have some fun and Nanny State would get
involved...

--
rooman

Towing a bicycle SMS General 8 July 7th 06 06:06 AM
BC Wheel Towing tomtrevor Unicycling 33 May 27th 06 09:30 AM
THL322 - Red P-Plater Stomper Australia 5 April 12th 06 11:10 AM
Another big US cyclist caught doping. crit pro Racing 36 December 6th 04 11:22 PM
Another big US cyclist caught doping. crit pro Racing 0 December 3rd 04 10:03 PM