logistics associated with starting a new riding group?

Old February 28th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,misc.legal,nyc.bicycles
Bill Baka

Default logistics associated with starting a new riding group?

Prisoner at War wrote:
On Feb 23, 10:04 pm, Bill Baka wrote:

SNIP

Yeah,
In debt to them up to our eyeballs and Bush either doesn't have a clue
or could care less as long as he gets what he wants. It will be
interesting to see what happens when the USA becomes a 'has been'.
Bill Baka

Not sure if being in debt with T-Bills is so bad...let's face it: when
it comes to the government, they have so much more leeway than any
individual private citizen, especially simple ordinary working class
ones...but if you must look at the situation in a personal way, then
think of the the government selling T-Bills to China like you writing
an IOU on a Post-It Note to the neighborhood Chinese restaurant guy,
promising to pay your check next week...if you don't pay up, ain't
nothing going to happen. You look bad, you might even feel bad, and
you can't go eat there anymore, but no big deal. Likewise the US
government...it wants its good name and credit, to be sure, but
there's always another generation of taxpayers -- and that's the
triple truth.

Sad, but true. I hate passing a huge debt to my kids and grandkids since
it wasn't their fault.

So it's one of them wink-wink situations; you can't be casual about it
publicly, but of course actions speak louder than words, and it's
clear no one's worried because who's really harmed? Some amorphous
next generation...heck, if worse comes to worst, they'll just do "an
Africa" and decide unilaterally not to pay. So what?

Umm, not paying China would be a pretty big problem since we allowed all
our manufacturing jobs to go there while the CEOs who did it continued
to make money for their shareholders and get millions to do it.

I'm simplifying things, of course -- economic sanctions, freezing of
assets, etc. -- but you get the drift...no one wants to be the tax
collector -- there's no policeman here, so what's to worry? You can
always renegotiate terms, blah blah blah...it's how business gets
done. They play by a whole different set of rules than we do as
individuals of limited means.

At my level of influence all I can do is vote. I lean Democrat but not
hard line like some. I would love to see Arnold in the white house but
he is not eligible since he wasn't born here, so it will be interesting
to see how president Hillary handles things.

Kinda like how cars take to the road versus bicycles, if you think
about it. The different scales involved make for very different
options.

Something I know all too well. It would be nice to get an actual bicycle
friendly president in the white house to get some legal teeth into some
bicycle promotion. Tax credits for commuting to work under 10 miles or
so, or something to that effect.
Bill Baka

Old February 28th 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,misc.legal,nyc.bicycles
Bill Baka

Prisoner at War wrote:
On Feb 23, 9:58 pm, Bill Baka wrote:

Could be either or both. My grandfather was listed as Russian and my
grandmother as Polish. I think they lived on the border where it changed
from Russia to Poland war by war. They both came to the states around
1905--1911, so I think they saw the communist revolution coming, or
maybe just living conditions were that bad.

Conditions were that bad.

I figured that out. It must have been really nasty living there at the
turn of the century.

I'm reminded of that film "Europa Europa," when, in September 1939,
Poland was invaded from both sides, and the voiceover said, "the Jews
scrambled for the Russians and the Poles scrambled for the Germans."

Talk about your half-pence place, as the Irish say.

It's kind of hard to imagine anyone running TO the Germans.

I admit that the only time I wear a helmet is in the winter when I wear
a Giro ski helmet to keep my ears warm. It is about 3 times the weight
and coverage of a simple bike helmet.

I have that very nice Outdoor Research Gorilla Wind Stopper
Bavaclava. Unfortunately, my situational awareness is greatly
diminished. I didn't realize how much input I had from my hearing and
peripheral vision! But donning that whole head, full-face bavaclava,
great as it is against the elements, really makes me feel like a horse
with blinders on.

I get sort of the same effect with the ski helmet so sometimes I will
ride the sidewalk in heavy traffic areas. Of course that means riding
slow and sometimes getting off the bike to walk at the light, but
swallowing my bicycle pride I do get there eventually. The sidewalk
routine works as long as I don't go over about 8 MPH so people on foot
are generally pretty nice to me.

No ****???

No, really, the co-leader had a fit about my not having my helmet on,
though I was off my bike with both feet on the ground serving as a
drop (which I'd even volunteered to do! I wasn't even appointed as
one that particular time; I'd volunteered! 'Cause I'm always ahead of
the pack anyway, it's not like I'd get stuck behind, etc.). But he
went after me for not having a water bottle!

Were you able to lodge an "Asshole" complaint?

Of course, as well as you know me by now through usenet, I got the
last laugh: I says okay, I'm off the ride, I can ride without a
helmet, then -- and I just tagged along: right back at my spot behind
the ride leader! Who was a very cool dude, BTW. Was the complete
opposite of his high-strung water bottle Nazi co-leader. And that was
interesting, how you might have two ride leaders paired who are such
opposites. I've seen it on other occasions, where some ride leaders
are a bit more casual about where they drop someone, and others drop
at every single turn, even when it's obvious traffic could have only
gone one way (for example, at a fork where one of the roads has a big
"Dead End" sign).

I hear you there, since he can't ban you from use of a public road, you
can just tell him to (insert four letter words here).

Ten miles for our local ride and they have plenty of free Gatoraide,
juices, fresh fruits, etc. I feel totally spoiled on those rides.

Well, you pay dues, I imagine. That particular ride is hosted by teh
5BBC and they're otherwise cool about folks just joining for a ride,
sans membership or any fees. But there's a few helmet and water
bottle Nazis among the ride leaders there.

It costs from $20 to $25 dollars and we get a printed tee-shirt for the
money. Being a charity ride it is well worth the money and I think some
of the local businesses put up matching funds. Over the last few years
it has turned into about a thousand person social event. The only catch
is that we have to have helmets to get the shirts. Sort of a weird way
to enforce helmets, but it works.

He does qualify as an asshole.

So let's you and I fight that mentality!

I always do, sort of perpetually swimming upstream.

Chin up.

Always!

Bill Baka

Still going strong.
Bill Baka

Old February 28th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,misc.legal,nyc.bicycles
Bill Baka

Prisoner at War wrote:
On Feb 23, 9:49 pm, Bill Baka wrote:

I have to agree that city riding should be safer since there are
witnesses, stop lights, and all kinds of things to slow motor vehicle
traffic.
Out in the boondocks where I ride there are sometimes some 3 or 4 mile
stretches with not even a driveway, house, bike lane, shoulder, or
police enforcement. In a few hundred trips into the mountains over the
last 5 years I have seen one, exactly 1, highway patrol car.
Is that non-city enough?
Bill Baka

Wow...just watch out for them mountain lions.

Heh. Last year I disturbed something BIG and I heard large branches
breaking as it ran away. That was on the carry the bike part going up to
my almost personal waterfall. I'm sure glad it went the other way
because deer do not break big branches like that.

I really salute those hardy souls who post on crazyguyonabike.com.
Absolute ballz!

I've watched some of those videos and some of them might not have the
ballZ anymore after the crashes.
I may be a bit crazy but not totally insane like them.
Bill Baka

Old February 28th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,misc.legal,nyc.bicycles
Don Wiss

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 03:30:08 GMT, Bill Baka wrote:

It would be nice to get an actual bicycle
friendly president in the white house to get some legal teeth into some
bicycle promotion. Tax credits for commuting to work under 10 miles or
so, or something to that effect.

Bush loves his mountain bike. But unfortunately, like most Americans, he
considers bicycling as something that is strictly recreational. Never
utilitarian.

Don www.donwiss.com/joyrides (e-mail link at page bottom).
Old February 28th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,misc.legal,nyc.bicycles
Bill Baka

Don Wiss wrote:
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 03:30:08 GMT, Bill Baka wrote:

It would be nice to get an actual bicycle
friendly president in the white house to get some legal teeth into some
bicycle promotion. Tax credits for commuting to work under 10 miles or
so, or something to that effect.

Bush loves his mountain bike. But unfortunately, like most Americans, he
considers bicycling as something that is strictly recreational. Never
utilitarian.

Don www.donwiss.com/joyrides (e-mail link at page bottom).

And yet people wonder why I don't like him as president.
All show and no go.
I have to wish him health though, since Cheney is next in line.
That is enough to give someone nightmares.
Bill Baka
Old February 28th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,misc.legal,nyc.bicycles
Prisoner at War

On Feb 27, 10:47 pm, Bill Baka wrote:

Heh. Last year I disturbed something BIG and I heard large branches
breaking as it ran away. That was on the carry the bike part going up to
my almost personal waterfall. I'm sure glad it went the other way
because deer do not break big branches like that.

Another reason why I support the NRA's version of the Second
Amendment.

I've watched some of those videos and some of them might not have the
ballZ anymore after the crashes.
I may be a bit crazy but not totally insane like them.
Bill Baka

Oh, well, I wasn't referring to stunts so much as treks through third-
world wildernesses and such.

Not even sure if I'd do it with all expenses paid. Amazing stuff.

Old February 28th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,misc.legal,nyc.bicycles
Bill Baka

Prisoner at War wrote:
On Feb 27, 10:47 pm, Bill Baka wrote:
Heh. Last year I disturbed something BIG and I heard large branches
breaking as it ran away. That was on the carry the bike part going up to
my almost personal waterfall. I'm sure glad it went the other way
because deer do not break big branches like that.

Another reason why I support the NRA's version of the Second
Amendment.

I do support the NRA, but not hunting. If Bush had his way (I'm taking a
long shot here) he might ban any and all people outside of government
having guns. That would signal the beginning of an Orwellian government.

I've watched some of those videos and some of them might not have the
ballZ anymore after the crashes.
I may be a bit crazy but not totally insane like them.
Bill Baka

Oh, well, I wasn't referring to stunts so much as treks through third-
world wildernesses and such.

Not even sure if I'd do it with all expenses paid. Amazing stuff.

I hear you there. I mean who would want to trek through Turkey,
Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia, etc.......?
Those people are the nut jobs to me.
I would much rather prefer falling off a bike doing a stunt than get
shot or beheaded just for being an American.
Bill Baka

Old February 28th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,misc.legal,nyc.bicycles
Prisoner at War

On Feb 27, 10:43 pm, Bill Baka wrote:

I figured that out. It must have been really nasty living there at the
turn of the century.

Yep -- when you've got both the intelligensia *and* the poor trying to
get out of a place, you know it's the pits.

It's kind of hard to imagine anyone running TO the Germans.

Except we're talking about Poles and Russians here. At least Hitler
was Catholic!

I get sort of the same effect with the ski helmet so sometimes I will
ride the sidewalk in heavy traffic areas.

How odd. Heavy traffic is usually very predictable and slow. It's
ironic but I tend to ride on sidewalks less with heavy traffic (unless
it's the kind that prevents me from actually riding, like when a
tractor trailer wants to make a turn, or taxi cabs loading and
unloading, etc.).

Of course that means riding
slow and sometimes getting off the bike to walk at the light, but
swallowing my bicycle pride I do get there eventually. The sidewalk
routine works as long as I don't go over about 8 MPH so people on foot
are generally pretty nice to me.

And then there are the Nazis who think nothing of lecturing even a
5mph sidewalk bicyclist while conveniently silent on the unleashed pit
bulls.

Were you able to lodge an "Asshole" complaint?

Speaking of complaints and assholes, you know the ol' customer service
department motto: everyone's got one.

No, I have no personal animosities towards the guy -- the lead the
rides on their own time, after all -- and from an official POV, I'm
sure the Board would have had to play the lawyer about things and
concur that, yes, one should have a water bottle, just in case.

I hear you there, since he can't ban you from use of a public road, you
can just tell him to (insert four letter words here).

Though I must say I was surprised that he didn't try to one-up me by
arguing against my being right behind the leader. It's still a public
road, yes, but to have been second in line the whole day could have
arguably been interfering with their right to the road as a coherent
unit -- namely, a club doing a club ride.

Anyway, I'm glad the silliness didn't escalate too much further,
though there are hard feelings against me now from some of the club
leadership (hehe). One fat but tall dude even bumped me twice on
purpose on another occasion. Since I'm such a friendly guy, I took no
notice of it myself until he mentioned something about helmets. Then
I realized the guy was trying to grind an axe for his pal from some
other ride.

****ing bike club politics, eh! Speaking of which...I wonder how the
two Montauk Rides are coming along this year for the 5BBC? Surprised
the New York Times hasn't covered the little spat. There's supposed
to be two competing 145-milers on the same day this year!

It costs from $20 to $25 dollars and we get a printed tee-shirt for the
money. Being a charity ride it is well worth the money and I think some
of the local businesses put up matching funds. Over the last few years
it has turned into about a thousand person social event. The only catch
is that we have to have helmets to get the shirts. Sort of a weird way
to enforce helmets, but it works.

What people don't do for free tee shirts!

I always do, sort of perpetually swimming upstream.

Just headwinds, no problem.

Still going strong.

Good to hear. If you are well, I am well!

Bill Baka

Old February 28th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,misc.legal,nyc.bicycles
di

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
.. .
Don Wiss wrote:
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 03:30:08 GMT, Bill Baka wrote:

And yet people wonder why I don't like him as president.
All show and no go.

What about all blow and no go?

Old February 28th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,misc.legal,nyc.bicycles
Prisoner at War

On Feb 27, 10:30 pm, Bill Baka wrote:

Sad, but true. I hate passing a huge debt to my kids and grandkids since
it wasn't their fault.

Well, it's like a perpetual Ponzi Scheme...if there's an endless
supply of "bag-holders" down the line (the endless generations of
great-great-grand-kids), no one's really holding any debt, are they?

Not to mention the fact that, if things turn out as bad as you fear,
those great-grand-kids will probably be Chinese anyway! Haw haw
haw.... ;-

Umm, not paying China would be a pretty big problem since we allowed all
our manufacturing jobs to go there while the CEOs who did it continued
to make money for their shareholders and get millions to do it.

So what?

Seriously...it's like what Africa does every few years...somebody
there just decides to "renegotiate" their terms...because otherwise
the government just won't pay, that's all.

I'm telling you...when it comes to money, never put it past the
lawyers to come up with new twists on old rules....

At my level of influence all I can do is vote. I lean Democrat but not
hard line like some. I would love to see Arnold in the white house but
he is not eligible since he wasn't born here, so it will be interesting
to see how president Hillary handles things.

Arnold, eh? Hmmm...I'd love to see him only because it would be so
entertaining, but I'm not expecting much from the guy. I suppose
he'll be good for business (his own, for sure) and since he's
Hollywood maybe gays will finally get their military service on their
terms, but that's about it....

And if you're expecting him to deal with China -- heh, good luck. If
even Nixon and Kissinger believes in China so bad, there's really no
hope. Just look at G.W. I don't think China's the kind of thing you
can just control. I mean, the Mongols barely lasted one generation
before they all went native.

Something I know all too well. It would be nice to get an actual bicycle
friendly president in the white house to get some legal teeth into some
bicycle promotion. Tax credits for commuting to work under 10 miles or
so, or something to that effect.
Bill Baka

Yeah, isn't it ironic that G.W. is supposed to be such an avid
bicyclist. I'm still wondering what the guy really believes in
besides tax cuts for the rich.

Well, at least some of those richie riches are financing his
opponents.

Help needed!!! What kind of group is this? ~20yr Bianchi bike, Campa group. [email protected] Techniques 16 July 27th 06 07:48 PM
RR: Just like starting over... Carla A-G Mountain Biking 7 April 5th 05 03:51 PM
Starting up. HELP AL Unicycling 5 December 12th 04 11:58 PM
FS: complete retro-group, Shimano 600 SIS group John M Marketplace 0 April 2nd 04 06:04 PM
Group Riding Dynamics Roy Zipris General 7 September 25th 03 02:39 AM