Fun races

Old August 22nd 03, 04:52 PM
MattB

Default Fun races

I did another CB community race last night and I have to say, I'm really
having fun with these. I've only been able to get a couple of rides per week
in since we had the baby, so I'm slower this year compared to past summers.
That being said, I have been getting a little faster each race throughout
the summer and it's fun to leave guys behind who were beating me earlier in
the season.
These races have a nice community feel to them. Nobody's taking it all
that seriously, but there are some REALLY good riders present. Joking and
trash-talking is common mid-race, but all in fun. There's also little kid's
races, so it's neat to see the little racers getting all excited about
cycling. They are so cute on their tiny bikes, I can't wait to get my boy
out there. There's always beer and pizza afterwards, so I'm sure to get my
$12 worth one way or another. Last night I got to leave with about 15
power/cliff bars, so that made the return on investment right there.
Last week I was 10th out of 25 (in sport - expert is filled with our
local pros and I'd probably be dead last). I think this week I moved up a
spot or two but didn't wait for the results. There's now only one more left
for the season. I'm already looking forward to next year. These are way more
fun then I ever had in NORBA races when I was doing those.
I'm also noticing how much faster my Epic goes on downhills than my old
HT. If there's a "top end" kind of DH on a road I can usually pass at least
three other riders on a .5 Mile descent. That's fun!
So I just thought I'd share my good feelings with you folks. I bag on
racers who get all too serious and it's refreshing to see and be a part of
something that I think is a lot more like when mountain biking was a new
sport and people just did it for fun. If any of you ever have the
inclination to do one of these, c'mon out! It's a good time.

--

Matt

"Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

Old August 22nd 03, 10:02 PM
Paladin

"MattB" wrote in message ...
I did another CB community race last night and I have to say, I'm really
having fun with these. I've only been able to get a couple of rides per week
in since we had the baby, so I'm slower this year compared to past summers.
That being said, I have been getting a little faster each race throughout
the summer and it's fun to leave guys behind who were beating me earlier in
the season.

Glad you're having fun and the races are relatively laid back. Our
local series used to be more fun. Wildrockies.com Then I decided a
few years back that if I was gonna spend all day wrapped around a
ride, it would be a fun group ride at some scenic spot (without number
plates, you know what I mean?) like some of those I've written up, not
the impersonal intensity of racing. But your fun races sound great.

The SS'ers are a pretty friendly group, though. Next year, I might
enter sport/exp SS just to get the inevitable butt-kickin I need to
keep my ego in check. You see Hawaiian shirts, cut-offs (over
spandex), etc., on the SS'ers. But this summer was waaay too busy
with all these out of town trips.

Paladin
Old August 23rd 03, 04:00 PM
Mark B

Our local series is real fun also.

We have races every Wednesday night after work during the summer and we even
have a winter series when we race on Saturday mornings. We race for points
every week for a championship. Medals go to top 3 every week and the
championship prizes and trophies are really cool.

We have 4 trails to race on and alternate between them every week. We get
about 100 people show up to race in beginner, sport, and expert classes.

It's a lot of fun. A 12-18 mile race against some pretty fast racers for 10
bucks and no Norba involvement...it's pretty cool.

Like you, a few of us stay afterwards and swap race war stories over a few
beers.

Good fun without all the seriousness of big races.

Mark

Old August 27th 03, 01:48 PM
Westie

"MattB" wrote in message
I did another CB community race last night and I have to say, I'm

really
having fun with these. I've only been able to get a couple of rides per

week
in since we had the baby, so I'm slower this year compared to past

summers.
That being said, I have been getting a little faster each race throughout
the summer and it's fun to leave guys behind who were beating me earlier

in
the season.

snip

Sounds like you're _really_ having fun and just enjoying the biking for the
bikings sake. Good to hear about it.
--
Westie
Racing? What's 'racing'?