Hybrid Bike comments/suggestions!

Old March 24th 05, 08:40 PM
Mee Too

Default Hybrid Bike comments/suggestions!

I am looking at buying a Hybrid Bike for riding around town, and commuting
to work. One thing I am really looking at is a light weight bike that is
durable enough for some trail riding, and the ability to ride up steep paved
roads fairly easily. I live in a mountainous area, and have a 2 mile ride up
hill, that can be difficult for many people to even walk up, yet alone ride
a bike up.

I have found two bike that could fit these requirements without breaking the
bank.

1) Kona Dew Deluxe, I kinda like the granny gear of the Shimano CS-HG40-8
cluster, and the Sun MZ 14 Rims appear to be better quality than the WTB's
on the Gary Fisher.

2) Gary Fisher Utopia, this bike has alot of updated parts, but I am not
real familiar with the Bontrager Parts, are they better, or worse than whats
comes on the Kona? It is a real fun ride, and I am starting to lean towards
this bike more!

My question is, what do you experts think would be the best ride?

Thanks,,, SW

Old March 24th 05, 09:27 PM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:40:58 -0700,
1111696861.7ff47412947f6dfeea01bb50ce68b47b@teran ews, "Mee Too"
wrote:

My question is, what do you experts think would be the best ride?

Thanks,,, SW

The Dew Deluxe has a rigid fork, is ~$150 less, comes with toe clips
and straps and it's black. I'm sold.

How often do think you'll really need that heavier bouncy fork that
could complicate mounting fenders?
--
zk
Old March 24th 05, 10:08 PM
Bill H.

Bontrager is okay in my limited experience with them. I have some
Bontrager cranks, a seatpost, and a handlebar on my GF bike. They work
well so far.

You say "occasional trail riding" so I reply with "what kinds of
trails?" and "define occasional". If it's maybe once a month or so on
mild offroad trails that aren't very technical, go rigid. You'll give
up some comfort on bumpy trails without it, but you can probably get
by. And as the other poster pointed out, a suspension fork is usually
much heavier than a rigid fork.

-Bill H.

Old March 25th 05, 08:50 AM
Mee Too

Would not be much trail riding, since I have a Hard Tail mountain bike for
that. Just that some of the local paved access trail have portions that are
dirt/gravel, and I don't want to have to worry about damaging a wheel or
such.

....SW

oups.com...

Old March 25th 05, 03:24 PM
maxo

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:27:27 -0800, Zoot Katz wrote:

The Dew Deluxe has a rigid fork, is ~$150 less, comes with toe clips and
straps and it's black. I'm sold.

Agreed. If you're one to count "weight points" for the price of that
fork in weight points you can have fenders, a full lighting system and a
rack.

All of which you should have on a town bike anyway. That's what the
remaining $150's for. :P
Old March 25th 05, 03:33 PM
Colorado Bicycler

Don't sweat the gravel.

I do gravel on my road bike (700x25's) with no problem.

The hybrid will take it easily in stride.

Personally, I can't stand the feel of "suspension" on a hybrid (my wife
has one). To me it is like riding in an old Buick Roadmaster from the
50's.

Old March 25th 05, 04:13 PM

Bontrager select wheels are great on my Lemond. Not out of true in two
years.

Old March 25th 05, 06:53 PM
Pat Lamb

Colorado Bicycler wrote:
Don't sweat the gravel.

I do gravel on my road bike (700x25's) with no problem.

The hybrid will take it easily in stride.

It really depends on the size of the gravel. 1/4" gravel is no problem
on almost any tire. 2" gravel, well, I haven't ridden anything with
less than four large tires that feels safe, if not comfortable.

Pat
Old March 25th 05, 08:07 PM
maxo

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:53:22 -0600, Pat Lamb wrote:

1/4" gravel is no problem on
almost any tire. 2" gravel,

2" gravel!?

At what point do they just become "rocks"?

Btw, I find I can ride dirt roads just fine with a 28mm tire--but with
gravel, anything over pea sized--the more float the better.

Old March 25th 05, 11:11 PM
Colorado Bicycler

I did one inch gravel earlier this week, successfully, on 700x25's.

Just depends on your riding skill, I guess!

(I have never seen 2 inch "gravel?")