Pedal question

Old March 26th 05, 10:17 AM
Ray

"maxo" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:24:09 -0500, Ray wrote:

Is there a decent pedal that I could get that's both clipless and
platform
or should I just go for the clipless pedals and get used to them. I like
the idea of not having to change my shoes every single time I want to
jump on the bike but I'd like to have a quality pedal also for the long
rides. If having one of those combo pedals is going to make a lousy
clipless pedal than I have a decision to make. The bike is a cyclocross
(Bianchi Axis) that I'll be picking up soon. Appreciate any advice. Ray

I've used the dual sided shimanos as many others have mentioned, on a city
ride.

I used Lake cx shoes with them and like them a ton. Yeah, it's a bit
annoying to have to flip the pedal to clip it, but it's also nice to be
able to jump on the bike in sneakers.

Nashbar's got their Rodeo pedal on sale for $25, so you could give it a
try before you commit.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

There's also all kinds of sneaker adapters that will snap into a
"standard" spd pedal.

I wonder how those sneaker adapters work. Can't beat the price.
Ray

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

five bucks on sale.

Old March 26th 05, 10:53 AM
Ray

Excellent info. Thanks to everybody. I'm going to drive the lbs nuts trying
out these pedals.
Ray
"jj" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:24:09 -0500, "Ray" wrote:

Getting a combo pedal can make it difficult finding the right side to clip
in, especially if you've never ridden clipless before. I'd suggest just
getting a mid-value Shimano like the 520.

http://www.touringcyclist.com/gear/model_13041.html

Usually you can get the bike shop to make you a deal for half-price when
swap out the pedals the Axis comes with.

It took a short while to get used to the idea of putting on my cycling
shoes to ride but now I'm glad I went that route.

If you get shoes that use velcro straps, like the Diadora gekko they are
extremely easy to get on quickly. I have no trouble walking around in
them.

When you pick up the bike you might try a test ride on the dual-sided type
and see if it's difficult to use.

jj

Old March 26th 05, 03:24 PM
Jeff Starr

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 05:17:51 -0500, "Ray" wrote:

There's also all kinds of sneaker adapters that will snap into a
"standard" spd pedal.

I wonder how those sneaker adapters work. Can't beat the price.
Ray

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

five bucks on sale.

The adapters have a piece on the bottom side that is the shape of a
cleat. So the adapter just snaps into place. Think of the adapter as
subbing for a cleated riding shoe. You snap them in and twist to the
side to release.

Very simple and if you ask the LBS, they probably have some. I know my
buddies Giant OCR1 came with them.

You may want to consider getting used to the bike, before
experimenting with the pedals. That way, you will be able to focus on
the pedals, rather than be distracted by all various new features, on
the bike itself.

Everytime I have heard people talk of forgeting to release from the
pedals, it is because they were distracted or not focusing on the use
of the pedals. When I learned to ride with clipless, I knew the bike,
so shifting, braking, etc were all pretty much automatic.
Old March 26th 05, 04:01 PM
Arthur Harris

"Jeff Starr" wrote:
I wonder how those sneaker adapters work. Can't beat the price.
Ray

The adapters have a piece on the bottom side that is the shape of a
cleat. So the adapter just snaps into place. Think of the adapter as
subbing for a cleated riding shoe. You snap them in and twist to the
side to release.

I'm pretty sure those come with most Shimano SPD pedals. Sounds like the OP
wants to sometimes be able to hop on the bike with regular sneakers/shoes
for a short errand. It's easy enough to click the sneaker adapter on for
that purpose. Then, for _real_ rides he'd have the advantage of dual sided
SPDs.

http://i15.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/39/39/b3_1_b.JPG

Art Harris

Old March 26th 05, 05:56 PM
mark

"Ray" wrote ...
Is there a decent pedal that I could get that's both clipless and platform
or should I just go for the clipless pedals and get used to them. I like

the
idea of not having to change my shoes every single time I want to jump on
the bike but I'd like to have a quality pedal also for the long rides. If
having one of those combo pedals is going to make a lousy clipless pedal
than I have a decision to make. The bike is a cyclocross (Bianchi Axis)

that
I'll be picking up soon. Appreciate any advice.
Ray

I've got the dual sided Shimano pedals (323?) on my touring/summer commuting
bike. I like being able to run to the store in sneakers, sandals, etc., and
I like being able to put reflectors on them since my commute home is usually
in the dark. They are heavy though, and cornering clearance is limited, so
for long rides or tours I generally switch them for a pair of SPD pedals.
--
mark

Old March 26th 05, 07:37 PM
Jeff Starr

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 11:01:07 -0500, "Arthur Harris"
wrote:

"Jeff Starr" wrote:
I wonder how those sneaker adapters work. Can't beat the price.
Ray

The adapters have a piece on the bottom side that is the shape of a
cleat. So the adapter just snaps into place. Think of the adapter as
subbing for a cleated riding shoe. You snap them in and twist to the
side to release.

I'm pretty sure those come with most Shimano SPD pedals. Sounds like the OP
wants to sometimes be able to hop on the bike with regular sneakers/shoes
for a short errand. It's easy enough to click the sneaker adapter on for
that purpose. Then, for _real_ rides he'd have the advantage of dual sided
SPDs.

http://i15.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/39/39/b3_1_b.JPG

Art Harris

You are saying that Shimano includes the adapters with most of their
SPD pedals? I did not know that. I've never seen it mentioned in any
ad for SPD pedals.

Well, that would simplify things for the OP.

Life is Good!
Jeff

BB and pedal thread direction - WHY? Mike Beauchamp Techniques 49 May 13th 04 09:14 AM
MTB pedals on a road bike? rickn Techniques 23 April 15th 04 06:11 PM
Newbie question on pedal s & Shoes Coach General 4 April 12th 04 01:01 PM
Pedal and Shoe Question Ken Jude UK 6 September 6th 03 11:23 AM
Eggbeater pedal clicing question... Me Techniques 1 July 12th 03 06:21 PM