Not able to ride ahead of the storm

Old April 2nd 05, 07:57 PM
Neil Cherry

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 10:42:10 -0500, The Wogster wrote:
catzz66 wrote:
The coldest daily type ride I have done was windy and in the 20s and
that was darn cold. I tried to ride some most every day this winter and
I got accustomed to the cold from the 30s to the 40s. We rarely have
precip during the winter. Rain doesn't seem to bother me other than it
is a pain to get completely soaked (takes time to dry off the bike and
deal with wet clothes) and it is harder for me to see during the ride.
I'm thankful to live where the weather is fairly moderate in the winter
months. We make up for it with the blazing heat in the summer.

Sometime it might be interesting to know what range of temps the rest of
you would consider normal and fair game for a daily ride.

Wogster, how low can you go?

Cold isn't really an issue, you can always dress for it, I have gone
walking for over 3 hours at 1F/-17C when properly dressed, and been nice
and warm..... On a bike, that might be a bigger issue, as wind chill
factors come into play, and you need a helmet that allows you to wear a
face covering of some kind.... I would find excessive heat a bigger
problem, you can always add more cloths when it's cold, once your down
to cycling shorts, well.....

Wind chill is a factor, it takes some real effort to move our routes
out of the farm fields and into a more wooded section of road. But the
problem I experience the worst has to do with breathing the cold
air. After a cold winter my chest will stay cold for hours
afterward. I'm a wreck for the rest of the day. No amount of extra
clothing fixes that problem.

For cold, snow and freezing rain are the biggest problems.....

Take an open field on a windy, sunny 20F day and it's cold. Now make it
cloudy and it's just gotten colder even though it still 20F. Add snow
covered fields and it's miserable. Replace snow with rain and I won't
ride. :-) I hate cold and wet. So Seattle, Ireland and England are off
my place I'll be riding to in the future. ;-)

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
Old April 2nd 05, 08:06 PM
Roger Zoul

Maggie wrote:
Roger Zoul wrote:

Hey, my comment had nothing to do with your riding style. It was

your
harping on being old that drew my fire. Age is just a number, you

know.
You seem too controlled by it. You place too many limitations on

yourself,

I love people who say "age is just a number". Maybe I am living on
another planet or something. My kids are in their 20's......all three
of them. And two still live with me. I hate to say it, but I cannot
keep the schedules they do, I need more sleep than they do.

So? What does this have to do with harping about your age?

I don't feel old in my mind.

Then why do you harp on it at every chance?

I think like a teenager most of the time.
But my body doesn't agree. Healing time is longer, recovery is longer
from an injury.

So. Not all 20 year olds heal and recover at the same rate. What is, is.

I want to embrace my age and not fight growing older.

It's not about fighting, it's about not harping on it.

No one wins that
fight. If people after 40 want to think they are still as strong as
they were when they were 20, thats fine. I'm not

Who said you're still as strong as when you were 20? Who says you can't be
stronger than you were at 20 (not everyone was particularly strong at 20)?
Why do you compare yourself to someone who is 20? Why not just focus on
being the best you can be, while working to improve. If you think that
being older means you can't improve, then you've accepted defeat that will
hasten you to the grave.

..

The other day I spent half an hour hunting for my favorite Ferragamo
sunglasses, before I realized they were on top of my head the whole
time.

ARe you saying that there are no absent-minded 20 year-olds?

That pretty much tests positive for AARP membership, but maybe
it's simply a case of absent-mindedness. Who knows.

I just want to embrace each age for what it brings. I was taught to
choose my battles wisely. The battle against getting older is one we
shall not win, unless we die.

Putting limitations on yourself just because of age is the wrong way to
think. Train your body, test your limits, and let your body tell you its
limits.

Let me grow older and savor each new event. The saddest thing I see,
are people who are 40 acting like they are 15. Michael Jackson for
example. But lets not go there.

Who can decide how another person should act? It sounds as if you're saying
that because I'm about to be 47 that I can't ride a bike, because taht is an
activity for a kid.

Limitations start in the mind.

Old April 2nd 05, 08:31 PM
Joseph Santaniello

catzz66 wrote:
[...]

I can comfortably XC-ski all the way down to -15C (5F) but I find that
on a bike with the same clothes I can't really go lower than -10C (14F).
My feet and hands cause problems. Wind-chill doesn't seem to matter that
much. Must be something about the way ones arms are just sitting there
doing nothing on a bike vs being in on the action on XC-skis.

Joseph

Old April 3rd 05, 01:32 AM
The Wogster

catzz66 wrote:

The coldest daily type ride I have done was windy and in the 20s and
that was darn cold. I tried to ride some most every day this winter and
I got accustomed to the cold from the 30s to the 40s. We rarely have
precip during the winter. Rain doesn't seem to bother me other than it
is a pain to get completely soaked (takes time to dry off the bike and
deal with wet clothes) and it is harder for me to see during the ride.
I'm thankful to live where the weather is fairly moderate in the winter
months. We make up for it with the blazing heat in the summer.

Sometime it might be interesting to know what range of temps the rest of
you would consider normal and fair game for a daily ride.

Wogster, how low can you go?

Let's see Polartec thermal underwear, check, polyester fleece middle
layer, check, goretex shell, check.... Balaclava and scarf, felt lined
boots, mitts (not gloves) should be good to 0F/-18C..... Done it
hiking, never biking......

Cold isn't really an issue, you can always dress for it, I have gone
walking for over 3 hours at 1F/-17C when properly dressed, and been nice
and warm..... On a bike, that might be a bigger issue, as wind chill
factors come into play, and you need a helmet that allows you to wear a
face covering of some kind.... I would find excessive heat a bigger
problem, you can always add more cloths when it's cold, once your down
to cycling shorts, well.....

Wind chill is a factor, it takes some real effort to move our routes
out of the farm fields and into a more wooded section of road. But the
problem I experience the worst has to do with breathing the cold
air. After a cold winter my chest will stay cold for hours
afterward. I'm a wreck for the rest of the day. No amount of extra
clothing fixes that problem.

You need to cover your face, I wear a hunting balaclava and breath in
through my covered nose, and out through my exposed mouth, which isn't
that exposed..... Make sure it's washable, so you can toss it in the
washer with the rest of your gear. Breathing through a balaclava that
smells like it sat in the bottom of a hockey bag for a couple of
generations, is no fun.

If there is open snow, wear UV filtering sunglasses or ski goggles as
well, sunlight reflecting off the snow, can give your retinas a sunburn,
this is often called "snow blindness", I have never had it, but I hear
it is very painful....

For cold, snow and freezing rain are the biggest problems.....

Take an open field on a windy, sunny 20F day and it's cold. Now make it
cloudy and it's just gotten colder even though it still 20F. Add snow
covered fields and it's miserable. Replace snow with rain and I won't
ride. :-) I hate cold and wet. So Seattle, Ireland and England are off
my place I'll be riding to in the future. ;-)

We had the worst goop today, it was 2C/3F so it was a mix of snow and
rain, giving the worst of both, with a good dose of wind.... Yeach.....

Best activity today, staying inside by the fireplace with some nice easy
jazz on, next to your significant other (and I don't mean the cat).

Old April 3rd 05, 02:06 AM
Patrick Lamb

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 06:20:44 -0600, catzz66
wrote:

Below 50 I wear wind pants (two layers), above that - shorts. Upper,
probably one more layer than running. Best investment in clothing, a
day-glo windbreaker (Canari). If I can keep the cold air off of my
skin, I am okay down to the 20s. Have not ridden in the 100s yet, but I
ride mostly in the early a.m. when it is a little bit cooler. Used to
run in the dead of summer, so biking couldn't be any worse than that.
Rain might feel pretty good in the summer.

Rain above 80 is called "Free Sweat."

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old April 3rd 05, 04:01 PM
Mark Hickey

Neil Cherry wrote:

Take an open field on a windy, sunny 20F day and it's cold. Now make it
cloudy and it's just gotten colder even though it still 20F. Add snow
covered fields and it's miserable. Replace snow with rain and I won't
ride. :-)

Don't worry - you won't ever have to make that choice... if it's 20
degrees, it won't be raining (it'll be snowing). ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old April 3rd 05, 04:51 PM
Neil Cherry

catzz66 wrote:

Sometime it might be interesting to know what range of temps the rest of
you would consider normal and fair game for a daily ride.

Wogster, how low can you go?

Let's see Polartec thermal underwear, check, polyester fleece middle
layer, check, goretex shell, check.... Balaclava and scarf, felt lined
boots, mitts (not gloves) should be good to 0F/-18C..... Done it

Wind chill is a factor, it takes some real effort to move our routes

You need to cover your face, I wear a hunting balaclava and breath in
through my covered nose, and out through my exposed mouth, which isn't
that exposed..... Make sure it's washable, so you can toss it in the
washer with the rest of your gear. Breathing through a balaclava that
smells like it sat in the bottom of a hockey bag for a couple of
generations, is no fun.

I tried the balacava but I can't have my face covered totally. I end
up over heating something vicious (remember I'm also not riding lower
than 20F/-5C). I tried wering one on a really nasty cold, windy, snow
covered day (usually February around here). It was soaked in sweat so
quickly that it became dangerous to use (covered in ice). I do were
them when I go out to walk the dogs but not on the bike. As I've said
my real problem comes from the fact that I'm beathing in cold air and
my chest becomes cold from the inside out. It takes me hours to get
warm again.

If there is open snow, wear UV filtering sunglasses or ski goggles as
well, sunlight reflecting off the snow, can give your retinas a sunburn,
this is often called "snow blindness", I have never had it, but I hear
it is very painful....

I always wear sun glasses. It started a long time ago because of the
snow. Now I wear them because I don't want to squint and because the
glasses protect my eyes. If I have to ride at night I have a pair of
safety glasses. Only fog causes trouble as the glasses hold the fog
and make them useless.

As for snow blindness, you can get it by simply poping out the front
door to pick up the mail on a sunny but snow covered day. Your fine
when your outside but when you get back indoors your eyes can't
adjust. It takes a few minutes for your eyes to recover. Nasty.

Old April 3rd 05, 06:07 PM
The Wogster

catzz66 wrote:

[...]

The key, is the way you breathe, inhale with your covered nose, exhale
with your mouth so your mouth stays uncovered, that does two things,
one is that your breathing slightly pre-warmed air in your nose, and
getting rid of excess moisture through your mouth. One thing people
forget in winter though, you need to keep drinking water....

If there is open snow, wear UV filtering sunglasses or ski goggles as
well, sunlight reflecting off the snow, can give your retinas a sunburn,
this is often called "snow blindness", I have never had it, but I hear
it is very painful....

I always wear sun glasses. It started a long time ago because of the
snow. Now I wear them because I don't want to squint and because the
glasses protect my eyes. If I have to ride at night I have a pair of
safety glasses. Only fog causes trouble as the glasses hold the fog
and make them useless.

As for snow blindness, you can get it by simply poping out the front
door to pick up the mail on a sunny but snow covered day. Your fine
when your outside but when you get back indoors your eyes can't
adjust. It takes a few minutes for your eyes to recover. Nasty.

Breath in your nose and out your mouth helps here to, you aim your
exhale down or to the side rather then towards your glasses.....

Old April 4th 05, 07:12 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
catzz66 writes in part:

Rain might feel pretty good in the summer.

It indeed can. So can riding through lawn sprinkler overspray.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Why not generator lights? davidd86 Techniques 419 January 7th 05 04:43 PM
54th Birthday Ride Olebiker Rides 22 November 17th 04 02:09 AM
54th Birthday Ride Olebiker Rides 0 November 15th 04 07:04 PM
TIMES UP BICYCLE RIDE (NYC) AND COMMUNITY GARDENING BASH!!! *Because **NYC** Could Be BETTER!! Recumbent Biking 0 July 7th 04 02:12 PM
Hollywood, Music, Record Holders Gun for Chicago Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway Recumbent Biking 0 January 26th 04 04:11 PM