Hammocks? Such as Hennesey? Opinion?

Old September 11th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Thomas, Spring Point Light

Default Hammocks? Such as Hennesey? Opinion?

"Paul O" wrote in message
Thomas, Spring Point Light wrote, On 9/11/2008 1:23 PM:
"PatTX" wrote in message

::
:: Gee Pat ,, I sure wish I lived in Texas, where all the "smart" folks
:: live. But noooo,, I live in New England, and attended Harvard, where
:: all the stupid folks live..
::
:: Dumb as a Texas turd, I guess.

I guess you are that dumb. After all, you're the one who posted a
camping item question on a bicycle newsgroup, not me. I know you like
living in the Harvard after-glow, but evidently you didn't learn
anything there....

Pat in TX

Pat, you stupid dope.. ::: I posted a "touring" question ..

When I tour, I camp.

I suppose I could post a camping question and someone will tell me the
coleman 20lb pole tent is perfect for the outdoors. But carry that on a
bicycle? Duh?

Let's see,, even a Texan can figure this one out.. maybe.

rec.. recreation
bicycle.. the thing we ride on
rides.. where we ride the bicycle when we ride.
tours.. when we ride the bicycle and plan on staying somewhere and
traveling.

Pat from Texas.. someone who is so stupid that he can't figure this all
out..

Hey Thomas, has anybody provided you with any useful information about
hammocks yet?

No? Well keep on trying. I'm sure that you will receive many useful
suggestions now that everyone on rec.bicycles.rides has gotten a chance to
know you.

I have a suggestion regarding where you can stick your hammock...

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

Pauly,, you can carry the big coleman tent,, because you have the
extra-cycle..

hahah.. I looked up some of your postings, here there and everywhere..

What a dick.

Old September 12th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Penny

"PatTX" writes:

::
:: Gee Pat ,, I sure wish I lived in Texas, where all the "smart" folks
:: live. But noooo,, I live in New England, and attended Harvard, where
:: all the stupid folks live..
::
:: Dumb as a Texas turd, I guess.

I guess you are that dumb. After all, you're the one who posted a camping
item question on a bicycle newsgroup, not me. I know you like living in the
Harvard after-glow, but evidently you didn't learn anything there....

Pat in TX

Since the item in question could well be popular with cyclists due to
light weight and low volume its hardly stupid to poll cyclists here.
Old September 12th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
PatTX

:::
::: I guess you are that dumb. After all, you're the one who posted a
::: camping item question on a bicycle newsgroup, not me. I know you
::: like living in the Harvard after-glow, but evidently you didn't
::: learn anything there....
:::
::: Pat in TX
::
:: Since the item in question could well be popular with cyclists due to
:: light weight and low volume its hardly stupid to poll cyclists here.

Please re-read the thread. I merely posted a suggestion that he re-post his
question to the hiking newsgroup. He is the one who responded by calling me
a curse word. I did not denigrate him; he attacked me. And, he hasn't
stopped. Did I deserve that for suggesting he post it to the hiking
newsgroup? I think not. Has he received any responses to his question on
this particular newsgroup that might help him select a hammock? Nope. Just
maybe he posted it to the wrong newsgroup. Instead, he continues to attack
me...Go figure.

Pat in TX

Old September 12th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Penny

"PatTX" writes:

:::
::: I guess you are that dumb. After all, you're the one who posted a
::: camping item question on a bicycle newsgroup, not me. I know you
::: like living in the Harvard after-glow, but evidently you didn't
::: learn anything there....
:::
::: Pat in TX
::
:: Since the item in question could well be popular with cyclists due to
:: light weight and low volume its hardly stupid to poll cyclists here.

Please re-read the thread. I merely posted a suggestion that he re-post his
question to the hiking newsgroup.

What you said was this (and I quote)

"I guess you are that dumb. After all, you're the one who posted a
camping item question on a bicycle newsgroup, not me"

It seems obvious enough what you meant.
Old September 12th 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Thomas, Spring Point Light

"PatTX" wrote in message
:::
[...]

============

Pat of TX .. there you go again.. you are covering your
patronizing, contempuous, distainful, haughty, supercilious
reply with a "suggestion".

What you really meant to post was "go away, we don't care about camping
touring".

And that would be fine. To each his own. But, you posted your reply under
the
guise of suggestion.

I suggest you not suggest .. in the future, tell the poster what you feel..
be a man

Old September 12th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

From the cheap seats it looks like you over-reacted to a less than
subservient suggestion. Pat's initial response, "Maybe you should
post this to alt.rec.hiking", is hardly basis for a fight.

Pat gave you good advice in a way that you didn't appreciate. It's
still good advice. You are being overly sensitive and argumentative.

You're asking about a hammock which is lightweight and compact, which
makes it suitable for bike touring or hiking. Once you are off of the
bike it no longer comes into play - you're asking about comfort and
such. There is plenty of information on their hammocks:
http://www.google.com/search?num=100...mmock+r eview

There are few things that are more personal than sleeping. Frankly I
don't see the benefit in asking random people how _you_ will sleep in
a hammock. Even if there is unanimous consensus, you might find the
thing to be a night time hell. REI has a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- try it, what have you got to lose?

Old September 12th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Thomas, Spring Point Light

"RicodJour" wrote in message
From the cheap seats it looks like you over-reacted to a less than
[...]

======

R,, here is what Pat put in a posting ..

"On the other hand, this guy is not too bright, as proven by his postings,
so he can
go whistle for all I care."

Duh? All I wanted was some anecdotal info.. such as
"I used the hammock, was great" .. or .. "I used the hammock, it stunk".

That's all.. no big deal.. figured someone who has toured maybe used the
hammock,
and would write that he/she liked it, didn't like it..

This is not rocket science.

Old September 12th 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Sep 12, 11:58*am, "Thomas, Spring Point Light"
wrote:

From the cheap seats it looks like you over-reacted to a less than

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...ennessy+hammoc...

There are few things that are more personal than sleeping. *Frankly I
don't see the benefit in asking random people how _you_ will sleep in
a hammock. *Even if there is unanimous consensus, you might find the
thing to be a night time hell. *REI has a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- try it, what have you got to lose?

======

R,, here is what Pat put in a posting ..

"On the other hand, this guy is not too bright, as proven by his postings,
so he can
go whistle for all I care."

Duh? *All I wanted was some anecdotal info.. such as
"I used the hammock, was great" .. or .. "I used the hammock, it stunk".

That's all.. no big deal.. figured someone who has toured maybe used the
hammock,
and would write that he/she liked it, didn't like it..

This is not rocket science.

Now, please post your initial response to Pat's initial response.
That's where the trouble started. Dude, you over-reacted to something
that wasn't meant in a nasty way. If you're looking to fight there
are better newsgroups than this one. If you're not, just shake hands
and move on.

Old September 12th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
PatTX

:::
::: Please re-read the thread. I merely posted a suggestion that he
::: re-post his question to the hiking newsgroup.
::
:: What you said was this (and I quote)
::
:: "I guess you are that dumb. After all, you're the one who posted a
:: camping item question on a bicycle newsgroup, not me"
::
:: It seems obvious enough what you meant.

Er, Penny, you took it out of context. How's about we put the entire context
back in:

Gee Pat ,, I sure wish I lived in Texas, where all the "smart" folks
:: live. But noooo,, I live in New England, and attended Harvard, where
:: all the stupid folks live..
::
:: Dumb as a Texas turd, I guess.

I guess you are that dumb. After all, you're the one who posted a camping
item question on a bicycle newsgroup, not me. I know you like living in the
Harvard after-glow, but evidently you didn't learn anything there....

Pat in TX

All I did was respond once again to his caustic criticism and snide remarks.
But, no more. Obviously, his macho has been hurt. He suggested that he was
dumb; I merely agreed.

Pat in TX

Old September 13th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Thomas, Spring Point Light wrote:
Was reading about the hammock as a camping tent. It looks good on the net,
but is it really as good in the "woods"?

I am planning on a cross trip next spring.. Start in NH, go to Wash and
maybe beyond.

In the past, I have tried the trailer ..:: did not like it, way too heavy.
I pulled the thing
up hills, it chased me down hills, the extra weight of the trailer drove me
nuts,
on the on ..

Most of my touring has been with pup, pad, bag, and a flashlight.

Lighter the better ..

Combining a hammock with a bicycle is a bad idea:
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/costin/Monky1.jpg.

Here are the builder's comments:
"Me on sling seat with huge chainring. Pro-life or not, this baby should
have been aborted. The enormous chainring given to me by my Russian -
now American friend Boris Zakoldaev was too cool to not try. It weighed
only 7 lbs and was machined in trade for a bottle of Vodka in a Russian
Military Helicopter factory during the Cold War. The reverse fork gave
poor handling and a seat suspended by ropes is next to impossible to
drive.[...]" [1]

[1] http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/costin/seancostin.htm.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”

compact lightweight travel hammocks from £25 (ideal for touring!) Galax-e Marketplace 0 March 9th 07 12:38 AM
Hennessy Hammocks (or ANY hammocks0 for touring.. Ken Pisichko General 2 January 24th 06 06:50 PM
Your opinion silverfridge Unicycling 7 January 21st 06 02:57 AM
Hennessy Hammocks during touring/rides... Ken Pisichko Rides 0 January 16th 06 12:49 AM
Opinion Chris Glidden Mountain Biking 14 June 15th 05 06:41 PM