frame fork headset

Old December 13th 14, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default frame fork headset

Trying to figure out whether a frame, fork, headset will work together. Frame is a regular 1 1/8" headtube. Takes the old normal headsets with the press in cups that sit above and below the tube. Sealed bearings drop into the cups pressed into either end of the headtube. The crown race bearing cone slides down the fork steerer tube to the bottom at the fork crown. A normal headset to fit a normal frame.

The fork I am looking at for this frame is the one below. Nashbar full carbon road fork. In the description it says "for integrated-style headsets". Anyone want to comment whether this fork will take a regular headset with the slide on crown race bearing cone. And whether it will work with a regular frame taking a regular headset with the press in cups.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...34_-1___204683

Have the frame but have not bought the fork or headset yet.
Old December 13th 14, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, December 12, 2014 9:51:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Knowing the make of your frame will help a lot. What make is it?

Cheers
Old December 13th 14, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, December 12, 2014 9:17:45 PM UTC-6, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, December 12, 2014 9:51:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Trying to figure out whether a frame, fork, headset will work together. Frame is a regular 1 1/8" headtube. Takes the old normal headsets with the press in cups that sit above and below the tube. Have the frame but have not bought the fork or headset yet.

Knowing the make of your frame will help a lot. What make is it?

I doubt knowing the exact frame will help any. But it is a Don Walker track frame with a 1 1/8" headtube that takes regular press in headset cups that stick above and below the headtube.
Old December 13th 14, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

wrote:
[...]

The make of the frame is irrelevant. The question is simply "will an
integrated headset fork work with a normal headset?" I'm pretty sure
the answer is going to be "no." I would expect there to be issues with
ride height- the IH fork is going to probably be taller at the shoulder
than a fork for a standard headset- which will affect steering geometry.
And the seat for the lower bearing may not accommodate a standard lower
bearing cone. But Andy Muzi will likely know for sure and I await his
answer on this.
Old December 13th 14, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

A BARGAIN ! are you a lucky Dude ! ?

here...get aquainted

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...p?category=502

is the frame geometry losing trail ? percentage lost ? small reduction would cause frame to steer more sharply, sensitive to road surface, racier.
Old December 13th 14, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/12/2014 8:51 PM, wrote:
[...]

Huh. When I click your link I see a regular 1-1/8" carbon
fork with enhanced marketing ('slice through the wind').
Copy says 'for integrated headsets' but the crown diameter
is not shown. Image doesn't look unusual.

Standard 1-1/8" threadless headset, not integrated,
internal, hidden, oversize crown or anything frenetically
outside of normal. Sealed cartridge units run $40 up here.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 13th 14, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

On 12/12/2014 8:51 PM, wrote:
[...]

What do you expect? Like Andrew said we see just a picture of a fork with a
1-1/8" steerer and like I said with that kind of fork you can use a
standard 1-1/8" threadless headset except that the diameter of the fork
crown will be on the large side to meet the bigger diameter headtube for an
integrated headset, which nowadays just mean that the bearing is pressed
directly into the headtube which is not that different from old school
headset. Modern frame sets come with dedicated forks.
--
Lou
Old December 14th 14, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

the producer made several thousand forks to retro fit frames, Nbar has an oversupply cheapo foR XMASS GIFTS.

Unless your approach is off the wall then fork will mount to frame with or without an ADAPTER.

Call Nbar and Universal Cycles with your problem. Or email. Both are very nice people.