Rider gradings

Old September 7th 03, 11:48 AM
Arpit

Default Rider gradings

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:23:27 GMT, "Suzy Jackson"
wrote:

"Andrew Lighten" wrote in message

I've seen mention of people being "D grade", "C grade", etc. What kind of
performance criteria are used to determine what grade someone is in, and

how
could I get a rough idea of what grade I might be in should I choose to

join
a club and start competing?

It's all voodoo. If an unknown shows up to a club race, the handicapper
looks them over, and assigns a grade. If you haven't raced before, you
generally get put into D grade, which is the second lowest. E Grade is
usually reserved for the really old guys.

So then when you blow D grade apart on your first race, and finish 400m
ahead of the pack, a bunch of people will complain that you're a burglar,
and you'll get stuck into C grade next week. Some people get a bit of a
reputation for sneaking around the different clubs trying to con the
handicapper into putting them into a lower grade than they really should.

If you're properly graded, and a regular, you'll find your performance will
generally improve with time, so after a while you'll stop getting dropped,
then you'll start to get involved in the sprint, and get noticed by the
handicapper. If you're on the podium too many times in a row, they'll
suggest that it would be good for you to race with the next grade.

Of course if you show up to your first race with enormous bulging shaved
thighs, and a well worn expensive bike, be prepared to race your first race
with the C or even B graders.

Regards,

Suzy

Hmm, I have always feared racing, since I only cycle occaisionally for
fun. I guess if there are grades its a different matter though.
Old September 7th 03, 12:16 PM
Andrew Morris

Andrew...

I was close!!! :-)

Give me six months, and I may be ready to join you ... although, given the
last 4, you'd best make that 12 months!!! :-)

I've seen mention of people being "D grade", "C grade", etc. What kind

of
performance criteria are used to determine what grade someone is in, and

how
could I get a rough idea of what grade I might be in should I choose to

join
a club and start competing?

If you've realistically not done any racing before, put yourself in
the lowest grade. Even being super fit doesn't mean you will
win, there's tactics and rules to be learnt.
If you wax the field then, sure, put yourself up a grade.

It's quite hard to tell and I had the same question when I started.
I worked my way up in D grade and in one race lapped the field.
Entered into C grade after that and got a place or two, then
crashed and my next C grade race (with many more riders)
I was left for dead - so, even getting the grade right doesn't
mean you will be near the front, or even be able to hang on!

It's nice to win, but it's better to fight for the win!

hippy

Old September 7th 03, 12:58 PM
Trevor S

"Suzy Jackson" wrote in
:

snip

So then when you blow D grade apart on your first race, and finish
400m ahead of the pack, a bunch of people will complain that you're a
burglar, and you'll get stuck into C grade next week. Some people get
a bit of a reputation for sneaking around the different clubs trying
to con the handicapper into putting them into a lower grade than they
really should.

I will never understand the theory behind this ? As far as I am concerned,
the guy coming _last_ in C grade is _better_ then the guy coming first in D
Grade therefore you should be trying to progress THROUGH the grades as soon
as you can.

Maybe they should engrave the "trophy" that way ?

"First in D Grade but not as good as the last guy in C Grade"

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

Old September 7th 03, 01:20 PM
Suzy Jackson

"Trevor S" wrote in message
Some people get
a bit of a reputation for sneaking around the different clubs trying
to con the handicapper into putting them into a lower grade than they
really should.

I will never understand the theory behind this ? As far as I am concerned,
the guy coming _last_ in C grade is _better_ then the guy coming first in

Grade therefore you should be trying to progress THROUGH the grades as

soon
as you can.

There's usually money involved. I got $10 for finishing 2nd in my D grade
race on the weekend. Also, only the first three ever get a mention in the
results. Everyone else might as well not exist. Having said that though,
if it's not hard work, then it's not particularly enjoyable and you're not
extending yourself.

I have the most fun when I know I'm within striking distance of a placing,
when I know that if I'm having a good day, and if I ride the race using my
brains rather than my legs, and if I just get a little lucky at the end,
that I'll get a place. Last weekend was particularly sweet. One of my team
mates went up the road with a kilometre to go, and I reckoned that was the
winning move, so I sat up and didn't chase him, but instead sat on the
wheels of those who did. As it happened we passed him with 100m to go, and
I'd been sitting in for the start of the sprint, so went hard at (almost)
the right time. The first four placegetters were all within about 2 metres
of each other.

I went up to C grade a couple of months ago voluntarily, as I figured the
extra speed would do me some good, but after a few weeks of going off the
back half way through the race I dropped back to D grade, as it's not fun to
get your arse whipped every week.

However it looks like my stint in C grade has been good for me, as now I've
got a placing in D grade. With luck (and a hell of a lot of training) I
hope that I'll get a bunch more placings, and will then go to C grade
happily, knowing that I've got a good chance of hanging on for most of the
race.

Regards,

Suzy

Old September 7th 03, 01:55 PM
Arpit

How long are the races typically?

Old September 7th 03, 02:03 PM
hippy

"Trevor S" wrote in message
I will never understand the theory behind this ? As far as I am concerned,
the guy coming _last_ in C grade is _better_ then the guy coming first in

Grade therefore you should be trying to progress THROUGH the grades as

soon
as you can.

Tell that to the guy that came last in C grade. Look at the face of
the person that came first in D grade and that should explain why
some people want to stay in lower grades. Moving up should be
a goal but it can't be nice getting whipped week in week out.

As for moving through grades as fast as possible - I don't think
that it's such a good idea. I learn something every time I go out
and I'm still racing D after a brief stint in C grade and lots of
time not racing. There's lots to be learnt racing - speeding
through grades might mean you've got fitness but you'll get
to a point where it doesn't help because you need more than
fitness to win.
If you don't know how to hold a wheel, etc. when you get to
the higher grades you wont get far.

Also, it's better to make mistakes in the lower grades, I think,
rather than in the grades where people are taking it quite a
bit more seriously.

hippy