Average Speed: Hybrid vs. Road

Old September 1st 03, 12:41 AM
Undaunted1

Default Average Speed: Hybrid vs. Road

I became interested cycling a year ago and bought a Trek 7500 hybrid. Due
to other obligations and a very snowy winter, I've only put about 600 miles
on it.

Lately, I've been doing 20 to 35 mile rides on a moderately hilly paved
trail with an average speed of 15.5 to 16 mph. This is up from 13.5 to 14.5
mph when I started out last summer. I hope to get up to around 18 mph.

Although I love the Trek, my next bike -- hopefully in a year or two -- will
definitely be a road bike. I realize there are many variables, but how much
of a speed increase might I expect with a road bike as compared to what I
have now?

Old September 1st 03, 01:41 AM
Antti Salonen

Undaunted1 wrote:

Lately, I've been doing 20 to 35 mile rides on a moderately hilly paved
trail with an average speed of 15.5 to 16 mph. This is up from 13.5 to 14.5
mph when I started out last summer. I hope to get up to around 18 mph.

Although I love the Trek, my next bike -- hopefully in a year or two -- will
definitely be a road bike. I realize there are many variables, but how much
of a speed increase might I expect with a road bike as compared to what I
have now?

In my experience, the difference is probably less than you might expect.
But as you said, there are many variables. Road bikes almost always
have narrow slick tyres with very low rolling resistance, but depending
on your hybrid's tyres, the difference might not be important. In any
case, you can always put similar high-performance slicks on your hybrid.

Aerodynamics is what really can make a big difference. If the road bike
has a very aerodynamic (low) riding position and you are comfortable in
it, the difference in average speed can be significant. Easily 2 mph or
so. If the riding positions are not that different, you might only get a
1 mph gain.

The most important thing obviously is that a road bike is a Porsche
where a hybrid is more like a Toyota. For riding on good, paved roads,
it's the finest thing to have. For road riding, most cyclists also find
the drop bar more comfortable than a flat handlebar. This is especially
important if you ride longer distances.

-as

Old September 1st 03, 02:39 AM
B. Sanders

"Undaunted1" wrote in message
et...
I became interested cycling a year ago and bought a Trek 7500 hybrid. Due
to other obligations and a very snowy winter, I've only put about 600

miles
on it.

Lately, I've been doing 20 to 35 mile rides on a moderately hilly paved
trail with an average speed of 15.5 to 16 mph. This is up from 13.5 to

14.5
mph when I started out last summer. I hope to get up to around 18 mph.

The Trek 7500 is has a lower, faster riding position than some hybrids.

Although I love the Trek, my next bike -- hopefully in a year or two --

will
definitely be a road bike. I realize there are many variables, but how

much
of a speed increase might I expect with a road bike as compared to what I
have now?

Quite a lot. Above 18mph or so, wind drag becomes the biggest impediment to
increased speed. The faster you go, the more wind drag slows you down, and
the more energy is required to overcome it (drag increases as the cube of
velocity). So, to achieve higher speeds, you need more muscle power, and
less drag. The best way to reduce wind drag is by riding in an aerodynamic
position. Road bikes achieve this with drop bars. Recumbents achieve it
naturally, with the legs-out position (very aerodynamically efficient.)

There's another factor besides wind drag. The relatively "open" riding
position of hybrids is not ideal for power generation. The "closed" riding
position of a road bike allows you to make more power. Try it for yourself
and I think you'll agree. The trick is to be "tucked" enough to get down
low; but not so much that you restrict breathing. Better to sit taller and
breath well than to restrict breathing, since that is your power-making fuel
(well, the oxidant, anyway).

Your 7500 is low enough that you can "lean in" and get a semi-tucked riding
position; but it won't be very comfortable. You could get some bolt-on drop
bars for your hybrid. They do exist. They're like bar ends for mountain
bikes, only they curve down below the bars.

Several riders in my cycling club use aero bars on their Trek 7500's. One of
our riders rode her 7500FX on a 160-mile ride and averaged over 18 mph for
the entire ride. That's on a hybrid, folks. Wow. She was using aero bars,
BTW.

Have fun,

Barry Sanders

Old September 1st 03, 07:15 AM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 31 Aug 2003 20:39:37 -0500,
, "B. Sanders"
wrote:

Several riders in my cycling club use aero bars on their Trek 7500's. One of
our riders rode her 7500FX on a 160-mile ride and averaged over 18 mph for
the entire ride. That's on a hybrid, folks. Wow. She was using aero bars,
BTW.

Was she riding solo or in a group? It makes a big difference when you
can rotate the lead. With four riders, you're doing 30% less work 75%
of the time.
--
zk
Old September 1st 03, 06:20 PM
B. Sanders

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 20:39:37 -0500,
, "B. Sanders"
wrote:

Several riders in my cycling club use aero bars on their Trek 7500's. One

of
our riders rode her 7500FX on a 160-mile ride and averaged over 18 mph

for
the entire ride. That's on a hybrid, folks. Wow. She was using aero

bars,
BTW.

Was she riding solo or in a group? It makes a big difference when you
can rotate the lead. With four riders, you're doing 30% less work 75%
of the time.

She was riding solo. Wearing worn-out sneakers. If you saw her, you
wouldn't believe what a powerhouse she is. She rides year-round, every
single day, on the Trek 7500 hybrid or one of her beloved Schwinn single
speeds. She's an inspiration to us all, and completely unpretentious about
her abilities.

-Barry