After mowing trail w/thorns?

Old October 26th 04, 03:50 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Sadly, by the time the decomposition and moisture start to break the stuff
down it'll be next year and another crop will be growing. Removing the
stuff might be accomplished if you had a powerful mower with a side-chute to
chuck the stuff to the side of the trail. Miss a few and you could be in
trouble, tho.

I think the powerful mower/side-chute is the rout I'm going to take....and then
let decomposition clean up the leftovers.

Next spring, I'll give it another wack with the moser/side-chute and maybe a
couple more during the summer. The blackberries will just keep coming, but
they aren't a puncture problem until the canes get fairly large and the thorns
start to harden off.
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 26th 04, 04:00 PM
Ride-A-Lot

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
RE/

Sadly, by the time the decomposition and moisture start to break the stuff
down it'll be next year and another crop will be growing. Removing the
stuff might be accomplished if you had a powerful mower with a side-chute to
chuck the stuff to the side of the trail. Miss a few and you could be in
trouble, tho.

I think the powerful mower/side-chute is the rout I'm going to take....and then
let decomposition clean up the leftovers.

Next spring, I'll give it another wack with the moser/side-chute and maybe a
couple more during the summer. The blackberries will just keep coming, but
they aren't a puncture problem until the canes get fairly large and the thorns
start to harden off.

Once you get a little ST nestled in there and packed down, things should
be ok.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old October 26th 04, 10:31 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
ST

?

--
PeteCresswell
Old October 26th 04, 11:07 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

RE/
ST

?

Single track.

Bill "fertile mind" S.

Old October 28th 04, 02:19 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Right now, I think that, if I go to the county and don't get anywhere, I'll try
my 38" rotary deck on a couple hundred feet of it. This deck has pretty good
suction/exhaust power and blows the stuff to one side.

Worked like a charm....I can see dirt on almost all 5 miles of it...

If I can ride it back-and-forth couple times tomorrow without flatting I'll call
it a wrap...
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 30th 04, 12:19 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Are there many people riding this trail or is it just you? A few weeks
of dirt bikes ripping through there and there will be no signs of life
left to worry about.

It's just me right now. It started while I was working at a building on the
trail and clearing a couple miles would get me a route home without contending
with traffic.

Then my contract expired last month, so time was heavy on my hands and I got
this wild hair up my butt about clearing more of it.

I rode it yesterday without flatting - so I guess the finish mower did the job.

Actually, it's a miserable ride - boring (flat and straight) and bumpy (1800's
railroad ballast - looks like big cinders).

Normally, I cringe when I hear about perfectly-good hardpack being
"improved"...but paving this thing will definately be an improvement.

Check out http://www.montcopa.org/parks/ChesterValley_trail.htm for the big
picture. The parts I cleared are along a five mile stretch that's off the map
where the black dots stop on the lower edge at Wold Eagle School Road and 202.
That web site is Montgomery County's. "My" part is in Chester County.

--
PeteCresswell
Old October 30th 04, 12:23 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Are there many people riding this trail or is it just you?

Although I'm the only one riding it, I met four runners while riding it
yesterday. There's a big financial company on one end of it and a health club
about two miles down from the company.

Part of my rationalization is that having something there and in use will help
counterbalance whatever forces might be at work trying to kill the project (e.g.
irate adjacent property owners, people trying to balance the budget....). The
project's been going on for over 11 years.
--
PeteCresswell