Newbie: Question on Shoes

Old April 3rd 05, 09:41 PM
Jason Settles

Default Newbie: Question on Shoes

I recently purchased a Giant Cypress DX for exercise and enjoyment. I love
the bike but learned the need for good shoes. Can anyone recommend something
other than a strict cycling shoe?

Like the DX, I would like a hybrid-type shoe. Something that would be
efficient for cycling yet practical for "off-bike" walking. I've looked at
MTB style shoes but haven't found anything so far.

Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old April 3rd 05, 10:17 PM
Bill Sornson

Jason Settles wrote:
I recently purchased a Giant Cypress DX for exercise and enjoyment. I
love the bike but learned the need for good shoes. Can anyone
recommend something other than a strict cycling shoe?

Like the DX, I would like a hybrid-type shoe. Something that would be
efficient for cycling yet practical for "off-bike" walking. I've
looked at MTB style shoes but haven't found anything so far.

Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks!

Assuming you don't want "clip in"-type shoes, then any fairly light shoe
with a /stiffer than average sole/ will work fine for recreational cycling.
(Lugged sole if riding off-road.)

There are also plenty of inexpensive, "entry level" cycling shoes that would
suit you well. They generally have the cleat-attachment area covered with a
rubber piece to work with "regular" pedals, but also allow going to the
clipless option later.

Groggy sentence constructionist Bill (post nap)

Old April 3rd 05, 10:54 PM
jj

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 21:17:42 GMT, "Bill Sornson"
wrote:

Jason Settles wrote:
[...]

Yeah, well in the old days we'd get a sturdy cracker tin and trace out the
pattern of our Keds, then presto, snip that out and some hot glue a few
carpet nails later, 'hybrid cycling shoe'.

jj

Old April 3rd 05, 11:29 PM
Arthur Harris

"Jason Settles" wrote:
I recently purchased a Giant Cypress DX for exercise and enjoyment. I love
the bike but learned the need for good shoes. Can anyone recommend
something
other than a strict cycling shoe?

Something that would be
efficient for cycling yet practical for "off-bike" walking.

Lake has some inexpensive shoes that can be used with or without clipless
pedals.

My wife uses the Lake MX-101 (available in men and women's versions). See:

http://www.nashbar.com/nashbar_photo.../LK-MX1014.gif

As shown, there is a insert covering the cleat recess for use with "regular"
pedals. You can remove the insert, and install an SPD cleat in the recess.
The cleat won't touch the ground when walking. Most people quickly get used
to clipping in and out of SPD pedals. And shoes like these are very
comfortable for walking when off the bike.

Art Harris

Old April 3rd 05, 11:30 PM
Ken

"Jason Settles" wrote in
om:
Like the DX, I would like a hybrid-type shoe. Something that would be
efficient for cycling yet practical for "off-bike" walking. I've looked
at MTB style shoes but haven't found anything so far.

If MTB shoes are too bulky for you, try touring shoes. They have flatter
soles and some flex for walking, but are still stiff enough for somewhat
efficient cycling. Shimano touring shoes are somewhat stiffer than some of
the Euro brands.
Old April 4th 05, 05:16 AM
Rangersfan

"Jason Settles" wrote in message
om...
I recently purchased a Giant Cypress DX for exercise and enjoyment. I love
the bike but learned the need for good shoes. Can anyone recommend
something
other than a strict cycling shoe?

Like the DX, I would like a hybrid-type shoe. Something that would be
efficient for cycling yet practical for "off-bike" walking. I've looked at
MTB style shoes but haven't found anything so far.

Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks!

If you're still willing to consider a MTB shoe, I really like my pair of
Answer Impact. They are nearly as light as a road shoe, but with recessed
cleats for walking without having to clip on ackward cleat covers. They
have a good compromise between stiff and flexible, and are very well made.
I had a cheaper pair before I got those, but got rid of them because they
were too uncomfortable.

http://www.answerproducts.com/items....d=10&itemid=47

Old April 4th 05, 07:12 AM
Jim Smith

wrote:

Jason Settles wrote:
[...]

Do the time lines of sturdy cracker tins and hot glue intersect?
Old April 4th 05, 03:25 PM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 20:41:40 +0000, Jason Settles wrote:

I recently purchased a Giant Cypress DX for exercise and enjoyment. I love
the bike but learned the need for good shoes. Can anyone recommend something
other than a strict cycling shoe?

Why not a cycling shoe? They don't all look horrid. Right now, I'm
wearing Shimano SH-MO20s, and I'll wear them all day at work. With
cleats.

Cycling shoes are specific, since they have a very stiff sole, much
stiffer than any "regular" shoe. This helps greatly when riding.
Compromises like the shoes I'm wearing have a bit of flex, but still are
stiffer than other shoes. I can walk comfortably, and am much more
comfortable on the bike than I am with other shoes.

To start off, use them without cleats and clipless pedals. That will be
the next step. Decent mountain bike shoes let you walk without problems.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. --
_`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

Old April 5th 05, 05:18 AM
maxo

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:54:38 -0400, jj wrote:

Yeah, well in the old days we'd get a sturdy cracker tin and trace out the
pattern of our Keds, then presto, snip that out and some hot glue a few
carpet nails later, 'hybrid cycling shoe'.

jj

My old Bata slot cleat shoes were probably made like that, I peeled away
the insole once and saw horrifyingly sharp metal bonded to the rubber
outsole. Nice Iron Curtain type road shoes. I don't miss 'em. Probably
made the stiffners from used smoked smelt cans. Would explain the smell.