FFTF: Interesting View

Old May 6th 05, 05:03 PM
JD

Default FFTF: Interesting View

I just finished stopping in at my (previoiusly) local oil change place
in the Grand Valley and had an interesting encounter while waiting for
my truck. There was a late 50ish woman with a lapdog in her lap,
waiting as well. After a few minutes of silence, I decided to comment
on the wonderful weather here. The conversation progressed a little
and then she turned it to the invasion of mountain bikers who were
descending on her little burg. She sounded a little bitter when she
myopically expressed disdain for the closure of East Aspen St. for the
FFTF this year. It seems that a small mom & pop flower shop on the
closed section might have their Mother's Day business interrupted some
because of the festivities. Sure, it's an inconvenience for the flower
shop, but the overall shot in the arm that Fruita gets from the FFTF
greatly overshadows any one business' minor inconvenience. When I
moved to Fruita ten years ago, Fruita was turning into a ghost
town/minor bedroom community for Grand Junction. Now it's a thriving
and prosperous community due to a man's vision and the help from a
small group of demented mountain bikers who believed in that vision. I
hope that when this woman goes to sell her home in Fruita that she
bought 20 years ago for ten thousand dollars and gets two hundred
thousand for, remembers who helped make that possible instead of a
flower shop's minor inconvenience.

JD back home on the range for a few days

Old May 6th 05, 07:30 PM
Paladin

"JD" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Now that story brought a tear to my eye....

CDB

Old May 6th 05, 08:50 PM
jack

"JD" wrote in message
ups.com...
I hope that when this woman goes to sell her home in Fruita that she
bought 20 years ago for ten thousand dollars and gets two hundred
thousand for, remembers who helped make that possible instead of a
flower shop's minor inconvenience.

Problem with prosperity is sometimes it forces people to move away because
they can't afford to live there any more. She's lucky that she owns her own
home.

Old May 6th 05, 09:30 PM

JD wrote:
[...]

Reminds me of how people feel about tourists here. They drive the
economy (and they're easy lays) but for the most part they get in the
freakin' way.

/s

Old May 6th 05, 11:08 PM
small change

JD wrote:
I just finished stopping in at my (previoiusly) local oil change place

Sure, it's an inconvenience for the
flower shop, but the overall shot in the arm that Fruita gets from
the FFTF greatly overshadows any one business' minor inconvenience.
When I moved to Fruita ten years ago, Fruita was turning into a ghost
town/minor bedroom community for Grand Junction. Now it's a thriving
and prosperous community due to a man's vision and the help from a
small group of demented mountain bikers who believed in that vision.
I hope that when this woman goes to sell her home in Fruita that she
bought 20 years ago for ten thousand dollars and gets two hundred
thousand for, remembers who helped make that possible instead of a
flower shop's minor inconvenience.

JD back home on the range for a few days

curious, did you actually have a conversation, was she able to see the
upside at all? I can sure understand a florist beign concerned about sales
around so-called holidays like Mother's day .

penny

Old May 6th 05, 11:21 PM
Ride-A-Lot

JD wrote:
[...]

Beware! This is the sort of thing that started happening in Jim Thorpe,
PA. Now it's a kitchy trendy town looking to do away with the MTBers.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old May 7th 05, 05:02 AM
Corvus Corvax

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

Beware! This is the sort of thing that started happening in Jim

Thorpe,
PA. Now it's a kitchy trendy town looking to do away with the

MTBers.

Bumper sticker seen in Jim Thorpe several years ago:

"If it's tourist season, how come we can't shoot 'em?"

CC

Old May 7th 05, 05:24 AM
(PeteCresswell)

Per jack:
Problem with prosperity is sometimes it forces people to move away because
they can't afford to live there any more. She's lucky that she owns her own
home.

Hood River, Oregon: Guys riding around in pickup trucks with "Wind Faggot Go
Home" bumper stickers.
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 7th 05, 05:10 PM
MattB

Corvus Corvax wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:

Beware! This is the sort of thing that started happening in Jim

Thorpe,

PA. Now it's a kitchy trendy town looking to do away with the

MTBers.

Bumper sticker seen in Jim Thorpe several years ago:

"If it's tourist season, how come we can't shoot 'em?"

CC

That's a popular one around here too. On pickups with gun racks.

Matt
Old May 7th 05, 11:05 PM
jem

small change wrote:
JD wrote:

[...]

Yeah, and I think that is the first or second busiest day of the year
for florists. Probably do a ton of business in just a few days, so being
closed for a few hours might cost them a lot. OTOH, bikes rule!