Question about 1994 Manitou Forks

Old June 5th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Twitchell

Default Question about 1994 Manitou Forks

In article ,
Anthony DeLorenzo says...

I just pulled a near-identical fork off a friend's bike a few days
ago, in similar condition. It was totally bottomed out.

Can you pull down the fork lowers? Will they slide? If so, the fork
isn't seized, but you would need to rebuild the fork with whatever
goes in there -- seals, oil, elastomers... Probably unavailable or
difficult to find. In my case, I just replaced it with a 2002 Rock
Shox Judy that I got for $10 at a yard sale.

I oiled all around the top part and it will go up and down 3/8" but you really
have to sit on it.

Guess I'll just leave it as it is and hopefully, something will turn up at a
garage sale.

BTW, to remove the whole fork from the bike, do I just loosten it topmost
nut?...and just pull it out? The instructions don't really say but I assume
it's no different than any other fork.

twitch

Old June 6th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
spincircles

It is perhaps no longer safe to ride due to both its age, if used hard
over the years, and due to its design. Those forks, IIRC, had cnc
machined aluminum fork dropouts and crowns. The crown on that model
may be prone to cracking. Something about the shape and the nature of
cnc machined aluminum. Try internet searching for the model name and
"recall" or failure.

At any rate, time and money to refurn a non-oem supported, un damped,
short travel elastomer fork is perhaps not time well spent.

Consider upgrading your dental plan if you continue to ride this fork.

regards,
Pat Smith

It's a 14 year old suspension fork. *The oil in it has long been dried out.
Now it's a rigid fork. *Take it apart and try to fix it, or live with it as
a rigid.- Hide quoted text -

Old June 6th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Twitchell

In article ,
spincircles says...

It is perhaps no longer safe to ride due to both its age, if used hard
over the years, and due to its design. Those forks, IIRC, had cnc
machined aluminum fork dropouts and crowns. The crown on that model
may be prone to cracking. Something about the shape and the nature of
cnc machined aluminum. Try internet searching for the model name and
"recall" or failure.

At any rate, time and money to refurn a non-oem supported, un damped,
short travel elastomer fork is perhaps not time well spent.

Consider upgrading your dental plan if you continue to ride this fork.

regards,
Pat Smith

Manitou had a recall in '93 but not this model.

twitch

It's a 14 year old suspension fork. =A0The oil in it has long been dried o=

ut.
Now it's a rigid fork. =A0Take it apart and try to fix it, or live with it=

as
a rigid.- Hide quoted text -