Tire width on a CT1?

Old May 28th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
C. Ballou

Default Tire width on a CT1?

I have a Colnago CT1 I am set to use as a travel bike. I want to go to
Europe with it, but some of the tours I am looking at have roads that
apparently aren't that good. It has been suggested that I use a bike
with wider tires, like a hybrid. I'd rather not.
Question: Does anyone know how wide a tire I can safely put on my
bike? The rims are Mavic Open 4's. I run 23's now. Can I go 28 or more
for the trip?
Thanks.
Old May 28th 08, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
C. Ballou wrote:

I have a Colnago CT1 I am set to use as a travel bike. I want to go to
Europe with it, but some of the tours I am looking at have roads that
apparently aren't that good. It has been suggested that I use a bike
with wider tires, like a hybrid. I'd rather not.
Question: Does anyone know how wide a tire I can safely put on my
bike? The rims are Mavic Open 4's. I run 23's now. Can I go 28 or more
for the trip?

I saw some guys going up a gravel road in the
Italian alps on 23 mm tires the other day.

--
Michael Press
Old May 28th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On May 27, 10:25*pm, C. Ballou wrote:
I have a Colnago CT1 I am set to use as a travel bike. I want to go to
Europe with it, but some of the tours I am looking at have roads that
apparently aren't that good. It has been suggested that I use a bike
with wider tires, like a hybrid. I'd rather not.
Question: Does anyone know how wide a tire I can safely put on my
bike? The rims are Mavic Open 4's. I run 23's now. Can I go 28 or more
for the trip?
Thanks.

Only way to really tell is go to your favorite bike shop, make an
'appointment' to test tire width at THEIR convenience, take along a
sixer of the guy's favorite and put some tires on the wheels to see.
If 28c work, buy them. Try a Conti gatorskin 28 for starters.
Old May 28th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 28, 12:15*am, Michael Press wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...0027811_1_full

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...0027747_1_full

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...0027750_1_full

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...0027749_1_full

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...0027751_1_full

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...0027764_1_full

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...0027765_1_full

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...0027777_1_full

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...0027781_1_full

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...0027784_1_full

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...0027819_1_full

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...0027820_1_full

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...0027829_1_full

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...0027839_1_full

--
Michael Press

Old May 28th 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bookieb

On May 28, 1:34 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
wrote:
On May 27, 10:25 pm, C. Ballou wrote:

I have a Colnago CT1 I am set to use as a travel bike. I want to go to
Europe with it, but some of the tours I am looking at have roads that
apparently aren't that good. It has been suggested that I use a bike
with wider tires, like a hybrid. I'd rather not.
Question: Does anyone know how wide a tire I can safely put on my
bike? The rims are Mavic Open 4's. I run 23's now. Can I go 28 or more
for the trip?
Thanks.

Only way to really tell is go to your favorite bike shop, make an
'appointment' to test tire width at THEIR convenience, take along a
sixer of the guy's favorite and put some tires on the wheels to see.
If 28c work, buy them. Try a Conti gatorskin 28 for starters.

Just ot add to what Peter wrote, the Gatorskin in a 28 is not only
wider than a "racing" 23, but the casing is tougher than most too, so
for poor roads, it gives both more cushioning and better resistance to
damage. If the 28 won't fit, have a look at the 25.

I run the Gatorskin in a 25 year round on my commuting/winter
training/"get around" bike - tough casing, reasonable cut/puncture
protection, a bit of extra cushioning, but not so heavy as to be
noticeable.

I weigh 90kg, so I'm no lightweight, but I can run the 25 at 90psi
(which gives a lot more comfort on a bad surface) without too much
risk of pinch flats.
By contrast, I need to keep the 23c Conti GP4000s tires that I use on
my racing bike above 105psi to prevent pinch flats.

Purely subjectively, it feels like to 23c 4000s has less drag when
coasting than the 25c Gatorskin on the same bike, but some of that is
probably perception and expectation on my part, rather than anything
concrete.
I also think the grip from the 4000s is marginally better (back end
doesn't slip around when sprinting), but bar that I wouldn't be too
upset to do all my riding on the 25 Gatorskin.

For me and the riding I do, it's a good compromise - heavy enough to
take the abuse of moderately bad surfaces, wide enough to be
comfortable, light enough not to deaden the feel of the bike. If the
surfaces were worse again, I'd be on the 28c.

hth,

bookieb.
Old May 28th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

C. Ballou wrote:

I have a Colnago CT1 I am set to use as a travel bike. I want to go to
Europe with it, but some of the tours I am looking at have roads that
apparently aren't that good.

I have a CT1 myself and I just wonder if that's the bike one should ride if
roads are so bad that one needs 28mm tires.

I'd rather ride a steel/full titanium bike on such a trip.

Derk
Old May 28th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Derk wrote:
C. Ballou wrote:

I have a Colnago CT1 I am set to use as a travel bike. I want to go to
Europe with it, but some of the tours I am looking at have roads that
apparently aren't that good.

I have a CT1 myself and I just wonder if that's the bike one should ride if
roads are so bad that one needs 28mm tires.

I'd rather ride a steel/full titanium bike on such a trip.

you're not under the impression that those materials are more durable i
hope - for fatigue, cfrp is much more resistant than either.
Old May 28th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

jim beam wrote:

you're not under the impression that those materials are more durable i
hope - for fatigue, cfrp is much more resistant than either.

I read a few reports about above-average number of problems a.o. here (hope
you read German) :

Written by a guy who calls himself "veld01":

http://forum.tour-magazin.de/showthr...&highlight=CT1

I bought one nevertheless, because I like the frame very much. Riding it on
bad roads with maybe lots of luggage is a different story. If a glued
connection ever fails while on vacation, you're in deep sh%$. There are not
*that* many Bikeshops that will give people they don't know a loaner for a
few weeks.

Derk

Old May 28th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

jim beam wrote:

you're not under the impression that those materials are more durable i
hope - for fatigue, cfrp is much more resistant than either.

Let me refrase that, hoping I can make my point of view any clearer:
The CT1 is a great frame in my opinion. It's a pure-bred race frame.
I compare it to a Ferrari. Would you ever consider taking a Ferrari off-road
to participate in a rally cross? There are different kinds of cars that
are more suitable for that. That doesn't take away that a Ferrari is a
unique and great car.

Do you understand what I mean?

Derk
Old May 28th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee[_217_]

[...]

+1 unless you have a support vehicle carrying spares like the race moto
or your team car.

--
daveornee

Newbie query re rim width vs. tire width (longish) [email protected] Techniques 4 April 9th 07 01:42 PM
Tire width and RR Ivar Hesselager Techniques 21 June 17th 05 06:43 AM
max tire width Snake Techniques 9 October 23rd 04 10:05 PM
MTB - Rim width vs. Tire width Ned Mantei Techniques 5 July 11th 04 12:01 AM
Matching tire width to rim width. mscalisi Unicycling 4 April 15th 04 05:48 PM