Need a 17" Touring BIke with 27" Wheels

Old May 31st 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Need a 17" Touring BIke with 27" Wheels

On May 31, 2:15 pm, A Muzi wrote:
Rosie Browne wrote:
I am doing a bike across the US for the American Lung Association
starting June 23. I need a touring bike,...

Since she just left here on a new Bianchi Volpe with Michelin 700-28 it
seems to have worked out OK.

In a "Cycle Oregon" shirt no less.
Old June 1st 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
A Muzi wrote:

Since she just left here on a new Bianchi Volpe with Michelin 700-28
it seems to have worked out OK.

Good choice.
Old June 1st 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On May 31, 3:15*pm, A Muzi wrote:
*Rosie Browne wrote:
I am doing a bike across the US for the American Lung Association
starting June 23. *I need a touring bike, as the bike I had ordered
for the trip will not be ready. *Please let me know if you know of a
dealer that might have this type of bike in their inventory. *I will
pay shipping charges. *You can reach me at .
Thanks for your assistance, Rosie Browne

Tim McNamara wrote:
FWFW 27" wheels ain't gonna happen. *Bikes haven't been sold with that
size wheels in close to 20 years. *700C is the norm for touring bikes. *
A 17" (43 cm) bike is pretty small and you might actually do better with
one designed for 26" wheels. *The frame geometry compromises are
considerable with small bikes and 700C wheels. *

You might consider:

http://www.rivbike.com/products/list...product=50-038

These bikes are well-liked by everyone I've talked to that owns one. *
It's usually their favorite bike.

I, and I think most of us here, assumed that by "27" she meant "full
size" or 700C.
Since she just left here on a new Bianchi Volpe with Michelin 700-28 it
seems to have worked out OK.
Both sizes are valid but widespread availability of replacement rubber
for her particular planned excursion will be much less trouble with 700C.
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/

Good for you Andy, once more, a reason to participate in these goofy
NGs...
Old June 3rd 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Sat, 31 May 2008 05:59:36 -0700 (PDT), Rosie Browne
may have said:

On May 30, 10:38*pm, A Muzi wrote:
Rosie Browne wrote:
I am doing a bike across the US for the American Lung Association
starting June 23. *I need a touring bike, as the bike I had ordered
for the trip will not be ready. *Please let me know if you know of a
dealer that might have this type of bike in their inventory. *I will
pay shipping charges. *You can reach me at .

Thanks for your assistance,
Rosie Browne

Bianchi Volpe? Here or any Bianchi dealer. What size bike?
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

50cm - I also need 27" wheels.

Why 27"? It's an obsolete size that no current road or touring bike
manufacturer employs. The usual replacement is 700c, which is close
to the same size overall. If this is a tour that requires a 27" tire
size explicitly, you're going to be stuck with trying to find a very
old bike in long-ride condition, which isn't impossible but isn't
certain on short notice.

Old June 3rd 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

Tim McNamara wrote:
[...]

And I was just going to suggest that if she was in Milwaukee, then a
short run out to you guys would probably get her on exactly what she
needed.

Old June 4th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

A Muzi wrote:

Since she just left here on a new Bianchi Volpe with Michelin 700-28 it
seems to have worked out OK.

Good choice. I see that Trek finally corrected the crankset problem on
the 520 after so many years. For 2008 it's 50/39/30, for 2007 it was
52/42/30. The Volpe is 28/38/48T, which is better for loaded touring,
though I really like the 48-36-26t on the Surly LHT.

I notice that the Volpe doesn't have the front low-rider rack braze-ons.
Too bad.
Old June 4th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

SMS wrote:
Good choice. I see that Trek finally corrected the crankset problem on
the 520 after so many years. For 2008 it's 50/39/30, for 2007 it was
52/42/30. The Volpe is 28/38/48T, which is better for loaded touring,
though I really like the 48-36-26t on the Surly LHT.
I notice that the Volpe doesn't have the front low-rider rack braze-ons.
Too bad.

Many feel that a banded upper lowrider mount is preferable to a hole in
the fork blade. That's more a quibble than a crisis on an otherwise
exceptional touring bike.

p.s. a subset of Volpe owners ask for 53t outers despite 48x11 = 118 inches!