NEW TO BIKES...and have some questions

Old June 3rd 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

Default NEW TO BIKES...and have some questions

On 2 Jun 2008 09:31:16 -0700, Twitchell
may have said:

I need new tires but since I haven't ridden a bike in over 40 years, I'm really
not up to speed on how to figure out how to shop for them.

It hasn't changed all that much.

The existing front tire rim is 26" X 1" (outside diameter) current tire says 26
x 1.50
rear tire rim is 26" x 1.25" (out side diameter) current tire says 26 X 1.75

The front tire has many bulges along the sides (looks like a racing tire...it's
mostly smooth) and seems about to blow. The rear tire is an old mountain tire
and worn out.

I want the same size tire on each rim. Can I put a 26 X 1.75 tire on the front?

Yes. I would avoid knobby tires, though, since you don't need them
unless you're going to be riding in the dirt a lot. The knobby tread
sets up a buzzing vibration when you ride; this can be really hard on
the wrists and elbows in particular, in my experience.

Seems like I could because it's not much bigger that what I already have.
Should I also buy new tubes?

It's not a bad idea; keep the old ones as spares to swap in for a
quick fix if you have a flat. Inspect the rim strips (the rubber or
cloth bands that cover the heads of the spokes) while you have the
tires off, and make sure they aren't about to come apart...and make
sure they're present! Also, look for bubbly rust in the areas where
the tube comes in contact with the rim; this is a frequent source of
repetitive punctures on older steel-rim bikes.

I've been to Amazon and priced tires. I don't
need the off road...just street tires and Cheng Shen seem like the cheapest ones
there at $6 to $9.

Those should do just fine.

Any advise appreciated. Just remember, I'm on a LIMITED budget and this is
really an experiment to see if this a good idea for artificial hips. Met
someone yesterday on a bike and turns out he had his knee AND hip replaced on
one side and highly recommends biking as therapy.

An acquaintance with a replacement knee doesn't trust his new joint on
a regular bike, but rides a recumbent as often as he can. That type
of bike is a lot more expensive to buy, however.

Old June 3rd 08, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Just out of curiosity, the front forks of the Pine Mountain don't look
like the ones I have. Can I assume the user just replaced the stock
ones with ones from Manitou?

James Thomson says... "Twitchell" a écrit
According to the 1993 catalogue I have here - and I'm paraphrasing using my
very rudimentary German - Manitou elastomer forks were an option on all
models from the Bear Valley SE up.

Twitchell wrote:
Thanks. I guess it's time to look at that catalog.
Can you send that pdf to
I'd appreciate it. I stopped by a bike shop during yesterdays walk and was
floored by the prices! It's insane. Prices for just the pedals were $35 to
$50. I bought an almost new 15 speed Huffy at a garage sale last Saturday for
$10. I wasn't sure what kind of bike to use so I gave myself a choice. The
Huffy is just too small so I'll sell it at the end of the month for (hopefully)
$25 or $30 and keep the mountain bike.
As a small crazed protest against the high prices, I pulled the pedal reflectors
off the Huffy pedals and inserted them on the mountain bike pedals. Both bikes
are not compatible of course...Huffy uses standard measurements and the mountain
bike uses metric so I could just switch pedals! I did, however, pull a small
pouch that attaches to the frame from the Huffy and will put in on the mountain
bike. It's ridiculously small, triangular in shape and might hold a small tool.

Compare a Montblanc Princesse fountain pen ($35) with a Bic (ten for 99
cents)
One might scrawl with both equally, I suppose.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old June 4th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
philcycles[_2_]

On Jun 3, 2:47 am, Twitchell wrote:

I live in Marin county CA....maybe that explains it.

twitch

You've been given good advise here and here's some more. I would take
it to the Recyclery in San Rafael under the freeway on 4th St. They
won't look down on it and won't steer you wrong or gouge you. And if
you need parts they have lots of good used parts.
Before I went for a ride I'd check with my orthopod and/or physical
theripist. Very important. Also I would be fitted to the bike very
carefully with an eye towards your problems. If you can't find anyone
in Marin-perhaps Bicycle Odessey in Saucilito-to do it I'd be happy
to. I'm a frame builder in Berkeley.
Phil Brown
Old June 4th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Twitchell

In article , A Muzi says...

Twitchell wrote:
[...]

At this point, I strickly a Bic guy. I'll buy a Montblanc Princess when I gain
employment and have some spare coin.

twitch

Old June 4th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Twitchell

In article ,
philcycles says...

On Jun 3, 2:47 am, Twitchell wrote:

I live in Marin county CA....maybe that explains it.

twitch

You've been given good advise here and here's some more. I would take
it to the Recyclery in San Rafael under the freeway on 4th St. They
won't look down on it and won't steer you wrong or gouge you. And if
you need parts they have lots of good used parts.
Before I went for a ride I'd check with my orthopod and/or physical
theripist. Very important. Also I would be fitted to the bike very
carefully with an eye towards your problems. If you can't find anyone
in Marin-perhaps Bicycle Odessey in Saucilito-to do it I'd be happy
to. I'm a frame builder in Berkeley.
Phil Brown

Thanks Phil but as I'm out-of-work and on unemployment, funds are low. My basic
problem is swinging my leg over the thing just to get on. I have to lean the
bike WAY OVER, so my legs aren't too swung too high. I used to be a carpenter
and decades of heavy lifting wore away my hips. Unable to walk normally for
years left me with weakened leg muscles which are taking a LONG TIME to rebuild.
I can sit in a chair and use a computer (have been for almost a decade) but it's
been only in the last four months that I can mow my own lawn as pushing a mower
was too much of a strain on my weakened leg muscles. The hips are brand new and
prolly the best part of my body. It's the muscles that give me a hardtime.

Any parts will come from garage sales or purchase at Amazon.

So far, I've got what you can see in the photos....

http://imgplace.com/image/view/b2094...e89bbb3f180f75

http://imgplace.com/image/view/eb92e...b42d58b9160246