Bike tire size question

Old June 3rd 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Twitchell

Default Bike tire size question

I'm ordering some tires for a bike but some of the sizes are in fractions (1
3/4) and others are in decimal (1.75)

Is there a difference?

The rim is 26 x 1" (outside diameter) and have been told here that it will take
a 1.75" width tire. It currently has a tire that says 26 X 1.50

thanks

twitch

Old June 3rd 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

Twitchell wrote:
I'm ordering some tires for a bike but some of the sizes are in fractions (1
3/4) and others are in decimal (1.75)
Is there a difference? *

YES!

See:
http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Art Harris
Old June 3rd 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On 3 Jun 2008 13:51:59 -0700, Twitchell
may have said:

I'm ordering some tires for a bike but some of the sizes are in fractions (1
3/4) and others are in decimal (1.75)

Is there a difference?

There sure is!

The rim is 26 x 1" (outside diameter) and have been told here that it will take
a 1.75" width tire. It currently has a tire that says 26 X 1.50

A 1" wide rim (outside measure) of typical designs will easily support
anything from 1.50 to 2.00" sectional size. It is not unusual to see
tires beyond that range installed on such a rim, and it usually works
well enough for the average rider to have no problems.

For more extensive info on bike tire sizes, see
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Old June 3rd 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Twitchell

In article , Werehatrack says...

may have said:

I'm ordering some tires for a bike but some of the sizes are in fractions (1
3/4) and others are in decimal (1.75)

Is there a difference?

There sure is!

The rim is 26 x 1" (outside diameter) and have been told here that it will take
a 1.75" width tire. It currently has a tire that says 26 X 1.50

A 1" wide rim (outside measure) of typical designs will easily support
anything from 1.50 to 2.00" sectional size. It is not unusual to see
tires beyond that range installed on such a rim, and it usually works
well enough for the average rider to have no problems.

For more extensive info on bike tire sizes, see
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Both of you....

Would I be safe in ordering:

Cheng Shin C1027 Raised Center Tire 26 x 1.95" Wire Bead BSW

http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-C10...532851&sr=1-64

or

Cheng Shin C215 Street Tire 26 x 1-3/4" Wire Bead BW

http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-C21...532851&sr=1-71

or maybe even

26x2.125, Raised Center, Black, 40psi, Tire

http://www.amazon.com/26x2-125-Raise...33152&sr=1-138

Do inner tubes come in sizes like tires or is it one size fits all? I should
get a couple of them for the tires. I'm going to buy two tires.

twitch

Old June 4th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"Twitchell" wrote in message
In article , Werehatrack
says...

Would I be safe in ordering:

Cheng Shin C1027 Raised Center Tire 26 x 1.95" Wire Bead BSW

http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-C10...532851&sr=1-64

Do inner tubes come in sizes like tires or is it one size fits all? I
should
get a couple of them for the tires. I'm going to buy two tires.

Unless you are riding your bike off-road in rather heavy terrain I would
suggest you use a 26 x 1.25" such as
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...to%2026x1%2E75

Yes, inner tubes come in sizes as well but they're pretty general. Remember
that there are a couple of different filler types and you have to buy the
proper type for your rims. The pictures of your bike appear that you use a
Schrader Filler and so a tube for that could be:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...cat%3A%20Tubes

Old June 4th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Twitchell

In article , Tom Kunich says...

"Twitchell" wrote in message
In article , Werehatrack
says...

Would I be safe in ordering:

Cheng Shin C1027 Raised Center Tire 26 x 1.95" Wire Bead BSW

http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-C10...532851&sr=1-64

Do inner tubes come in sizes like tires or is it one size fits all? I
should
get a couple of them for the tires. I'm going to buy two tires.

Unless you are riding your bike off-road in rather heavy terrain I would
suggest you use a 26 x 1.25" such as
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...to%2026x1%2E75

Sheesh...that's almost BALD. Prolly good for you and your rides but I do want
some tread. It seems like a good idea to have matching sizes, front and rear
which is why I want 1.75 or 1.95 I like the tube though.

Old June 4th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_9_]

Twitchell wrote:
In article , Tom Kunich says...
"Twitchell" wrote in message
In article , Werehatrack
says...
Would I be safe in ordering:

Cheng Shin C1027 Raised Center Tire 26 x 1.95" Wire Bead BSW

http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-C10...532851&sr=1-64

Do inner tubes come in sizes like tires or is it one size fits all? I
should
get a couple of them for the tires. I'm going to buy two tires.

Unless you are riding your bike off-road in rather heavy terrain I would
suggest you use a 26 x 1.25" such as
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...to%2026x1%2E75

Sheesh...that's almost BALD. Prolly good for you and your rides but I do want
some tread. It seems like a good idea to have matching sizes, front and rear
which is why I want 1.75 or 1.95 I like the tube though.

Tread serves no purpose for bicycle tires used on pavement. Really.
You'll get better grip, especially in the wet, with a smooth tire.

If you'll be riding in gravel, dirt, etc., then go ahead and get some tread.

Mark J.
Old June 4th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"Twitchell" wrote in message
In article , Tom Kunich
says...

Unless you are riding your bike off-road in rather heavy terrain I would
suggest you use a 26 x 1.25" such as
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...to%2026x1%2E75

Sheesh...that's almost BALD. Prolly good for you and your rides but I do
want
some tread. It seems like a good idea to have matching sizes, front and
rear
which is why I want 1.75 or 1.95 I like the tube though.

That raised tread on off-road tires gives you MUCH poorer traction on
asphalt. Also you do not require a very wide tire. Remember that on my
street bike I'm running a 23 mm wide tire - that's about 7/8" and it is more
than enough.

Old June 4th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,

On 2008-06-03, Twitchell wrote:

I'm ordering some tires for a bike but some of the sizes are in
fractions (1 3/4) and others are in decimal (1.75)

Is there a difference?

The rim is 26 x 1" (outside diameter) and have been told here that
it will take a 1.75" width tire. It currently has a tire that says
26 X 1.50

Yes. Tire sizing traditionally has been a nightmare. Back in the 70s
an ISO standard for designating tire sizes was implemented; it will
be a pair of numbers like "28-622" where the first number indicates
the nominal width and the second the bead seat diameter. See if you
can find the ISO numbers on your tire (they're often molded into the
sidewall) and use that to find a compatible tire.

Good advice. ISO numbers simplify things quite a bit. Sheldon Brown's
article on tire sizes, previously referenced by others, sorts out the
nightmare pretty well and lets people figure out what the tire sizes of
old British bikes were when buying new tires. Them old dried out tires
usually don't have ISO numbers.
Old June 4th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Twitchell wrote:

In article , Tom Kunich says...

"Twitchell" wrote in message
In article , Werehatrack
says...

Would I be safe in ordering:

Cheng Shin C1027 Raised Center Tire 26 x 1.95" Wire Bead BSW

http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-C10...532851&sr=1-64

Do inner tubes come in sizes like tires or is it one size fits all? I
should
get a couple of them for the tires. I'm going to buy two tires.

Unless you are riding your bike off-road in rather heavy terrain I would
suggest you use a 26 x 1.25" such as
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...to%2026x1%2E75

Sheesh...that's almost BALD. Prolly good for you and your rides but I do want
some tread. It seems like a good idea to have matching sizes, front and rear
which is why I want 1.75 or 1.95 I like the tube though.

On pavement: bald-good; pattern-bad.
Even on mild off road stuff such as packed gravel or dirt bald is no impediment.

--
Michael Press