Cars to be slower than bicycles in 2029

Old March 25th 18, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Cars to be slower than bicycles in 2029

On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 8:17:08 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

It has shut down until next week.
When it starts up, I will get a call.

I hope that you get the call.

I have a very expensive conductivity meter in my car all ready. The last bloke was also retired but his new gaffers wanted him to go full time from 4 to 5 days and so the one day he did for Watercare had to be binned, so I stepped in.
Old March 25th 18, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 11:23:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 4:56:38 PM UTC, Peter Parry wrote:

Somewhat unlikely as the comparator used was a self reporting group of
MAMILS and Tour de Peckham angry young yobs in rainbow sunglasses who
put their journey times on Strava so they can be king of the small
piece of rising ground just outside Euston. Apparently they achieved
a speed of just over 16MPH. A more realistic speed for utility
cyclists is 9MPH.

I used to fall off at 9mph!
My average was about 16-18mph.

Yes - but you were the archetypal MAMIL, rainbow hued sunglasses with
built in compocam, lurid Lycra, gloves with no fingers. The group
that bears no relationship to utility cyclists. Unfortunately they
also (and have for a century) have purporting to represent cycling in
the UK. They fought against dedicated cycle lanes, fitting lights on
bikes and promoted the daft idea of "vehicular cycling". More than
any other group they are directly responsible for the decline of
utility cycling in the UK. Holland is often used as the ideal for
cyclists yet amongst the thousands going to work each day a tiny
proportion are dressed like traffic cones for Christmas. UK, you need
the sunglasses to hide glare from lurid Lycra.
Old March 26th 18, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 24/03/18 16:56, Peter Parry wrote:
On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 14:09:29 +0000, JNugent
wrote:

On 24/03/2018 09:56, wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-10-years.html

They already are!

QUOTE:
If the current trend of declining average speeds continue, bicycles will
travel faster than cars across our towns and cities by 2027, the Daily
Telegraph reported.
ENDQUOTE

Somewhat unlikely as the comparator used was a self reporting group of
MAMILS and Tour de Peckham angry young yobs in rainbow sunglasses who
put their journey times on Strava so they can be king of the small
piece of rising ground just outside Euston. Apparently they achieved
a speed of just over 16MPH. A more realistic speed for utility
cyclists is 9MPH.

Some Strava input would obviously be from towns and cities but no doubt
the Strava "average" is made up of all rides and gets pushed up by
Sunday rides outside built up areas.

The usual poor comparison made by journalists in response to the figure
for speed on "urban A-roads" mentioned by the DfT.
Old March 27th 18, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 16:56:31 GMT, Peter Parry wrote:

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 14:09:29 +0000, JNugent
wrote:

On 24/03/2018 09:56, wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...itain-slower-B
ICYCLES-10-years.html

They already are!

QUOTE:
If the current trend of declining average speeds continue, bicycles
will travel faster than cars across our towns and cities by 2027, the
Daily Telegraph reported.
ENDQUOTE

Somewhat unlikely as the comparator used was a self reporting group of
MAMILS and Tour de Peckham angry young yobs in rainbow sunglasses who
put their journey times on Strava so they can be king of the small
piece of rising ground just outside Euston. Apparently they achieved
a speed of just over 16MPH. A more realistic speed for utility
cyclists is 9MPH.

Welcome Mr Parry to our fun-infested NG!

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old April 28th 18, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sunday, March 25, 2018 at 9:55:16 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 8:17:08 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

It has shut down until next week.
When it starts up, I will get a call.

I hope that you get the call.

I have a very expensive conductivity meter in my car all ready. The last bloke was also retired but his new gaffers wanted him to go full time from 4 to 5 days and so the one day he did for Watercare had to be binned, so I stepped in.

I just got paid £77 for the 4 hours work that I did on 15MAR18 - but the training was so bad that I chucked the job in even though they wanted me to become a mobile analyst.