Minimal Gear for solo riding.....?

Old August 19th 03, 11:24 PM
Doesnotcompute

Default Minimal Gear for solo riding.....?

Why is it whenever I pack a bag for a days riding, I seem to end up with
a full bag? I reckon I must take loads of stuff I needn't, but can't
think what.

So what are your absolute essentials for a days solo ride?

Mine goes something like this:

Small rolled waterproof jacket
Mini pump
1 Tube
1 Puncture kit
Alien multi tool
D lock and flexi cable if needed
wallet and change
mobile phone
platypus
first aid stuff
pen
compass
map
spare pair of socks
empty carrier bag
food
Digicam

Change of clothers if applicable.

that's all I can think of and already my shoulders are concerned!

--
Dnc

Old August 19th 03, 11:47 PM
Tony Raven

In ,
Doesnotcompute typed:

spare pair of socks

???

Never once in all my cycling have I considered stopping to change socks.

Tony

--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."
Mark Twain

Old August 20th 03, 12:08 AM
Adrian Boliston

"Doesnotcompute" wrote in message

So what are your absolute essentials for a days solo ride?

Change for a few beers at lunch time?

Old August 20th 03, 12:32 AM
Alex Graham

Doesnotcompute wrote:
[...]

Nah - 1 or 2 tubes, mobile, money in a seatpack. Bottles in the cages,
pump on frame and jersey pockets full of food!

--

-Alex

----------------------------------

http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php
http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
----------------------------------

Old August 20th 03, 07:54 AM
MSeries

Showerproof jacket, armwarmers, money & cards, mobile phone, map, food,
allen keys, spare tube, puncture repair kit, chain splitter, tyre
levers, spoke key

Old August 20th 03, 08:28 AM
Wainwright

Sort out the absolute minimum you need, place it on the floor in front of
you - then take half of it !
--
Drop Dead if you want to reply personally

Old August 20th 03, 08:39 AM
Pete Biggs

Doesnotcompute wrote:
Why is it whenever I pack a bag for a days riding, I seem to end up
with a full bag? I reckon I must take loads of stuff I needn't, but
can't think what.

So what are your absolute essentials for a days solo ride?

Mine goes something like this:

Here are my suggestions for what you could leave out or change:

Small rolled waterproof jacket

Won't need that most days

Mini pump
1 Tube
1 Puncture kit
Alien multi tool
Compass

Mini compass

D lock and flexi cable if needed

D lock is a big old weight to carry. A small cable lock will do for day
rides when you're not expecting to leave bike long or in any risky places,
and D lock could possibly be left at destination for commuting, etc.

Some small extra emergency items I carry:

- Park Tyre Boot - adhesive patch to fix a ripped tyre (not tube).
- Presta to Schaeder valve adaptor (with o-ring) so garage compressor can
be used if loose/break/forget pump.
- Extra long limit screw for rear derailleur in case cable fails.

/snip
that's all I can think of and already my shoulders are concerned!

How about putting more of the weight on the bike? Wedge bag? Saddle bag?
Rack? Seatpost rack? D lock on frame not in bag?

~PB

Old August 20th 03, 08:42 AM
Ian

Tony Raven must be edykated coz e writed:

In ,
Doesnotcompute typed:

spare pair of socks

???

Never once in all my cycling have I considered stopping to change socks.

Tony

I can better that, I don't wear socks!

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Old August 20th 03, 08:54 AM
Doesnotcompute

Pete Biggs wrote:

Here are my suggestions for what you could leave out or change:

Small rolled waterproof jacket

Won't need that most days

It's tiny and weightless - sno problem

D lock and flexi cable if needed

D lock is a big old weight to carry. A small cable lock will do for day
rides when you're not expecting to leave bike long or in any risky places,
and D lock could possibly be left at destination for commuting, etc.

True, however I'd rather take nothing than a crap lock - it's worth too
much to not use a decent lock. Also,with a Y shape frame, there's
nowhere really safe enough for a cable only.

Some small extra emergency items I carry:

- Park Tyre Boot - adhesive patch to fix a ripped tyre (not tube).
- Presta to Schaeder valve adaptor (with o-ring) so garage compressor can
be used if loose/break/forget pump.
- Extra long limit screw for rear derailleur in case cable fails.

All noted - ta.

How about putting more of the weight on the bike?
Wedge bag? Saddle bag?

Got a small saddle bag holding a tube, patch kit and Alien.

Rack? Seatpost rack? D lock on frame not in bag?

Again, with a Y shape frame, this all becomes slightly more difficult :/

Thanks for your input.

--
Dnc

Old August 20th 03, 08:58 AM
Toby Barrett

Doesnotcompute wrote in news:bhu82r$1r3$19@ID-
30778.news.uni-berlin.de:

platypus

In all my experience of cycling I've never seen the need for a small, furry
aquatic animal from Australia in my pannier.

All the other stuff seems reasonable if it's a long ride.

Toby

--
Remove spamtrap to reply by mail