SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

Old October 9th 18, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On 10/8/2018 8:27 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 16:55:59 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie

On 2018-10-08 16:05, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 11:06:53 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-10-07 17:08, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 15:02:19 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/6/2018 2:49 PM, Joerg wrote:

[...]

2. It causes oncoming motorists to see the cyclist much earlier and, for
example, if a big semi comes they can pull a bit to the right so the
semi can give the cyclist wide berth.

I do NOT believe any practical light allows a motorist to see a cyclist
_much_ earlier. In almost every case, I've seen on-road cyclists before
I noticed that they had a light. And in no case did I see the light
early enough to make any practical difference. You're fixating on a
superstitious talisman, imagining benefits that don't exist in real life.

I think I've mentioned seeing the bloke on a bike wearing bright
orange knee socks nearly a kilometer away :-) I remember the orange
socks but can't remember whether he had a light on his bike or not :-)

I wonder what the reaction would be if said bloke participated in a
business meeting wearing bright orange knee socks.

The subject was bicycle visibility, not business meetings....

To me a bicycle is not just a piece of sports equipment but foremost a
transport vehicle.

Wow, that's poignant. I've been commuting to school or work for 50 years and changing my clothes for the last 40. Even when I was a substitute teacher, I would ride to school with a backpack and change when I got there. There is always some place to change. I certainly wouldn't go to a client meeting in rain drenched or sweat drenched shirt -- or in shorts. Do you go to client meetings in t-shirts and shorts?

... but
having said that I might comment that it is not difficult to change
socks, even sitting on the roadside curb.

And change all the other things sitting on a curb in a business park? I
rather flick a little switch and have instant visibility. Upon arrival I
flick it again, visibility turns off. Simple.

Do you have a side light? I'd worry about that. Pull though an intersection and "whack." Where was your side light! You really should have a bright side light.

-- Jay Beattie.

There is also a great danger from large birds. One really should have
an upward shining helmet lamp. I'm a bit ambivalent about snakes, my
present thoughts that one is probably safe from snake bite in a
metropolitan neighborhood.

Heh. Two good friends of mine just completed a fairly short multi-day
bike trip in Pennsylvania. They saw lots of rattlesnake warning signs,
then finally did see a rattlesnake. So they rode around it.

I guess Joerg would have scorched it to death with his headlight.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 9th 18, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

Actually snakes can be a bit of a problem over here. I once saw a dead
snake that reached clear across a two lane road although I've never
seen a live one while cycling. But I did used to see them in remote
parts of the airfield when I worked in Air Field Lighting. Imaging
bombing down the road and meeting a 6 foot cobra :-)
--
Cheers

John B.
Old October 9th 18, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/8/2018 4:55 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip
Do you have a side light? I'd worry about that. Pull though an intersection and "whack." Where was your side light! You really should have a bright side light.

A lot of front and rear lights do have side lights but they're not very
bright.

What many cyclists are using are these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ANW2YB2 but they are sold out in most places.
Old October 9th 18, 01:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/8/2018 8:15 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/7/2018 8:36 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Pah-lease! No homicidal riff-raff was wearing my
super-fine, hi-viz, four-way stretch water resistant, race
fit Castelli Gabba jacket...

OT, but: The term "four-way stretch" has always irritated
me. The stuff is two dimensional! Are they claiming it also
stretches across its thickness? Plus there are only three
spatial dimensions. Are they going Einsteinian and claiming
the fourth direction is time?

So I looked it up. Turns out if it stretches from left to
right, they consider that "two-way stretch." Was that
supposed to be a big improvement on fabrics that stretched
if you pulled them to the right, but not if you pulled to
the left? No, it was clearly just one way - but they said
that since it returned to its original width when you let
go, it counted as two ways. If it does it up and down and
side to side, they count it as four ways. What nonsense!

I guess I should be glad rope manufacturers don't take this
up. "Our working strength is _twice_ as great as our
competitors! (Because our rope can withstand that force if
you pull up OR pull down!)"

Some friendly advice, Frank. Don't go into Marketing. Maybe
try something like Engineering maybe.

You're welcome.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 9th 18, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

I bike commuted for over 30 years (admittedly, not every day) wearing
the same business casual clothes I wore during the work day. I wasn't
super-fast, but the seven mile trip between home and the last job took
me less than half an hour, traffic lights and all. I took it easy on the
(downhill) way to work, and usually time trialed on the way home. My
clothes were sweaty when I got home, but they could go in the laundry.

I had a job in California a few miles from home and would wear my work pants, but I still had to put on a shirt and tie. I shined-up a lot of pants, by the way. I would not subject my nice wool pants to the abuse, and during the rainy season, forget it. I remember commuting to a job I had for a short time down near DeAnza college in SMS territory -- maybe a ten mile commute, and getting soaked and sitting around in wet work clothes. Miserable and embarrassing. I didn't have a car, and cycling wasn't elective.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 9th 18, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

He would be noticed earlier. Duh... :-)

Old October 9th 18, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 10:05:16 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 10/8/2018 4:55 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip
Do you have a side light? I'd worry about that. Pull though an intersection and "whack." Where was your side light! You really should have a bright side light.

A lot of front and rear lights do have side lights but they're not very
bright.

What many cyclists are using are these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ANW2YB2 but they are sold out in most places.

We're saved! I'm going to have to get a few -- and a new outlet strip for all my chargers. I've got the Garmin smart rear light with radar and camera, two front lights, side lights, front camera, MP3 player with speakers and for hot days, a fan.

It's funny because I see a lot of cyclists every day, and I haven't seen one of these side lights in real life. I guess we're just backwards up here in Ory-gun. I'm riding to work in the rain and drear again this morning with a mere L&M pulsing rear flasher and a pulsing front all-in-one bar light. If I were terrified and rich, I would get a Showers Pass Torch. https://www.showerspass.com/products...iABEgIB3fD_BwE

Hit those with lights and they explode. I was practically blinded by one. They also repel mountain lions and snakes.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 9th 18, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Well, that is how I've always seen bicycles. Over my lifetime about half
the cycling miles were not sports or fun-related. With good lighting I
can make myself very visible to traffic without being dressed like a
macaw parrot. Therefore, I can enjoy almost the same convenience as with
a car. I arrive, I lock the bike, grab whatever I have to carry from the
rack or panniers and I walk in. This is also one of the reasons why my
bikes were immediately equipped with racks and panniers when I got them.
No sweaty back from a backpack in summer.

Besides, most of this "functional clothing" is incompatible with my
body. Gives me rashes or a profuse sweat, neither of which being very
sightly at a client.

... I've been commuting to school or work for 50
years and changing my clothes for the last 40. Even when I was a
substitute teacher, I would ride to school with a backpack and change
when I got there. There is always some place to change.

Sure there is. However, as an engineer who does not work there as an
employee I find it a bit out of place to ask for a room to change. Also,
sometimes you walk in and end up right in the business. "Oh, let me
quickly introduce to Dr.So-and-so here" and then I don't want to stand
there in orange knee socks.

Heck, I even make sure I have enough water for the trip back on the bike
so I don't have to ask if I can refill in their cantina.

... I certainly
wouldn't go to a client meeting in rain drenched or sweat drenched
shirt -- or in shorts. Do you go to client meetings in t-shirts and
shorts?

Depends on which one and what the task at hand is. Like on the two
recent trips. One was with a dress shirt, a fairly new pair of
non-stoned-washed black jeans and nice black jogging shoes. This was to
test one of my designs together with their engineers, a situation where
there could also be witnesses from their customer. Another trip required
me to just pick up some stuff for testing in my lab. There I rode with
T-shirt, shorts and sandals, but all clean and no loud colors.

... but having said that I might comment that it is not difficult
to change socks, even sitting on the roadside curb.

And change all the other things sitting on a curb in a business
park? I rather flick a little switch and have instant visibility.
Upon arrival I flick it again, visibility turns off. Simple.

Do you have a side light? I'd worry about that. Pull though an
intersection and "whack." Where was your side light! You really
should have a bright side light.

The rear light does shine to the sides. Also, my parents taught me as a
kid not to blindly pull into intersections just because I have the right
of way. That has saved the bacon numerous times where people completely
missed a red light and blew through at high speed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 9th 18, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-08 17:22, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 16:16:43 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-10-08 16:05, John B. Slocomb wrote:

[...]

... but
having said that I might comment that it is not difficult to change
socks, even sitting on the roadside curb.

And change all the other things sitting on a curb in a business park? I
rather flick a little switch and have instant visibility. Upon arrival I
flick it again, visibility turns off. Simple.

As I said, I noticed the orange socks going up and down a kilometer
away on a bright summer day. I doubt strongly whether your super-duper
light would even be visible (in bright daylight) at that distance.

It sure is. I can say that for sure because this occasionally happens on
Green Valley Road when I have to use the car and another cyclist has
such good lighting. No orange socks. The riders with good lights are
often longhaul bike commuters. They wear nice shirts, khakis and have
panniers for their laptops and stuff.

Old October 9th 18, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

"Hey, Mr. Orange Socks, what's your opinion on the variance for the
wombombulator production unit?" :-)