dunlop

Old October 14th 11, 01:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Moike

Default dunlop

On 13/10/2011 12:24 PM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

(Not that I disagree with the general idea that cheap bikes are ridden
by cheap people.)

Oi! I resemble that remark.

I hold to the belief that an inexpensive bike, properly serviced and
maintained can give away very little to something costing hundreds more,
in terms of ridability and longevity.

Setting up a new cycle computer this morning ($17 Aldi special) I
noticed that the odometer on the old computer on my $80 GVBR blue bike
is showing 6321 ks. OK, I've added a $50 seat, and $80 tyres and a $50
set of levers, but it's still going strong, and will take me through the
Great Vic ride again this year.

I might take the orange ex-Aust-Post panniers off first....

BTW Since I don't ride at night much, I didn't bother with the $30
superbright rechargable LED headlight (with helmet and handlebar
fittings) on offer at Aldi.

Moike
Old October 14th 11, 02:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:07:24 +1100
Moike wrote:

BTW Since I don't ride at night much, I didn't bother with the $30

^^^^^
superbright rechargable LED headlight (with helmet and handlebar
fittings) on offer at Aldi.

People with cheap bikes don't use lights.... Wow, the study is right!

Zebee
Old October 14th 11, 09:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave Hughes

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:13:43 +1100, TimC wrote:

Hands up those who are surprised that cheap kmart "mountain bikes" are
ridden by fools who don't want to part with their $30 for a set of
lights?

Tell them about DX and they won't want to part with $3 for a set of
lights. My commuter has homebrew lights, but they're cheap and light
enough to leave on the bike for those times when I get caught out, and
bright enough to not particularly care. Li-Ion batteries are cheap and
easy enough to not worry too much as well.

insert reply from Zebee praising dyno lights here

--
Dave Hughes -
I still can't see a wasp without thinking "400K 1W"

Old October 14th 11, 08:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 14 Oct 2011 19:39:45 +1100
Dave Hughes wrote:
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:13:43 +1100, TimC wrote:

Hands up those who are surprised that cheap kmart "mountain bikes" are
ridden by fools who don't want to part with their $30 for a set of
lights?

Tell them about DX and they won't want to part with $3 for a set of
lights. My commuter has homebrew lights, but they're cheap and light
enough to leave on the bike for those times when I get caught out, and
bright enough to not particularly care. Li-Ion batteries are cheap and
easy enough to not worry too much as well.

insert reply from Zebee praising dyno lights here

I don't need to, you just did!

Zebee
Old October 24th 11, 02:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

On Oct 13, 1:07*pm, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Wed, 12 Oct 2011 18:33:58 -0700 (PDT)

thefathippy wrote:

And as for hub dynamos - bah! ;^P Give me my battery powered Ayup LED
lights any day ...err. night... (much more than $30, though).

My SON hub and IQ Fly give me the same as my friend's AYUP give him.
Except I don't have to remember to charge the battery.... *

The Shimamo on the Brom is powering a halogen light which is a bit
on the woeful side but is good enough for street commuting which is
what it does. *I will eventually get an LED for it, but not till the
bulb blows. *

I"m well over faffing about with batteries.

Zebee

hehe - I went with batteries (and making my own lightsets) after being
done faffing about with dynamos!

To be fair, it was a long time ago, and I'm sure they're better now,
but I was getting less light than a burnt match going uphills, and
blowing bulbs going downhills. I would have brilliant light for a
poofteenth of a second, then blackness. ;^)

Tony F
Old October 24th 11, 02:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 23 Oct 2011 18:20:33 -0700 (PDT)
thefathippy wrote:

hehe - I went with batteries (and making my own lightsets) after being
done faffing about with dynamos!

Bottle dynamos suck as far as I can tell, but modern hub dynos and LED
lights are brilliant.

I'm just way too lazy to bother with batteries. My lights are bolted
to the bike and Just Work.

I do have a secondary flasher and forgot to remove it the other day,
meaning it got nicked. Was most annoyed about that.

Zebee
Old October 24th 11, 02:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

thefathippy wrote:

hehe - I went with batteries (and making my own lightsets) after being
done faffing about with dynamos!

To be fair, it was a long time ago, and I'm sure they're better now,
but I was getting less light than a burnt match going uphills,

BTDT

and blowing bulbs going downhills.

Zener diodes.
Some of the better lights actually had them built in.
Old October 24th 11, 03:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:49:45 +1100
terryc wrote:
thefathippy wrote:

hehe - I went with batteries (and making my own lightsets) after being
done faffing about with dynamos!

To be fair, it was a long time ago, and I'm sure they're better now,
but I was getting less light than a burnt match going uphills,

BTDT

and blowing bulbs going downhills.

Zener diodes.
Some of the better lights actually had them built in.

Nowadays the dynamos have appropriate protection I believe. at least
the hub ones.

The SON on the 'bent gets full brightness at about walking speed and
showed no sign of blowing anything at 60kmh. I only got that fast
once with a halogen in, the LEDs of course don't care at all.

The Shimano on the Brom hasn't had to do more than about 20kmh, it's a
shopping trolley and station bike, who needs speed?

I pondered battery lights for it, and was using cheap ones, but got
sick of faffing about with them when folding. As a wheel with hub
dynamo built in, and a light seti (although halogen not LED), was
a bit over A$120 landed, I went for it. Still much more expensive
than AA/AAA battery lights, but in the realm of similarly bright
rechargeable packs.

Zebee
Old October 24th 11, 12:42 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC[_2_]

On 2011-10-24, terryc (aka Bruce)
thefathippy wrote:

hehe - I went with batteries (and making my own lightsets) after being
done faffing about with dynamos!

To be fair, it was a long time ago, and I'm sure they're better now,
but I was getting less light than a burnt match going uphills,

BTDT

and blowing bulbs going downhills.

Zener diodes.
Some of the better lights actually had them built in.

Which was what partly sucked about older dynamos. The reason they
sucked so much kinetic energy out of the system was because the faster
you went, the more the zener had to sink. Mind you, it eventually
blows too.

I'm sure the new ones would be switchmode current supplies.

--
TimC
Some of us here are sysadmins, and network admins, and even Windows
Old November 3rd 11, 09:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle

TimC wrote:
Hands up those who are surprised that cheap kmart "mountain bikes"

Bike snob!

BTH