PING Leo and Olarf

Old February 23rd 07, 08:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Blegas78

Default PING Leo and Olarf

It is under my impression that both of you guys, as well as others
created uniCoNNews and unicycle.tv, though I could be wrong. Because
you have the resources to create video podcasts, then why not convert
the videos on unicycle.tv and put them on a podcast? I know that I
would subscribe to this in a heart beat, as well many others I'm pretty
sure.

-Matt

--
Blegas78

Nothing is better than than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is
better than nothing, therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal
happiness.

"Rock Out Loud Yo!" -kid from Paper Bag Over the Head advertisement
Blegas78's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5293

Old February 24th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
olarf

Hi Matt,

first I want to thank you for your compliments!
You are right with that vodcast thing and we are thinking about that
since a few month. To add a third, podcast compatible format is planned
and will be done as the next step when gossi has finished the new
design of UTV. He do it in his private time and for sure he is for
several reasons late but it seems that he is now really close to make
it online. Then we can start implementing something like a podcast. I
take a look at ITunes and figured out that they have no user friendly
copyright rules. Even if you buy music over ITunes you don't got the
full rights to use it like you got when you buy a CD. Also a lot of
musicians are actually start to fight against IPOD and Sony cause the
musicians got nothing from the earned money and Apple and Sony get all

But that’s independent from the generally way to use podcast
technology.
I think that in the first step we will provide RSS feed and start
offering the videos in 3 formats. If you are familiar with that
technology and have some free time, feel free to become a member of or
team and implement those vodcast stuff completely.
AT least there was a podcast when we start utv but they seemed to stop
their service!? There is also that uni vodpod but I try it sometimes
and it don’t work well and at least I think one place is enough to
collect videos
So over the next weeks, the following features should run at the utv
page:

- multi language support
- RSS feed
- third format for vodcast
- voting option

People who are interested in developing new features should contact us.
There is an existing developer Wiki to become familiar with the
upcoming technology. Thzere are so many needed / wanted features to
implement.

--
olarf

visit 'unicycle.tv' (http://www.unicycle.tv)
olarf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10588

Old February 24th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gossi

hey matt,

the podcast thing sounds interessting. Well as olaf said, we are in the
last step to publish the new version of unicycle.tv. And hey, I tell
you, I'm really really happy, when this baby is finally born haha.
Prepare on a deep impact of a fresh unicycle.tv!

Ride On
gossi

--
gossi

www.einradfahren.de
gossi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3464

Old February 24th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
KlownLife

What is going to be new about Unicycle.tv, do tell.

Jason

--
KlownLife

One hop is a gift, two hops...now you're just taking the ****!

unifreak7 wrote:
To me believing in yourself not only helps if your going really big. If
there's no fear, (tech stuff), it doesn't really matter, It's just what
the body does.

-Shaun Johanneson

KlownLife's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5196

Old February 25th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Blegas78

olarf wrote:
People who are interested in developing new features should contact us.
There is an existing developer Wiki to become familiar with the
upcoming technology. Thzere are so many needed / wanted features to
implement.

What is the developer Wiki? Do you have a link to a website about it?

Also, what features do you want?

-Matt

Old March 1st 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
olarf

I think independent from a new design, the most was invested in new
technologie to make a plattform that makes it possible to implement
several features like multi language support and voting and comments
and good search filters and better sorting of channels and RSS feed and

@Blegas78: me or gossi will prepare an Email with more detailed
Informations soon.

Old March 2nd 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
leo

Blegas78 wrote:
why not convert the videos on unicycle.tv and put them on a podcast?

Thanks for your compliments. Your wish was mine ever since I first ever
saw unicycle.tv.

Broadcasting independent media is so cool! I totaly understand the
Podfather's (ex-Mtv and PodShow CEO Adam Curry) enthousiasm. Together
with (another visionair) Dave Winer they gaved it a spin in the right
direction (and prevented that it resulted in just
internet-piracy-radio/tv-station's).
I don't have a TV nor Radio for 6 or 7 years now. And I recently
discovered I hardly ever listen to radio-streams anymore, but only
podcasts and vodcasts. I still wish I'd be a executive-producer for
commercial podcasts for internal and external corporate communication,
but I like unicycling better.

The uniconnews was easy to publish as we were in full control of the
editing.
And so I could publish in the iPod friendly M4V format (by then very
new) AND refer to FLV url's in the RSS.
I'd enjoyed coding the stuff (I think in november 2005) as there hardly
were examples, as the techniques were by then brand new (and there were
hardly any vodcasts).

Reason I did'nt contribute those pieces of code to unicycle.tv yet, is
that we didn't knew how to convert WMV to FLV (and most submission are
in WMV). By now I do, so I might copy those db driven php scripts (that
generates the xml) to the unicycle.tv server.
I'd like to set that up (with a userfriendly interface for Olaf).
However (as usual) I'm short in time, so please have some patience.

olarf wrote:
I think that in the first step we will provide RSS feed and start
offering the videos in 3 formats.

m4v, flv... and wmv?
Having in the RSS a
linkhttp://dom.tld/dir/file.ext?entry=serial/link to a page with
links to pages that have the flv and wmv version embedded? And having
the m4v in the encloser-url?

--
leo

Leo Vandewoestijne
+1 866-UNI-CYCL
*| 'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/) | 'unicyclist.org'
(http://www.unicyclist.org/) | 'uniconnews.com'
(http://www.uniconnews.com/) |*
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

Old March 2nd 07, 09:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Blegas78

It almost sounds as if you guys might be a little bit worried about the
the ideas of publishing other people's work, even though I'm sure
everyone that gives you their videos wouldn't mind having their work on
a podcast. Is it possible to make a disclaimer that you will upload
their videos as a podcast, thus nullifying any legal issues? Is this
even really a big problem, or am I just assuming so?

I look forward to the new advancements you guys are implementing, and
again, great job with everthing!

-Matt

Old March 2nd 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gossi

uh well, the copyright of the video still resides on the videos owner.
Well, as olaf said, we changed the technology to modern standards.
Internally XML-Documents are pushed around and put togehter to one.
This makes a huge problem with the available servers and pushes back
the release some months. Though the output will be driven by XSLT and
therefore we are able to publish to any xml-alike format, as we just
have to register the new format. At first XHTML is available but with
less effort we will shortly provide different feeds.
The formats for videos in the new version are flv (as it's best for
showing a video on websites), mov and wmv.
So, the podcast thing sounds interessting and we are looking forward. I
would imagine this story is also based on xml, so we could easily
deliver those things in the future.

As for now, we focus on the release of the new website, well I hope
this won't take to long anymore...

Oh before I forget - get new sunglasses anyway you get blinded by the
new version, you better all prepare!

Ride On
gossi

--
gossi

www.einradfahren.de
gossi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3464

**Ping Shaun Johanneson Ping* Macht Nada Video? trials_uni Unicycling 16 May 10th 06 02:02 PM
***ping----ntappin----ping*** trials_uni Unicycling 10 March 21st 06 01:32 AM
****Ping GILD Ping****** redhead Unicycling 2 February 23rd 06 12:13 AM
PING: Guy wafflycat UK 24 May 31st 05 06:09 PM
Ping: JD SuperClydesdale Mountain Biking 5 June 18th 04 07:34 PM