"Mountain bikers powered by self-indulgent bull****"

Old March 18th 07, 04:59 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default "Mountain bikers powered by self-indulgent bull****"

Mountain bikers powered by self-indulgent bull****
Letters
http://www.straight.com/article-7493...lgent-bull****
Publish Date: March 15, 2007

"Mountain bikers flex their political muscles" [March 8-15].

And now for the other side of the story. I was born locally and have
lived in North Vancouver since 1981. Lynn Valley was my home from 1981
until 2002, so I am very familiar with mountain-biking issues on the
North Shore. Bike-riding has been one of my recreational activities
since I got my first bike at the age of four.

What is most disconcerting about the mountain-biking issue on the
North Shore is the hypocritical and self-righteous attitudes of
mountain bikers. They profess to lead healthy lifestyles and to be
environmentally aware. Bull****! The experience on the North Shore has
been the opposite.

The North Shore mountains are a semiwilderness area that has been
assaulted by trail-building and destructive biking activity. In spite
of a few responsible individuals, mountain bikers are mostly a bunch
of rebels who relish breaking the rules as well as new trails. The
damage to the North Shore mountain-plant life has been extensive.
Residents living near the top of Mountain Highway know full well the
wrath of reckless mountain bikers who urinate in private yards and by
the roadside. This activity continues to this day. Furthermore,
vehicle drivers have to dodge these arrogant individuals on the roads.
Regardless of what happens at the base of the trails, what makes the
mountain bikers think that they have a right to assault the forest to
begin with? Yes, it is controlled by the GVRD, but that does not mean
that everyone has the right to travel wherever they like without
regard to the damage done to the environment. Why do they think that
they have a right to build trails, and bridges over streams?

The modern environmental movement believes in protecting natural
areas, not opening them up to thousands of visitors every weekend.
Like most special-interest groups these days, mountain bikers are
pretending to be environmentalists in order to engage in their
self-indulgent lifestyle.

One last point. I almost gagged when I read the outrageous statistic
alleging that the mountain-biking "industry is worth $25 million to
$30 million to the North Shore economy". More bull****! Is that
because they buy gas here so they can drive their gas-guzzling SUVs to
the top of Mountain Highway? What an environmentally friendly use of
money....not!

Adrian Lipsey / North Vancouver
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old March 18th 07, 07:37 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Slack

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 08:59:58 -0700, Mike Vandeman
wrote:

Mountain bikers powered by self-indulgent bull****
Letters
http://www.straight.com/article-......****

LOL

http://www.straight.com/classifieds/Adult

Were you looking for a male escort, Mikey.... you naughty little boy
--
Slack