RR work and fun

Old February 14th 05, 04:54 AM
small change

Default RR work and fun

Today I went over to Canfield mountain with my new club co-president for a
"tour" and some unofficial activity. We hooked up with our Idaho liaison,
and we headed out early for a climb to the top of Canfield mountain. The
idea was to show us around: I've been there twice before on hit-and-miss
explorations. We left early to try and beat the mud, hit the trails while
they were still frozen. A four mile climb to the top brought us out he

http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/pen...field1sm-w.jpg

then lots and lots of trails. This area is shared with dirt bikes, so the
trails are a little mixed in surface quality but it's great to be out, and I
love to see new places. The trails are interesting texture... we started
early enough that the surface is crunchy with ice crystals and crusty frozen
mud. Rutted too, sharing the trail with really big tires makes for
interesting riding to say the least. It's a little slow going for me, I
haven't been out a lot and the trail conditions are different enough that I
take my time. I'm "pokey" today, but the rest of the gang are racers so they
need someone to keep them real. :-)

As we hit the return end of the loop... mud. And more mud. Greasy sticky
heavy mud. Ride loose mud. Mud that fills up your bottom bracket so that the
deraillers don't work mud. Mud that make your wheels stop if you go too
slow. I've never ridden anything like it so might as well enjoy the slide,
er ride.

http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/pen...c-fieldmud.jpg

That bike must have weighed 10 pounds more than usual by the time we got
down the hill. I've certainly picked the right guys to ride with, there were
latte's and muffins waiting for us, for part 2.

Then we all change our of our goopy gear for part two of the day, which is
installing anti-ATV barriers on two of the trails. These trails are for dirt
bikes and bikes only, no quads but those guys will try and go anywhere
Hopefully these "turkey chutes" will help:

http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/pen...s/c-field2.jpg
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/pen...s/c-field3.jpg
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/pen...s/c-field4.jpg

penny

Old February 14th 05, 01:01 PM
TJ

http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/pen...s/c-field4.jpg

penny

Those blocks don't look near big enough. They could have been a few
hundred pounds heavier. You guys made it look too easy.

TJ

Old February 14th 05, 01:59 PM
AndyC

"small change" wrote in message
[...]

Cotswold mud...

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/phot...w&image=397682

Note, this was after 6 miles of road riding to get home, so a lot had fallen
off.
And, yes, I was as unfit as I looked!

AndyC

Old February 14th 05, 05:00 PM
Dave

small change wrote:
Today I went over to Canfield mountain with my new club co-president for a
"tour" and some unofficial activity. We hooked up with our Idaho liaison,
and we headed out early for a climb to the top of Canfield mountain. The
idea was to show us around: I've been there twice before on hit-and-miss
explorations. We left early to try and beat the mud, hit the trails while
they were still frozen. A four mile climb to the top brought us out he

http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/pen...field1sm-w.jpg

Dude, awesome shot! Did you snap that with a digital? I like the way
it has all the blue hues strong giving a sense of the cold. If you
would have popped it with the "overcast" or similar setting activated it
would have warmed everything up killing the blue hues and making
everything seem more temperate. Good job.

Peace.

--
David R Marlborough
DJ Mackelicious
Old February 14th 05, 05:04 PM
Ride-A-Lot

Dave wrote:
small change wrote:

[...]

Uh, she's a dudette.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old February 14th 05, 05:07 PM
small change

http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/pen...field1sm-w.jpg

Dude, awesome shot! Did you snap that with a digital? I like the way
it has all the blue hues strong giving a sense of the cold. If you
would have popped it with the "overcast" or similar setting activated
it would have warmed everything up killing the blue hues and making
everything seem more temperate. Good job.

Peace.

(dudette)
Canon A70, landscape mode. I forgot the flash so the foreground was really
dark. I did a lot of tweaking in PS to get it to look decent. It was cold,
below 40 F

penny

pennt

Old February 14th 05, 06:05 PM
Dave

small change wrote:
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/pen...field1sm-w.jpg

Dude, awesome shot! Did you snap that with a digital? I like the way
it has all the blue hues strong giving a sense of the cold. If you
would have popped it with the "overcast" or similar setting activated
it would have warmed everything up killing the blue hues and making
everything seem more temperate. Good job.

Peace.

(dudette)
Canon A70, landscape mode. I forgot the flash so the foreground was really
dark. I did a lot of tweaking in PS to get it to look decent. It was cold,
below 40 F

penny

pennt

So sorry, sweet heart! No disrespect intended. Its cool you did a good
job in PS. Sometimes less is more especially when you use the filtering
tools in PS to correct blue hue washes and **** like that. All to often
when you tweak a shot in PS or screw with some advanced settings in
Canon or Nikon you basically turn what is supposed to be blue and cold
into a warm and sunny beach scene. I like the shot!

Peace.

Old February 14th 05, 10:47 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

Per small change:
These trails are for dirt
bikes and bikes only, no quads but those guys will try and go anywhere
Hopefully these "turkey chutes" will help:

What's the diff between motorbikes and quads trail-wise?

Seems like quads would cut a wider track, but tear up the ground less....
--
PeteCresswell
Old February 14th 05, 10:53 PM
Ride-A-Lot

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
Per small change:

These trails are for dirt
bikes and bikes only, no quads but those guys will try and go anywhere
Hopefully these "turkey chutes" will help:

What's the diff between motorbikes and quads trail-wise?

Seems like quads would cut a wider track, but tear up the ground less....

Actually, in the Pine Barrens both are equally devistating. The enduro
guys have basically destroyed the Mount Misery trail in Brendan Byrne
State Forest. A trail they are not even supposed to be near. What used
to be rideable is now a sandy bottomless pit.

In Kings Grant (my local trail), the quads were the original trail
cutter. So now you have two deep ruts that make the trail.
Fortunately, the police have kept them away and with some work we are
filling in one track.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old February 14th 05, 11:00 PM
small change

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
Per small change:
These trails are for dirt
bikes and bikes only, no quads but those guys will try and go
anywhere Hopefully these "turkey chutes" will help:

What's the diff between motorbikes and quads trail-wise?

Seems like quads would cut a wider track, but tear up the ground
less....

First of all the area in question is open to all three, in different parts,
and nothing will change that. Second dirt bikes and mountain bikes use
about the same widith trail. A quad hittting single track will widen it in
no time flat to 40+ inches. No comment on tearing up the ground, like I
said this area is multi use and that is not going to change. But the stupid
quads think they own everything, I've seen so much singles track turned into
fricken roads by them going where they shouldn't. In this area, they are
supposed to stay on the jeep roads and not go on the trails at all.

Penny