A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Weights of my bikes



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #161  
Old May 22nd 21, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,196
Default Weights of my bikes

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 11:13:33 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 5/22/2021 10:02 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:

snip
In North America, the hard part is finding access to hot and cold water
lines and a drain for the washer, and the 240 V, 40 A outlet, and a
discharge vent for the dryer. The actual space is less of an issue.

30A outlet actually. A dryer takes 25-26A at 240V. In many areas of the
country, with piped-in natural gas, gas dryers are the norm since gas
costs less than electricity, though the gas dryers are typically $100
more expensive.

I don't know if any washers sold in the U.S. heat the water, while in
Europe that's the norm.

Well, it's pretty clear that YOU don't pay the bills. My winter PG&E bill is $200+ of which electricity is $20
Ads
  #162  
Old May 23rd 21, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,697
Default Weights of my bikes

On Sat, 22 May 2021 01:41:29 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 9:36:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
So it is your opinion that 9.8 m/s^2 is not the acceleration of gravity? Sorry, you missed another great chance and instead simply looked like John with his copying and pasting Google because he doesn't know anything himself.


Gosh Tom, I feel neglected and unappreciated now. Mentioning John but not me. I use Google to demonstrate your failures. But my use of Google to demonstrate your fallacy does not demonstrate my lack of knowledge. I use Google to find facts. Facts such as the rate of inflation or GDP or stock market values for the Dow, Nasdaq, S&P over the past 20-50 years. Simple FACTS that no one could be expected to remember in detail. But FACTS that can be looked up and used to refute your myriad of falsehoods. Facts that can be used in logical reasoning to refute your lies. Google is good.


As an aside, every engineer I've met had a cache of reference books.
Of course that is old style engineering and probably today they just
have access to a web site but guys building bridges don't try to
remember it all :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

  #163  
Old May 23rd 21, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,697
Default Weights of my bikes

On Sat, 22 May 2021 02:32:04 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 6:50:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 4:19:57 PM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
On 18/05/2021 00:37, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 17 May 2021 19:53:11 +0100, Ade
wrote:

On 17/05/2021 18:39, Tom Kunich wrote:
Colnago CLX3.0 bare - 15.8 lbs Lemond Zurich bare - 20.3 lbs
Douglas Vector with seatpack. - 17.4 Douglas Ti with water bottle
and seat pack. - 20.3 lbs. Eddy Merckx with bottle half full and
heavy seatpack - 20.8

My 2018 Trek Emonda bare was 17.5 lbs.

As you can see, aluminum bikes do not necessary have a weight
penalty. Nor are titanium bikes particularly light.

I would say that since about 2001 that most decent bikes couldn't
be declared as "heavy". The complete Look KG585 which was a light
climbing bike was 16 lbs even bare.


Making bikes light is one thing, making them last is another.

My last allow bike was a Specialised Allez. The frame was light
enough, about 1.5KG (3 lbs in old speak). I weighed it when I
stripped it for return, it had cracked due to fatigue. It was a
thing of beauty, much nicer than the horrid oversized carbon frame
they replaced it with.

My previous alloy Trek failed at about the same distance, ~10,000
miles.

I thought the benefit of titanium was that like steel it had a
fatigue limit, meaning it wouldn't inevitably eventually fatigue
like aluminium. I know aluminium bikes can be made so the fatigue
failure takes a long time, but I suspect this adds weight. So I
bought a cheap heavy gravel type bike, it is real heavy, but
surprisingly fun to ride.

Given that the CDC reports that 70.2% of U.S. adults are overweight
or obese the frantic search for a lighter bicycle seems rather
futile.
https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-inf...ity#definition

Not really, it's easier to push up a hill :-)

John is probably so overweight that he can't get up from the sofa without a lift.

Overweight is NOT a measurement. You can be overweight with just 5 lbs above your ideal weight for your body type. I am 6'4" and have a slender body type and I have an ideal weight of 180 lbs. So my 190 lbs. puts me overweight even though a "normal" body type has an ideal body weight of 185-190.

Gross Obesity is and it is only 1 in 7 Americans and most of those are Hispanics.


https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html
Above link lists rates of obesity in the USA. Strangely the article is dated Feb 2021 but is using 2017-18 for its data. Not sure why its using data that is three years old now.

"most of those are Hispanics." Tom, are you trying to cozy up to Trump by explicitly insulting Hispanics? He is known for that lovable trait.

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/adult/defining.html
In the above link "obesity" is split into three categories. If your Body Mass Index is 40 or above you are in the "severe" category. I guess we can equate Gross Obesity to Severe Obesity. At your 76 inch height, you would need to be 328 pounds to qualify as 40 BMI.

Following is from the first link above.
"Non-Hispanic Black adults (49.6%) had the highest age-adjusted prevalence of obesity, followed by Hispanic adults (44.8%), non-Hispanic White adults (42.2%) and non-Hispanic Asian adults (17.4%)."

Following quote below is also from the first link above. If "severe obesity" was 9.2% in 2017-18. Then your statement of "Gross Obesity is and it is only 1 in 7 Americans and most of those are Hispanics." would imply 1 in 7 is 14.3% and that is 5% higher than reality. But that is a fact and must be thrown away because its the truth. 18% of USA population is Hispanic. 1 in 5 roughly. "most of those are Hispanics" means at least 50% of the severe obesity is from Hispanics. So they account for 7.15% of the total. They are only 18% of the population, so if we divide your 7.15% by 18%, we get 39.72% of the total USA Hispanic population must be severely obese, BMI of 40. You are overestimating and exaggerating on many different numbers. Please try to get some of the facts correct before making your outlandish comments.
"From 19992000 through 20172018, the prevalence of obesity increased from 30.5% to 42.4%, and the prevalence of severe obesity increased from 4.7% to 9.2%."

Of course BMI is not a great scale for determining obesity or evaluating weight healthiness. A short, stocky, muscular man could easily be considered obese if only using BMI.


Years ago the U.S. Air Force got on a health kick and we all had to
get weighed and fat guys had to lose weight. At the base I was one of
the guys was a semi professional boxer and when they weighed him he
was, according to their chart, over weight. He told the medics that if
any one of them would get in the ring and go five rounds with him then
he would lose weight. After some discussion they made a special
allowance for him :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

  #164  
Old May 23rd 21, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,697
Default Weights of my bikes

On Sat, 22 May 2021 06:37:38 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 9:52:48 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 21 May 2021 16:41:29 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 12:40:27 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/21/2021 10:36 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 6:30:39 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/20/2021 3:57 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 9:36:15 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/20/2021 11:33 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:


Acceleration of gravity is 8 m/2^2 ...
No.

You just love it when I make a typo. That gives you the chance to pretend that I'm wrong.

Didn't you mean TWO "typos"? ;-)

So it is your opinion that 9.8 m/s^2 is not the acceleration of gravity?
If anyone can explain Tom's blather to me, please do. What he wrote
above makes absolutely no sense.


--
- Frank Krygowski

I am not surprised you don't understand simple physics, https://www.physicsclassroom.com/cla...ion-of-Gravity

OOOh Tommy, you googled it! and here you were bad mouthing Frank and I
for googling. And now you are doing the same thing.

the pot and the kettle?


This is exactly the sort of thing I am commenting on. You are so stupid you cannot tell the difference from you acting as if you were there and did that because you googled something and giving a reference to Frank because he believes he knows something that is entirely wrong.


Nope Tommy, I don't tell lies like you do, why bother, if I was there
and did it, it is no sin to tell about it.

It is when you make up stories in an attempt to prove that you are
some sort of hero that people laugh at you.

And then, while they are laughing at you scurry around and change the
subject or spout ridiculous insults in an attempt to prove that you
really are a hero... which simply reinforces your image as a fool.
--
Cheers,

John B.

  #165  
Old May 23rd 21, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,511
Default Weights of my bikes

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 8:35:46 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 22 May 2021 01:41:29 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 9:36:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
So it is your opinion that 9.8 m/s^2 is not the acceleration of gravity? Sorry, you missed another great chance and instead simply looked like John with his copying and pasting Google because he doesn't know anything himself.


Gosh Tom, I feel neglected and unappreciated now. Mentioning John but not me. I use Google to demonstrate your failures. But my use of Google to demonstrate your fallacy does not demonstrate my lack of knowledge. I use Google to find facts. Facts such as the rate of inflation or GDP or stock market values for the Dow, Nasdaq, S&P over the past 20-50 years. Simple FACTS that no one could be expected to remember in detail. But FACTS that can be looked up and used to refute your myriad of falsehoods. Facts that can be used in logical reasoning to refute your lies. Google is good.

As an aside, every engineer I've met had a cache of reference books.
Of course that is old style engineering and probably today they just
have access to a web site but guys building bridges don't try to
remember it all :-)


When I took the test for the Professional Engineering license, we were allowed to bring in any
references we wanted. Most of the hundreds taking the test brought in maybe half a dozen references, but I saw a few guys who wheeled in triple shelves of books.

BTW, almost all the exams I gave to my students were open book.

- Frank Krygowski
  #166  
Old May 23rd 21, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,196
Default Weights of my bikes

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 7:49:13 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 8:35:46 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 22 May 2021 01:41:29 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 9:36:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
So it is your opinion that 9.8 m/s^2 is not the acceleration of gravity? Sorry, you missed another great chance and instead simply looked like John with his copying and pasting Google because he doesn't know anything himself.

Gosh Tom, I feel neglected and unappreciated now. Mentioning John but not me. I use Google to demonstrate your failures. But my use of Google to demonstrate your fallacy does not demonstrate my lack of knowledge. I use Google to find facts. Facts such as the rate of inflation or GDP or stock market values for the Dow, Nasdaq, S&P over the past 20-50 years. Simple FACTS that no one could be expected to remember in detail. But FACTS that can be looked up and used to refute your myriad of falsehoods. Facts that can be used in logical reasoning to refute your lies. Google is good.

As an aside, every engineer I've met had a cache of reference books.
Of course that is old style engineering and probably today they just
have access to a web site but guys building bridges don't try to
remember it all :-)

When I took the test for the Professional Engineering license, we were allowed to bring in any
references we wanted. Most of the hundreds taking the test brought in maybe half a dozen references, but I saw a few guys who wheeled in triple shelves of books.

BTW, almost all the exams I gave to my students were open book.


Well, of course, because engineering isn't memorizing but knowing where to look for what.
  #167  
Old May 23rd 21, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,018
Default Weights of my bikes

On Sun, 23 May 2021 08:32:04 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 7:49:13 PM UTC-7, wrote:
BTW, almost all the exams I gave to my students were open book.


Well, of course, because engineering isn't memorizing but knowing where to look for what.


Sorta. Engineering is knowing how things work and making those things
do something useful. You can't look that up in a book. Just knowing
the answer or in which book or web page to look, is insufficient. Some
problems require looking far more than one book.

Richard Feynman had that problem when he taught physics in Brazil. The
students were very good at memorization, but did badly at
understanding how things worked. See section on Brewster's Law:
"THE PROBLEM OF TEACHING PHYSICS IN LATIN AMERICA"
http://calteches.library.caltech.edu/46/2/LatinAmerica.htm

Going back 50 years to college, I seem to recall that open book exams
were much more difficult because the instructor could ask questions
that required knowing what information was needed to solve a problem.
In desperation, one could dig that out of a book, but then one would
never be able to finish the exam in time. In some cases, it was
easier and quicker to derive the necessary equations from first
principles than to find them buried somewhere in a book or in class
notes.


--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  #168  
Old May 25th 21, 04:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,638
Default Weights of my bikes

On Sat, 22 May 2021 02:28:05 -0700 (PDT), Lou Holtman
wrote:

In tourist locations like hostel, B&B holiday apartments etc. they often offer the use of a washing machine and a dryer. In hotels they have a washing service. In a family household however a washing machine and a dryer is considered a necessity of life. I can't imagine a family household with a couple of kids using a laundromat. If a washing machine breaks there is a panic and it has to be repaired or replaced within a couple of days otherwise the whole system breaks down. We have dry cleaners though but laundromats nah.


If you have a couple of kids, that's when you need a laundromat. Fill
up a half dozen or so machines, go back to the first one and put it
into the dryer, when all are in dryers, start folding the first load,
all done and dusted in two or three hours.

As opposed to the entire day I intend to spend on washing clothes for
two people for one week strikethe day after tomorrow/striketoday.
And strikeI'll/strike have strikea lot of the/strike folding
to do strikeon the day aftertomorrow.

I didn't buy my own machine until the water heater at the laundromat
broke down and the owner declined to have it repaired. When you put
your dish towels into a washer last used by heaven knows who to wash
heaven knows what, cold water just doesn't cut it.

We should have brought that thirty-year-old Maytag with us when we
moved. My current smart-alec washing machine refuses to allow me to
use hot water. For a while I tried to fool it by shutting off the
cold water, but the timing is tricky because it checks that cold water
is available before starting to fill, and the valves are really hard
to get at.

The old wringer washer provided in the trailer park where we spent
winters after Dad retired is starting to look pretty good.

They are still being made, but the price is higher than a kite's back,
and I have my suspicions about the quality.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

  #169  
Old May 25th 21, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,697
Default Weights of my bikes

On Mon, 24 May 2021 23:30:38 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Sat, 22 May 2021 02:28:05 -0700 (PDT), Lou Holtman
wrote:

In tourist locations like hostel, B&B holiday apartments etc. they often offer the use of a washing machine and a dryer. In hotels they have a washing service. In a family household however a washing machine and a dryer is considered a necessity of life. I can't imagine a family household with a couple of kids using a laundromat. If a washing machine breaks there is a panic and it has to be repaired or replaced within a couple of days otherwise the whole system breaks down. We have dry cleaners though but laundromats nah.


If you have a couple of kids, that's when you need a laundromat. Fill
up a half dozen or so machines, go back to the first one and put it
into the dryer, when all are in dryers, start folding the first load,
all done and dusted in two or three hours.

As opposed to the entire day I intend to spend on washing clothes for
two people for one week strikethe day after tomorrow/striketoday.
And strikeI'll/strike have strikea lot of the/strike folding
to do strikeon the day aftertomorrow.

I didn't buy my own machine until the water heater at the laundromat
broke down and the owner declined to have it repaired. When you put
your dish towels into a washer last used by heaven knows who to wash
heaven knows what, cold water just doesn't cut it.

We should have brought that thirty-year-old Maytag with us when we
moved. My current smart-alec washing machine refuses to allow me to
use hot water. For a while I tried to fool it by shutting off the
cold water, but the timing is tricky because it checks that cold water
is available before starting to fill, and the valves are really hard
to get at.

The old wringer washer provided in the trailer park where we spent
winters after Dad retired is starting to look pretty good.

My mother had a wringer washing machine and to the best of my
knowledge she used it until she died. Which would have been something
like 60 years - assuming that she got it about the time us kids were
born.

I wonder whether a modern washing machine will last 60 years?


They are still being made, but the price is higher than a kite's back,
and I have my suspicions about the quality.

--
Cheers,

John B.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone do weights? Kaiser Sose UK 8 January 11th 07 11:19 AM
Uni Weights... irvinegr Unicycling 13 January 20th 06 12:15 PM
hub weights nickjb Unicycling 5 July 20th 04 11:10 PM
Difference in weights. Simon Mason UK 37 June 7th 04 09:10 AM
Hub and Cranks weights... pluto Unicycling 11 April 15th 04 08:05 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.