Recumbent Trike Opinions

Old October 3rd 03, 02:39 PM
Bobinator

Default Recumbent Trike Opinions

My wife is looking for a recumbent trike and I would like your
opinions on the various trikes on the market. We would like to stay
under $3K. Some of the trikes we have looked at on the web a

Catrike Speed
http://www.catrike.com/

Trimuter
http://www.trimuter.com/

Organic Engines Triclops
http://www.organicengines.com/

WizWheels Terra Trike
http://www.wizwheelz.com/

Are there any others we should consider? I would like to limit my
search to sonething I can get the US without going to extraordinary
lengths--my apologies to my Aussie friends.
Old October 3rd 03, 03:22 PM
DrRecumbnt

Wicks is no longer in the trike business. Jerome Hediger, former Wicks manager,
has left the company and purchased their recumbent inventory. The new company
is Hediger Cycles. Their "Big Wheel" trike is the new model.

I've tested both the Catrike and Wiz. While many compared the two based on
price, they are very different trikes. The Catrike is performance oriented
(low, small, stiff riding) and the Wiz is an all-arounder trike. I believe that
it's the best selling trike in the USA at this time.

We're hearing rumors of new sub $2000 trikes, from Sun and another mfr. to be
introduced at the Interbike trade show in Las Vegas next week. These are 2004
models and likely not to be available until next season.

Bob Bryant
http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com
Old October 3rd 03, 04:46 PM
jbaatjbaz.com

Definitely check out the Penninger site!!

http://www.penningerrecumbents.com/

My wife and I own two(2) Voyagers and we love them..

Also we can quickly hook them together and ride them as a tandem...

Check it out...

Jim Andrews -

On 3 Oct 2003 06:39:11 -0700,
(Bobinator)

Old October 3rd 03, 06:03 PM
rorschandt

wrote:

My wife is looking for a recumbent trike and I would like your
opinions on the various trikes on the market. We would like to stay
under $3K. Some of the trikes we have looked at on the web a

Catrike Speed
http://www.catrike.com/

Trimuter
http://www.trimuter.com/

Organic Engines Triclops
http://www.organicengines.com/

WizWheels Terra Trike
http://www.wizwheelz.com/

Are there any others we should consider? I would like to limit my
search to sonething I can get the US without going to extraordinary
lengths--my apologies to my Aussie friends.

How about a Greenspeed?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=72 98
#ebayphotohosting

(^:

I prefer tadpole trikes(like those you mention) over deltas. I've ridden a
few.
http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/174801833
http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/934061387
http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/844656287
http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/767377690
-- rorschandt
May all beings be happy.
May they be joyous and live in safety.
All living beings, whether weak or strong,
in high or middle or low realms of existence,
small or great, visible or invisible,
near or far, born or to be born,
Let no one deceive another, nor despise any being in any state;
Let none by anger or hatred wish harm to another.
Even as a mother at the risk of her life watches over
and protects her only child,
so with a boundless mind should one cherish all living things,
Old October 3rd 03, 06:34 PM
Ken Kobayashi

wrote:
Are there any others we should consider? I would like to limit my
search to sonething I can get the US without going to extraordinary
lengths--my apologies to my Aussie friends.

Greenspeed trikes are readily available in the US from Hostel Shoppe
(
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/) and other dealers. The GTR is right at
the $3k limit you specified. There's also the Hase Kettweisel at
$3050.

At the other end of the spectrum is the Sun EZ-3 trike
(http://www.easyracers.com/ez_3.htm), at 1/4 the price of the
Greenspeed.

I own a Greenspeed GTO and am very happy with the quality and
performance. It's probably the most comfortable recumbent I've ever
ridden. (Though I haven't tried any American trikes at all, only a few
different Australian and UK models.)
Ken Kobayashi

http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/
Old October 4th 03, 12:50 AM
Jim

My wife really likes the height and ease of
getting on and off of our Penninger Voyager. It
is a delta trike configuration. With delta trike
configurations at least on our Voyager, there is
no concern in regards to wheel alignment.

Penningers are physically heavier but a pleasure
to ride.

Jim

"Bobinator" wrote in
message
om...

Old October 4th 03, 02:21 AM
Jonathan Kaplan

I own a Penninger Voyager and a Wickes (Heidiger?) Trimuter.

The Penninger is like a Lincoln Town car. Comfortable, user friendly, but no
sportscar on turns and kind of lethargic for acceleration. It is enjoyable
to ride and real fun to make turns.

The Trimuter is a green speed copy, but not exactly. The frame geometry is
similar, it holds the road like it's on rails, and is great for touring. The
downside is the incompatibility of GS parts. I converted to GS disk brakes
and had to replace most of the front end with GS parts. The trike rides very
nicely. I have it equipped with the Sachs dualdrive 3x9 and a triple front
crank. It can climb any hill.

If you are near NY or NJ you are welcome to try them.

Old October 4th 03, 04:26 PM
iLiad

Bob,
Over the last few months I have somewhat changed my attitude on the
Wizwheelz trike. Being new to trikes four years ago, I thought overall the
trike
was a good value. I've owned three.
The main thing you have to be concerned about on the TT is it becoming
obsolete by Wizwheelz standards. If you visit their website, and look at the
history of the trike, the 3.2 is considered "vintage". It was introduced in
February of 2001, and the 3.3 replaced it in April of 2002. And I know own a
"vintage" trike. Oh, and the 3.3 has been updated to a 3.4, in less then a
years time frame.
As well, the company sells it customers on items that don't exist. One of
the big questions that a lot of trike owners have is, does it have an option
for fenders. I was sold my first two (one for my wife and I) trikes on the
fact that they would have them in a few months. I then purchased another
later, still getting the same response. In August, the Wizwheelz folks sent
a letter out to me reference their new tandem. I spoke to them about the
dangers of riding a tandem with no fenders, as rocks and debris will shoot
right towards your stoker (partner). I was literally told "They will be on
the website next week, I have seen them with my own eyes". Well, that was
two months ago. Now I see they won't be available on the 3.2 models. This
is very sad. I have purchased three trikes from Wizwheelz, and spent well
over 7000.00 total in upgrades, etc. To make your products obsolete so fast
is a real disservice to your customers. I can't really get excited about
fenders, even if I had a current model, because they likely would be
obsolete soon after.

There are a few design issues I really do not like about the trike. For one,
they advertise an adjustable seat. But, the more you move the seat forward,
the less turning radius you have. And it makes a BIG difference in our
turning radius. This could have been offset by an adjustable boom, which
they did come out with. However, even with the boom fully in, a rider of my
size can not reach the pedals. I am 5'7 inches. Another area are the
pulleys, or chain guides. The pulley is slotted for the pull and return path
of the chain. Meaning, it has two sides. There are two of these, one in the
front, and one in the back. The problem is, the chain moves two ways with
opposing forces, while the pulley only moves one. In essence, they are
fighting each other as you ride. I really don't know how much a difference
it makes on speed, but judging by the extreme angle the chain makes from the
front sprocket to the first pulley, I would say it makes enough of a
difference to slow the trike somewhat. My pulley failed with just over 1000
miles on it from the extra force. They did come out with a stronger pulley,
but that only fixes the symptom, not the problem.
I am going to attempt to guide the chain through and bypass the first pully
by using teflon chain tubes. If I'm succesful I will post a follow up.

I can say that when I recently purchased my GLR, I gained 4+ mph average on
my rides. This is no exaggeration. When I rode with a couple of friends who
have a Windcheetah and a GTO, I was constantly dragging them behind. Now I
am at the same pace as them. It may be somewhat unfair to compare the two
trikes, as a GLR is more expensive, lighter, etc. However, I found it used
for 2900 (with only 200 miles on it) so it was within the price range you
are looking for.

So, after all of that...whew. As far as my recommendation goes, I've owned a
Windcheetah, Wizwheelz, Greenspeed (single and tandem), and have ridden a
Cat Trike, Hotmover, and several home builts.
Out of all of those I personally like the greenspeed. They have excellent
workmanship, are not quickly outdated, and you can get parts fairly easy
from places such as the Hostel Shop.
You can find them used on the IHPVA for sale mailing list. A GTO just sold
there for 2200. It lasted less then 8 hours though as that was a great
price. That is where I found my GLR.

Also, the Catrike is getting a lot of good press. I didn't personally like
it, but I didn't get much stick time in either. I have seen and heard very
little on the Organic Engines trikes. It is heavy though, at 42 pounds.
Won't make much of a difference on flats, but once you hit the hills you
will be able to tell. The trimuter looks pretty sweet and well thought out.
Once again though, it is 42 pounds.

iLiad

om...

Old October 4th 03, 04:33 PM
Philbert

I don't have lots of trike experience, but I've spent some time with the WW
TerraTrike, and the Greenspeed. Of the two, I really liked the WW more.
It's also domestic (Hastings, MI) and cheaper, to boot. The people at WW
are really nice and very helpful. The TTR looks really cool, too, but I
haven't ridden one yet. I'd really like to try out the WindCheetah
Hypersport, too, but major $$ there...

om...