Canti Brakes + Good Pumps

Old April 20th 04, 11:08 PM
Tony B

Default Canti Brakes + Good Pumps

Whoops, spent ages trying to set up my 8-y-o canti brakes (Shimano M600 on a
Saracen TuffTrax MTB) then realised that a) the stem was way shorter on my
new blocks and b) it was also a smaller diameter.

Now, I got them off Wiggle and it does say on the box "M System Compatible"
and there is a whole string of numbers, of which "600" is one... they just
about, only just, fit to work but I need half the lever travel to get the
pads to the rim, and there is only just enough stem on the block to fit
across the spherical washer thing that butts up to the stem. And I had to
wind out the cable adjuster more than I'd like...

So, will they be OK then or what? Or should I just junk them, put the tenner
down to experience and try again?

Also, my new slick tyres seem great but my rubbish pump is struggling to get
beyond 50psi, the sidewall says 85. Any advice on a new pump?

thanks in anticipation,

Tony B

Old April 21st 04, 12:17 AM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Tony B" typed

Also, my new slick tyres seem great but my rubbish pump is struggling to get
beyond 50psi, the sidewall says 85. Any advice on a new pump?

thanks in anticipation,

Zéfal hp-x

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old April 21st 04, 12:43 AM
mark

"Tony B" wrote
Whoops, spent ages trying to set up my 8-y-o canti brakes (Shimano M600 on

Saracen TuffTrax MTB) then realised that a) the stem was way shorter on my
new blocks and b) it was also a smaller diameter.

Now, I got them off Wiggle and it does say on the box "M System

Compatible"
and there is a whole string of numbers, of which "600" is one... they just
about, only just, fit to work but I need half the lever travel to get the
pads to the rim, and there is only just enough stem on the block to fit
across the spherical washer thing that butts up to the stem. And I had to
wind out the cable adjuster more than I'd like...

So, will they be OK then or what? Or should I just junk them, put the

tenner
down to experience and try again?

Have you tried shifting the cable binder bolt to take up some slack in the
cable? My inclination would be to put the tenner down to experience.

Also, my new slick tyres seem great but my rubbish pump is struggling to

get
beyond 50psi, the sidewall says 85. Any advice on a new pump?

Zefal HpX frame pump, Silca floor pump
--
mark

thanks in anticipation,

Tony B

Old April 21st 04, 01:49 AM
Philip TAYLOR

Tony B wrote:

[snip]

Also, my new slick tyres seem great but my rubbish pump is struggling to get
beyond 50psi, the sidewall says 85. Any advice on a new pump?

Tchibo : their stirrup-like pump is pretty d@mn good, and good value too ...

http://tinyurl.com/26ezh

** Phil.

Old April 21st 04, 06:32 AM
Tony B

Tchibo : their stirrup-like pump is pretty d@mn good, and good value too

http://tinyurl.com/26ezh

that looks too good to be true :-) I will get one on order.

Cheers,

Tony B

Old April 21st 04, 06:38 AM
Tony B

Have you tried shifting the cable binder bolt to take up some slack in the
cable?

My cantis have a bit of outer over the fixed cable side of the splitter, so
there is nowt to take up, they just line up properly if you use all the
slack and line up the other (bare) cable with a line on the splitter button-
it's (should be!) easy to set up, the canti arms end up perfectly vertical
staright away but it DOES rather depend on having the right length stems on
the pads :-(

I'll take an old pad into the very LBS, although I hate the man in there,
he's a git...

Thanks for the advice,

Tony B